Zoas look sus, is this bad?

Obsessed with fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I got a 18 polpy zoas frag yesterday and only 3 of the polpys are open, the rest are half open or closed. One of the open polpys has half of the tentacles missing, another zoas has 1 part of the zoas slightly folded, then the 3rd one looks fine. My other zoas that I have had for a month looks fine, sane as my mushroom. I appreciate any replys.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it some time to get comfortable . If parameters are good and you acclimated the slowly they should be fine s long as they were healthy when you got them . But be patient for at least a day or two before you start to worry

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok, I got a 18 polpy zoas frag yesterday and only 3 of the polpys are open, the rest are half open or closed. One of the open polpys has half of the tentacles missing, another zoas has 1 part of the zoas slightly folded, then the 3rd one looks fine. My other zoas that I have had for a month looks fine, sane as my mushroom. I appreciate any replys.
Being new, allow them to adjust to new environment. In the meantime, assure they are not in sand bed but Rather, lower half of tank under moderate light and water flow. Feed 2x per week

OP
OP
Obsessed with fish

Obsessed with fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being new, allow them to adjust to new environment. In the meantime, assure they are not in sand bed but Rather, lower half of tank under moderate light and water flow. Feed 2x per week
Ok, today I will cut the tab off the zoas and attach it to my rock, and thankfully i bought frozen food especially for my zoas, thankyou for your reply.
Give it some time to get comfortable . If parameters are good and you acclimated the slowly they should be fine s long as they were healthy when you got them . But be patient for at least a day or two before you start to worry
I forgot to acclimate them, I did to my other zoas, but not the new one, will it die, thankyou for your reply.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a big oops!!! , I hope they make it , always acclimate fish and coral!!! :oops:
Not much you can do now but watch them carefully .

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll know , theyll start to recede and melt .call it a night and see how they look tomorrow . I’d run carbon if you aren’t already

OP
OP
Obsessed with fish

Obsessed with fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas don't need to be fed.
I agree give it time. They will either open up or stay closed and melt. Disappear
D
I'll announce that they have died in the build thread if it happens, if they open up ill also announce this, thankyou.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is more in "i swear it works, i heard it somewhere" category, but iodine really does the trick for zoas.....

I had some pink zoas, two little heads, for months. More closed than open....
Also green, brown green, they looked ok, but really no growth, this was all small frags,few heads... And stayed that for months.

So, i started to dose iodine, one drop per 100l, every night. Zoas exploded, that little pink now have 9 heads, in about a month, i can swear that its poping new head daily. Red zoas, 2 heads, closed most of time its now 8 head buttons, gorgeous dark red color....

So, maybe this dont have anything with dosing iodine, maybe something else is responsible, but, reall it cannot hurt, few drops daily, and see what happens.

OP
OP
Obsessed with fish

Obsessed with fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is more in "i swear it works, i heard it somewhere" category, but iodine really does the trick for zoas.....

Also green, brown green, they looked ok, but really no growth, this was all small frags,few heads... And stayed that for months.

So, i started to dose iodine, one drop per 100l, every night. Zoas exploded, that little pink now have 9 heads, in about a month, i can swear that its poping new head daily. Red zoas, 2 heads, closed most of time its now 8 head buttons, gorgeous dark red color....

So, maybe this dont have anything with dosing iodine, maybe something else is responsible, but, reall it cannot hurt, few drops daily, and see what happens.
Thankyou for your tip.

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals are some of the longest living animals on earth and I presume coral colonies like zoas technically can live forever….

So I would give them a few days to settle in :face-with-tears-of-joy:

I think moving corals always stresses them out way more than we might think. Especially something that was just fragged. They’re coming from different parameters, different salinity, kh, ph, no3, mg, ca, etc. not to mention the rapid temp swings. It’s really amazing how a coral can withstand all of that over the course of a ~day or two. I wouldn’t worry. I had GSP and zoas that wouldnt open for days then some that would open right up.

Don’t do anything special. Do not dose anything especially if your tank is a one gallon pico reef. Just use some “reef” salt like reef crystals or coral pro which contains proper levels of elements and that’s where all your elements come from. If your other corals are happy then your new ones will be too in due time.

Also, a golden rule is to always acclimate fish and corals however, I personally have never acclimated a coral. Granted I only have zoanthids, palys, gsp, and a frogspawn so that may not be the case with less hardy specimens. But I really feel like it’s best to just get them in the tank as quick as possible when lights are out and don’t mess with them for a day or two.

Dipping your corals— yes, I would do that for sure. I’ve had my luck so far with only buying from a single person who already dips them for me.

Last edited:

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best practice is to float, dip, and add directly to the tank, slowly acclimating corals does more harm than good. The sooner you can get them into flowing water so that they can properly respirate, the better. Corals and anemones take in and expel water through diffusion, they are self-acclimating. Fish and anything that has hemoglobin should still be drip acclimated (if in transport for less than a couple hours), especially clams and more sensitive inverts, but corals and anemones should just go directly Into the tank.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A few drops of iodine a day (even one drop) in a half gallon tank is going to kill everything in the tank. You can dip corals in a fairly strong iodine solution, but prolonged exposure to high levels is not good.

OP
OP
Obsessed with fish

Obsessed with fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals are some of the longest living animals on earth and I presume coral colonies like zoas technically can live forever….

So I would give them a few days to settle in :face-with-tears-of-joy:

I think moving corals always stresses them out way more than we might think. Especially something that was just fragged. They’re coming from different parameters, different salinity, kh, ph, no3, mg, ca, etc. not to mention the rapid temp swings. It’s really amazing how a coral can withstand all of that over the course of a ~day or two. I wouldn’t worry. I had GSP and zoas that wouldnt open for days then some that would open right up.

Don’t do anything special. Do not dose anything especially if your tank is a one gallon pico reef. Just use some “reef” salt like reef crystals or coral pro which contains proper levels of elements and that’s where all your elements come from. If your other corals are happy then your new ones will be too in due time.

Also, a golden rule is to always acclimate fish and corals however, I personally have never acclimated a coral. Granted I only have zoanthids, palys, gsp, and a frogspawn so that may not be the case with less hardy specimens. But I really feel like it’s best to just get them in the tank as quick as possible when lights are out and don’t mess with them for a day or two.

Dipping your corals— yes, I would do that for sure. I’ve had my luck so far with only buying from a single person who already dips them for me.
Thankyou for the long reply, I really appreciate this.

OP
OP
Obsessed with fish

Obsessed with fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best practice is to float, dip, and add directly to the tank, slowly acclimating corals does more harm than good. The sooner you can get them into flowing water so that they can properly respirate, the better. Corals and anemones take in and expel water through diffusion, they are self-acclimating. Fish and anything that has hemoglobin should still be drip acclimated (if in transport for less than a couple hours), especially clams and more sensitive inverts, but corals and anemones should just go directly Into the tank.
Thankyou for the long reply and sharing your knowledge!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back