Zoas look like crap after feeding

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been periodically feeding my Zoa phyto plankton. They always look like crap after they eat. The close up on the food and then a day later look shriveled and faded. They’ll stay that way for a few days before bouncing back. Are they just pooping out their zoanthellea with the food waste? I’m going to stop feeding I’m just wondering what causes this issue.

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i personal don’t feed my zoas any more, they catch what they catch when I feed the tank. I dump phyto in my tank for my pods not my zoas with no ill affects on zoas.
@footgal
I’ve just realized it’s freezing cold phyto from my fridge. So maybe it’s a temp change issue

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t feed my zoas anymore either. I’m sure they get some reefroids and my frozen food has a ton of juice/nano particles in it so they’re growing nicely. They never really showed any feeding response when I did target feed them so I’m not sure if they actually benefitted from the reefroids

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t feed my zoas anymore either. I’m sure they get some reefroids and my frozen food has a ton of juice/nano particles in it so they’re growing nicely. They never really showed any feeding response when I did target feed them so I’m not sure if they actually benefitted from the reefroids
You think the temperature diff between the tank and my phyto is what’s causing them to look like poop? I mean they look horrid for a few days then they come right back.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think the temperature diff between the tank and my phyto is what’s causing them to look like poop? I mean they look horrid for a few days then they come right back.
The corals I feed never look bad after feeding. Try warming up the phyto and see if that helps, I don’t feed phyto at all so I have no idea if it will

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Could be annoying them a bit, but the shriveling is odd. Any way something is wrong with the phyto?

Try not feeding them and see what happens.

Phyto might be too small for them, anyway. Some of mine show a feeding response if I put reef roids or a bit of mysis on them, but it has to rest directly on them for them to curl around.

zoaprince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing happens to some of my zoas. Other's eat just fine.

unfortunately some of my zoas have never bounced back from a feed

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve just realized it’s freezing cold phyto from my fridge. So maybe it’s a temp change issue
The phyto I put in my tank goes straight from fridge to tank but I don’t directly put it on zoas just dump in the water. So anything is possible

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 36 59.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back