Zoas Laced with hair algae

ReefSCTim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been fighting a hair algae outbreak. Been dosing to reduce nitrites/phos and scrubbing rocks with a brush daily. I’d like to think that I am winning the war but I may just be winning the battles. But I’m really concerned about two Zoa frags that are covered in the hair algae and are seriously starting to affect their growth. I can’t scrub them with a brush. So what should I do to save these frags!?! Suggestions? Thanks!!

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been fighting a hair algae outbreak. Been dosing to reduce nitrites/phos and scrubbing rocks with a brush daily. I’d like to think that I am winning the war but I may just be winning the battles. But I’m really concerned about two Zoa frags that are covered in the hair algae and are seriously starting to affect their growth. I can’t scrub them with a brush. So what should I do to save these frags!?! Suggestions? Thanks!!

Peroxide Dip

One Part 3% Hydrogen Peroxide
Five Parts Saltwater

Leave them in there for 5 Minutes

Algae will be completely gone within a Week.

No Cleaning Or Brushing.

It will Just Disappear

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also Dose the Whole Tank with Peroxide (1 ML Per 10 Gallons) Every Day.

Within a Week or Two the Hair Algae will be Super Weak and you can just Syphon it Out and do a Water Change.

Algae will literally come right off. It will barely be attached.

Brushing Rock is a Waste of Time.

OP
OP
ReefSCTim

ReefSCTim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Peroxide is a new one on me. I dose the Red Sea regimen including NoPox and Phosphate E. Ok to mix?

I feed frozen Mysis two times per day. I saw several folks that feed every other day? I have 8 fish, small and medium. Am I feeding too much? They always look hungry. The flakes, when I’m out of town, seem to make it worse.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Peroxide is a new one on me. I dose the Red Sea regimen including NoPox and Phosphate E. Ok to mix?

I feed frozen Mysis two times per day. I saw several folks that feed every other day? I have 8 fish, small and medium. Am I feeding too much? They always look hungry. The flakes, when I’m out of town, seem to make it worse.

I don't see why not.

I have never had an issue using Peroxide but I do not use those Products.

It depends how much you feed per feeding.

One Person Could feed 10 Times a Day and be Fine and the Next Guy could feed once a Day but Overdoing it.

The Main Thing is to Make Sure all the Food Gets Eaten.

And as Long as you don't have Ammonia and Nitrite and Phosphate and Nitrate are fine then you are Fine.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 37.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back