Zoas wont open and are puffy

Thatreefguy88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered zoas off line, and it took almost three days. When they arrived, the water temp was 72 degrees, and they were tightly closed. I acclamated them for an hour due to the fact the water was so cold, and placed them at the bottom of the tank. That was four days ago, and only one plug has shown any sign of life. The other two have not opened. Some on one plug have become "fat" and remine closed. Any chance they will survive? Tank parameters salinity 1.025, alk 9.5, calcium 490, ph 8.2, magnesium 1270, temp 78 degrees, phosphates .06, nitrates 8.4.

20221205_145432.jpg 20221205_145438.jpg

Vagabond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
If you haven't already, i would contact the seller and try working something out with them.Most likely they won't make it.Had the same issue over the summer with couple high end zoa order that didn't make it.Eventually got credit for it.

OP
OP
T

Thatreefguy88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't already, i would contact the seller and try working something out with them.Most likely they won't make it.Had the same issue over the summer with couple high end zoa order that didn't make it.Eventually got credit for it.
Unfortunately, they won't refund anything since it wasn't DOA, and they said they were not responsible for the shipping being delayed.

Vagabond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Unfortunately, they won't refund anything since it wasn't DOA, and they said they were not responsible for the shipping being delayed.
My order wasn't dead when it arrived either, took over a week for the zoas to eventually melt away.
When I order online, i go with Golden State Corals,and Vivid Aquariums.I've also purchased from at least two people here on R2R.I would never purchase from anyone who refuses to work something out so that both parties are content.

Bot587

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if the mat is not melting/shrinking, just give them time. They may melt, but I have had zoa deliveries that took around two weeks to open.

I wouldn’t lose hope until the mat begins melting/shrinking. Don’t move them until they are happy, this will only stress them more.

3 days and 72 temp isn’t horrible given that some of mine have been through a 10 minute 3% peroxide dip after being sliced off a base with a razor blade.

out of curiosity what kinds of zoas?

OP
OP
T

Thatreefguy88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My order wasn't dead when it arrived either, took over a week for the zoas to eventually melt away.
When I order online, i go with Golden State Corals,and Vivid Aquariums.I've also purchased from at least two people here on R2R.I would never purchase from anyone who refuses to work something out so that both parties are content.
It might be worth a shot. ‍♂️ thank you for your help.

OP
OP
T

Thatreefguy88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if the mat is not melting/shrinking, just give them time. They may melt, but I have had zoa deliveries that took around two weeks to open.

I wouldn’t lose hope until the mat begins melting/shrinking. Don’t move them until they are happy, this will only stress them more.

3 days and 72 temp isn’t horrible given that some of mine have been through a 10 minute 3% peroxide dip after being sliced off a base with a razor blade.

out of curiosity what kinds of zoas?
They have released some zooxanthellae as well. Any suggestions on what I could do to possibly improve their chances? Cover them, perhaps? Radioactive dragon eye, and Spiderman zoa.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered zoas off line, and it took almost three days. When they arrived, the water temp was 72 degrees, and they were tightly closed. I acclamated them for an hour due to the fact the water was so cold, and placed them at the bottom of the tank. That was four days ago, and only one plug has shown any sign of life. The other two have not opened. Some on one plug have become "fat" and remine closed. Any chance they will survive? Tank parameters salinity 1.025, alk 9.5, calcium 490, ph 8.2, magnesium 1270, temp 78 degrees, phosphates .06, nitrates 8.4.

20221205_145432.jpg 20221205_145438.jpg

Yes, there is a chance. "Cover them" no. They need light and stability. I've had healthy ones take almost that long (and then almost 6 months before they began creating more... but now they are my star of tank!) ...

If its not for sure dead, then there is hope. Phyto added as same time food goes in water perks up some aquatic filter feeders/organisms (flame scallops/clams) ... don't know if it makes a difference for zoas, but my zoas get the benefit of periodic treats like phyto with their regular food.

Fingers crossed. Let us know how it turns out!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back