AliExpress A8SE Reef Light

bkhunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my X30 lights today.

Anyone else have trouble getting app to connect to their WiFi?

bkhunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AIPAI app users HELP!!!

I can connect to the light in my WiFi settings

I can open the app and click yes to direct connect and go into light setting.

I can see my router in the WiFi connection list.

I can put in my password but it will not link with my router. Have reset router and light. Deleted app and reinstalled. Restarted iPhone.

I have also tried on my android tablet and can only get to the same point where it won’t connect to router.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AIPAI app users HELP!!!

I can connect to the light in my WiFi settings

I can open the app and click yes to direct connect and go into light setting.

I can see my router in the WiFi connection list.

I can put in my password but it will not link with my router. Have reset router and light. Deleted app and reinstalled. Restarted iPhone.

I have also tried on my android tablet and can only get to the same point where it won’t connect to router.
Most problems like this are due to 5GhZ issues
if your router does both 2.4 and 5Ghz routing....

You need to look up how to possibly fix this and if not fixable just use the access point (or bluetooth) method of hooking up the lights.

bkhunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Most problems like this are due to 5GhZ issues
if your router does both 2.4 and 5Ghz routing....

You need to look up how to possibly fix this and if not fixable just use the access point (or bluetooth) method of hooking up the lights.
I am using the 2.4 connection. That is what is required for the lights and also the only one it gives my a choice to connect to.

The lights do not have a wired port or Bluetooth connection on them. Bluetooth would make it nice. I have emailed their support but unsure how long it will take to get reply due to time difference.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using the 2.4 connection. That is what is required for the lights and also the only one it gives my a choice to connect to.

The lights do not have a wired port or Bluetooth connection on them. Bluetooth would make it nice. I have emailed their support but unsure how long it will take to get reply due to time difference.
And the router has 2 different SSID's between the 2 frequencies?

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine finally arrived a8se and looks pretty nice from what I can tell. The app is not half bad, but the one issue that I haven't figured out is when after you have everything configured and linked, if you loose power, when it comes back on it has lost its wifi settings. Has anyone figured out how to solve that issue? Would be a pain to have to go through the wifi setup everytime power is lost, but maybe I am missing something, @Matt1997 is there anyway to have the unit keep the wifi settings after power loss?

Thanks

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the router has 2 different SSID's between the 2 frequencies?
Agree I had no issues getting it to connect to my wireless AP but I have 2 different ssid's for 2.4 and 5g networks. I think it and most of theis stuff does not want to see a shared ssid, it needs to be dedicated to 2.4ghz frequency.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree I had no issues getting it to connect to my wireless AP but I have 2 different ssid's for 2.4 and 5g networks. I think it and most of theis stuff does not want to see a shared ssid, it needs to be dedicated to 2.4ghz frequency.
Well I had some custom driver/controllers built for me using the ESP32 chip and probably a bunch of the canned instruction sets and built on the Aduino err 'language" (is that a correct use of that?) and I run an EERO mesh w/ no way to differentiate between 2.4 and 5GHz besides a switch in the EERO that will turn off the 5GHz radio for a bit.
I've had no connection problems whatsoever..

Got to be something in their either sloppy programming or ultra cheap WIFI chips (with their bad firmware?) or both.

There really is no excuse in my opinion for the bad wifi implementation on many of these chinese budget lights.
Thing is I believe they just steal from each other thus propagating the same errors.

Now that said I'
m no IT guy soo ????

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I had some custom driver/controllers built for me using the ESP32 chip and probably a bunch of the canned instruction sets and built on the Aduino err 'language" (is that a correct use of that?) and I run an EERO mesh w/ no way to differentiate between 2.4 and 5GHz besides a switch in the EERO that will turn off the 5GHz radio for a bit.
I've had no connection problems whatsoever..

Got to be something in their either sloppy programming or ultra cheap WIFI chips (with their bad firmware?) or both.

There really is no excuse in my opinion for the bad wifi implementation on many of these chinese budget lights.
Thing is I believe they just steal from each other thus propagating the same errors.

Now that said I'
m no IT guy soo ????
Eh I am an IT guy for a looong time, lol...I think its all about saving money, almost all the stuff I have seen in aquarium world is using 2.4 wifi stuff, its cheap and every person has at least 2.4 so thats what they go with. It should work either way but I know I have my 2.4/5 frequencies on different SSID's and ive never had any issues. Honestly I don't even care if it does wifi, as long as I can connect to them and configure them, thats all I care about. I wish it would allow you to just direct link and save the conf to them and be done with it, so far from the little time playing with it I cannot get it to keep the settings after a power loss.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh I am an IT guy for a looong time, lol...I think its all about saving money, almost all the stuff I have seen in aquarium world is using 2.4 wifi stuff, its cheap and every person has at least 2.4 so thats what they go with. It should work either way but I know I have my 2.4/5 frequencies on different SSID's and ive never had any issues. Honestly I don't even care if it does wifi, as long as I can connect to them and configure them, thats all I care about. I wish it would allow you to just direct link and save the conf to them and be done with it, so far from the little time playing with it I cannot get it to keep the settings after a power loss.
So you don't just have an access point mode to connect to them?
Some do bluetooth..

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you don't just have an access point mode to connect to them?
Some do bluetooth..
No, I had no issue connecting to my Wifi, I was replying to @bkhunt that was having issues, I dont think I had any issues since I have 2 ssid's like you were mentioning, one for 2.4 and one for 5g, mine connected right up. The issue I am seeing is if you pull power and re-apply, it does not save the wifi settings and you have to re-configure it. I may be missing something but would like it to save those settings so when it comes back up it re-connects but haven't figure out if that is an option.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine finally arrived a8se and looks pretty nice from what I can tell. The app is not half bad, but the one issue that I haven't figured out is when after you have everything configured and linked, if you loose power, when it comes back on it has lost its wifi settings. Has anyone figured out how to solve that issue? Would be a pain to have to go through the wifi setup everytime power is lost, but maybe I am missing something, @Matt1997 is there anyway to have the unit keep the wifi settings after power loss?

Thanks

Even with cV driver I would want a UPS in front of any LEDs. Any reason you are not running a UPS? That would address your issue.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I had no issue connecting to my Wifi, I was replying to @bkhunt that was having issues, I dont think I had any issues since I have 2 ssid's like you were mentioning, one for 2.4 and one for 5g, mine connected right up. The issue I am seeing is if you pull power and re-apply, it does not save the wifi settings and you have to re-configure it. I may be missing something but would like it to save those settings so when it comes back up it re-connects but haven't figure out if that is an option.
Oh you mean the light schedule isn't saved?
When you said wifi settings I thought you meant network connection.

Kind of odd the schedule would be put in volatile memory.
But probably saved them 20 cents..
But to be honest not surprising.

in the old days when the design fails best to replace the unit with something different than try to fight with the glitches..

At this point it just looks like a "feature"......

Last edited:

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even with cV driver I would want a UPS in front of any LEDs. Any reason you are not running a UPS? That would address your issue.
Eh ups's are only good for a very short duration outage, I just want it to come back up and restore the last configuration. I restarted the light from the app and it still comes back up unable to connect to wifi.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh you mean the light schedule isn't saved?
When you said wifi settings I thought you meant network connection.

Kind of odd the schedule would be put in volatile memory.
But probably saved them 20 cents..
But to be honest not surprising.

in the old days when the design fails best to replace the unit with something different than try to fight with the glitches..

At this point it just looks like a "feature"......
No the wifi settings appear to not be saved when you restart it or lose power, you have to connect directly to the light and reconfigure the wifi connection. Maybe now that I think about it thats not a bad idea, but if you loose power during the day your not going to have any lights on your tank, if your on vacation and loose power, ouch....lol. It could be that I am missing something but I am saving the device and configuration but looks like it needs to get the information from the app etc, so its not saving anything on the light itself from what I can tell.

Last edited:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No the wifi settings appear to not be saved when you restart it or lose power, you have to connect directly to the light and reconfigure the wifi connection. Maybe now that I think about it thats not a bad idea, but if you loose power during the day your not going to have any lights on your tank, if your on vacation and loose power, ouch....lol. It could be that I am missing something but I am saving the device and configuration but looks like it needs to get the information from the app etc, so its not saving anything on the light itself from what I can tell.
I've never known anything that "erased" its wifi settings after a power outage.
My own little custom ones has the "bug" that after a power outage I need to hit the esp32's reset button but the network logon is then automatic.
That is stored on the esp chip I assume not on the phone app.

I guess you are looking for a "save settings" type button that probably doesn't exist.

Losing the network is one thing, losing the settings is another.

I'd open the light and see if there is a button battery on the board.and if so replace it.
Or a remote possibility.. Does the phone auto hook to the 5g and can you set it to just use your 2.4?
Long shot.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never known anything that "erased" its wifi settings after a power outage.
My own little custom ones has the "bug" that after a power outage I need to hit the esp32's reset button but the network logon is then automatic.
That is stored on the esp chip I assume not on the phone app.

I guess you are looking for a "save settings" type button that probably doesn't exist.

Losing the network is one thing, losing the settings is another.

I'd open the light and see if there is a button battery on the board.and if so replace it.
Or a remote possibility.. Does the phone auto hook to the 5g and can you set it to just use your 2.4?
Long shot.
Yeah the app is fine it saves the settings but what I am seeing is when I power cycle the light it does not connect to the wifi when it comes back up, you have to manually connect to it and reconfigure wifi. I dunno maybe im not doing something write, but I save device, etc but its not saving the configuration to the light that I can see, have done it multiple times.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the app is fine it saves the settings but what I am seeing is when I power cycle the light it does not connect to the wifi when it comes back up, you have to manually connect to it and reconfigure wifi. I dunno maybe im not doing something write, but I save device, etc but its not saving the configuration to the light that I can see, have done it multiple times.
Well the way I see it is the app is just a shell sort of.
The light itself should reconnect to the network
The phone should only confirm that connection.
Or in this case see that the lights isn't on line and assume you need to reconnect.

Any other way seems as backwards.
I'd still check for a battery inside the light.

For every controller I used. I've never needed the app to restart the light.

Confirm it's connected ...sure.
Adjust it, sure.

Wifi ic on the light should do all the heavy lifting

Patx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't help you...
But i can say that i plugged /unplugged the power a lot today.
It always turn on , on schedule.

I have trouble the first day...
because i didn't change the GMT (in profil)... and let the app in english... etc...

bkhunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't help you...
But i can say that i plugged /unplugged the power a lot today.
It always turn on , on schedule.

I have trouble the first day...
because i didn't change the GMT (in profil)... and let the app in english... etc...
I am still figuring out my lights. Had to use a mobile hotspot because app would not connect to my router.

I am unsure right now but I think mine had lost the program when I unplugged them. I was playing with the app to much to be 100% sure.

Why would you not leave the app in English?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 89 49.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back