Zoa's, Hammer , Duncans - melting away

nanchil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

My tank is around 6 months old. Was doing pretty well with usual new tank allege issues... Started with easy zoas, Chalice, Acans, Favias , Hammer Heads and Frogspawn ... Been changing water (20 %) bi weekly and switched to weekly 10% water change couple of months back... All of a sudden my Duncan colony melted away within a 5 days of time... now all my Zoas are melting ... My Hammer is not opening... But mu Favias and Chalice are doing well... Tried couple of easy SPS and they melted away as well... The only major change i did a month back was added a WXM module to control the MP40s... And changed my salt from IO to Red Sea Pro ( Two months back) ... But the corals started melting away in the last two week though ... Any idea ? What am i doing wrong ? Should I take the WXM offline ? Or is it Alk swing ? But all these were doing very good for the last three months ... TIA

Here is my water parameters : ( Red Sea Kit)

Salinity - 1.026
Ca - 450 ~ 460
Alkalinity - 8 ~ 8.5 varies every day
Mg - ~ 1500
Temp - 77 ~ 79

I don't measure Phosphate and Nitrate ... No green algae and clean the glass once in 4 days ...

Thanks

Last edited:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

My tank is around 6 months old. Was doing pretty well with usual new tank allege issues... Started with easy zoas, Chalice, Acans, Favias , Hammer Heads and Frogspawn ... Been changing water (20 %) bi weekly and switched to weekly 10% water change couple of months back... All of a sudden my Duncan colony melted away within a 5 days of time... now all my Zoas are melting ... My Hammer is not opening... But mu Favias and Chalice are doing well... Tried couple of easy SPS and they melted away as well... The only major change i did a month back was added a WXM module to control the MP40s... And changed my salt from IO to Red Sea Pro ( Two months back) ... But the corals started melting away in the last two week though ... Any idea ? What am i doing wrong ? Should I take the WXM offline ? Or is it Alk swing ? But all these were doing very good for the last three months ... TIA

Here is my water parameters : ( Red Sea Kit)

Salinity - 1.026
Ca - 450 ~ 460
Alkalinity - 8 ~ 8.5 varies every day
Mg - ~ 1500
Temp - 77 ~ 79

I don't measure Phosphate and Nitrate ... No green algae and clean the glass once in 4 days ...

Thanks
Could you measure your ammonia nitrite and nitrate? It could be that your water is to clean. Lps and sps need some nitrate and phosphate to thrive.

OP
OP
nanchil

nanchil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you measure your ammonia nitrite and nitrate? It could be that your water is to clean. Lps and sps need some nitrate and phosphate to thrive.

Thanks ... Sure I can do that... Will post the result in couple of hours ... but everything was doing great ... it all started in the last two weeks ... As i said, i didnt change anything other than adding WXM module...

Lloyd Williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks... But I do feed my fishes a lot ... Should I turn off the GFO ?

I turned off skimmer. And GFO is something I run periodically. Instead of all the time run it when levels getting kinda high. You’ll develop a rhythm with your tank in time and it will tell you what it needs. Program equipment to run accordingly

OP
OP
nanchil

nanchil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too clean is definitely a possibility. Being that you're battling an algae outbreak, it's possible that the nuisance algae is consuming your nitrates and phosphates

I were battling initially... but for the last 2-3 months the tank was doing good though. Thanks

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I were battling initially... but for the last 2-3 months the tank was doing good though. Thanks
My coral QT was doing great as well and then all of a sudden my LPS frags started melting just like you are saying. My problem also started occurring after i changed my salt from Reef Crystals to HW Marinemix...alkakinity was going from a salt that is around 12 to around 9. That quick alkalinity swing as well as no nutrients are a killer, in my opinion. My nutrients were non-existent in that tank. I started dosing Sodium Nitrate and the remaining LPS that didn't perish perked back up and my Palys really opened up beautifully! Now, I'm looking into dosing some phosphate to give me that 16:1 Nitrate to Phosphate ratio. I'm currently keeping my nitrate around 2-3ppm.

amazongb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same corals u describe in a low nutrient tank, but I keep my alk steady at 7 dkh due to low nutrient..

OP
OP
nanchil

nanchil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone ... I will turn off GFO and see how the corals react ...

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back