Zoathids long strings when feeding

Jimjam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started spot feeding my Zoathids. Had some long mucus like strings coming from one colony. The strings were the same color as the Zoa’s. Is this just a reaction to feeding? Or is this some stress type response? Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started spot feeding my Zoathids. Had some long mucus like strings coming from one colony. The strings were the same color as the Zoa’s. Is this just a reaction to feeding? Or is this some stress type response? Any info is appreciated. Thanks.
If it only happens when feeding then they're either trying to trap the food or recognizing it as just foreign material that needs to be removed. Did they eat any that you could clearly see or show a positive response to the food as well? If so, did you turn off your powerhead during feeding so they could trap it with their tentacles? If not, they might not particularly like that food and just want to remove it like they would sand or silt.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jimjam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it only happens when feeding then they're either trying to trap the food or recognizing it as just foreign material that needs to be removed. Did they eat any that you could clearly see or show a positive response to the food as well? If so, did you turn off your powerhead during feeding so they could trap it with their tentacles? If not, they might not particularly like that food and just want to remove it like they would sand or silt.
That’s for the responses. I’ll try pics next time. Much appreciated.

Upvote 0

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back