Zonly1's 210 Gallon Playground

Zonly1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers!

So, a brief intro. I've been hanging around here for a while, but I'm not a heavy poster and this is my first time posting a tank build thread. I've been reefing since around 2002 starting out with a 125 gallon mixed reef and then adding a 90 gallon aggressive tank. In 2015 my company moved me to from Utah to Northern California, so got rid of most of my stuff, it was rough. There I had a 20 gallon tank in an apartment for two years...not the same! Well, we moved back to Utah and it is time to get back into the game!

This will more than likely be a very slow build, but that's okay! Here is the start:

Here is the room that we decided to use.

Inthebegining.jpg

I did not want the tank on the carpet (been there, done that) so decided to tile. Notice on the upper left, I had the tile setter cut out a piece of tile so I can plumb down to the basement for the sump, etc.
AlmostThere.jpg

Here we are ready for some tank action.

Carpettiledone.jpg

I bought the tank and stand from a buddy and had another buddy help deliver it and here is the arrival!

Thearrival.jpg

All ready for the fun to begin!

completetank.jpg

Here is the basement area directly below the tank.

basement.jpg

So, this is my beginning. I do have some of the equipment from before like my Apex, MP40s, AI Sol Blues, etc. but things have really taken off technology wise so I'm open to suggestions. I need to figure out a return pump that is easy on the electric bill, but is suitable for a basement sump as well as lighting; I only have 2 of the Sol Blues and this is a 6' tank...not gonna cut it!

The other thing that I'm worried about is plumbing. The tank is a reef-ready with a durso set-up. Am I okay with that, what have others done?

Thanks for looking and I'm glad to be this close to being back!

SDReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following! What are your plans for the sump/refugium? If I had that much space under the tank, I'd have a large stock tank or trough to act as a large refugium so that nutrients would never be a problem in addition to the benefit of more water volume.

OP
OP
Zonly1

Zonly1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have a sump as pictured, but definitely want to incorporate a large refugium as well. Thanks for following along!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh wow love the flooring and following along!

dbraun15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you're off to a great start! I currently have a 220 and look forward to seeing what you do with it.

OP
OP
Zonly1

Zonly1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I want to be easy on the electric bill with my return pump, but not liking what I see for head pressure ratings and reliability for DC pumps. I sure am not looking to spend over $1k for an Abyzz. I know that the Pan World pumps are pretty highly rated, but they are not very power friendly. I'm now looking at the Dart/Snapper Hybrid. Looks like quite the pump and much easier on the power bill. Any thoughts?

OP
OP
Zonly1

Zonly1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I am thinking about plumbing. This is a reef-ready tank, so I'm thinking one return, two overflows and one emergency overflow. This would be powered by a Dart/Snapper Hybrid and using 1.5" rigid/flex for all. Inside the tank, I'm thinking either two MP40's or a Maxspect XF250 with or without a MP40. Am I on the right path? Any suggestions?

dbraun15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep...one return pump and 2 MP40's would do the trick. What's the purpose of the Emergency overflow? You'll have a sump, correct? That should provide enough space for safety if the power goes out, etc.

OP
OP
Zonly1

Zonly1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, one return pump going to one return, I pulled the trigger on a Reeflo Dart/Snapper. The emergency overflow would be for the extreme case that the other two fail...I've had overflow issues in the past and would rather overthink it then have a problem. Happy wife/happy life kind of thing. :)

OP
OP
Zonly1

Zonly1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Minor update. Holes have been drilled and the plumbing is somewhat in progress. Bought a Reeflo Dart/Snapper Hybrid. The tank came with 1" bulkheads. I measured the holes and found that I can upgrade to 1.25 bulkheads. So, the plan is to now plumb with 1.25 spa flex and I'm going to replace the Durso system with Herbie (thanks @Mini Coop ). Still need to frame the basement, so moved my air compressor down and borrowed a nail gun, just need to find a few hours! :)

Holes!
Holes.jpg

Oh, Snap!
dart.jpg

Parts is parts

fittings_C.jpg

Really, I'm ready.
Basement_lumber_C.jpg

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! Thanks for stopping by! Your thread has really helped me!

I’m really glad! Yes, please learn from my mistakes! LOL there are a lot of Build threads on here that have helped me, so that was my hope and creating one. Good luck and let me know if I can help in any other way!

OP
OP
Zonly1

Zonly1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have ~200 lbs of rock, but none of them are really nice big pieces. So, ordered some jumbo Pukani from BRS and I am stoked with what they sent!

Rock.jpg

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome pieces!!!
I spent SO much time on my rock! Weeks constructing on the floor - then ended up changing it ALL when it went in the tank. lol.

OP
OP
Zonly1

Zonly1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I was pretty impressed. When I first looked at the box it was punctured and I thought, oh no, but it came out fine! I hear you on rock time, lol. All of my other rock is still packed up...guess it's time to pull it out and see what I've got!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 29 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.0%
Back