AliExpress A8SE Reef Light

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still figuring out my lights. Had to use a mobile hotspot because app would not connect to my router.

I am unsure right now but I think mine had lost the program when I unplugged them. I was playing with the app to much to be 100% sure.

Why would you not leave the app in English?
Supposedly the app runs less buggy in Chinese vs English, set it up using English but then switch to Chinese for it to run. I've tried it multiple ways but at least for me it's not keeping it's programming when I power cycle the unit.

Patx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supposedly the app runs less buggy in Chinese vs English, set it up using English but then switch to Chinese for it to run. I've tried it multiple ways but at least for me it's not keeping it's programming when I power cycle the unit.
Sound like you don't "save" your routine before leaving...
But you surely did... right?

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sound like you don't "save" your routine before leaving...
But you surely did... right?
Yeah I save the device, what appears to be happening is that the routine is still saved it's just the wireless settings that are lost. If I direct connect to it, still running what was saved but the buttons are flashing and not connected to wifi. Going to play around with it some more but for me I cannot get the WiFi settings to stick.

Update, looks like I got a dude, the light looks great but I cannot get it to save the settings. It saves but if I pull the power it comes up brain dead until I reconnect to it, looses both wireless settings and configuration. Pretty sure trying to return it will be fruitless, lol. If you can get it working they appear to throw out a ton of light and it's nice spectrum.

Last edited:

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp I think I got a lemon, going to try to process a return, that should be a hoot, lol. Says free returns and will see how it goes. I've spent way to much time trying to get it to work properly, its a shame since the app is pretty decent and the light looks really nice, but at least for this unit when I save my settings to the device none of them remain after a power cycle. Comes up flashing buttons and in an off state, wifi settings are lost and when I direct connect to the unit the time is not correct and it has to update everything. I know most computers have a battery to maintain settings or some kind of nvram that saves things, something is not working properly with this unit, real shame.

Will post an update when I hear back and what the final resolution is when I have one.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp I think I got a lemon, going to try to process a return, that should be a hoot, lol. Says free returns and will see how it goes. I've spent way to much time trying to get it to work properly, its a shame since the app is pretty decent and the light looks really nice, but at least for this unit when I save my settings to the device none of them remain after a power cycle. Comes up flashing buttons and in an off state, wifi settings are lost and when I direct connect to the unit the time is not correct and it has to update everything. I know most computers have a battery to maintain settings or some kind of nvram that saves things, something is not working properly with this unit, real shame.

Will post an update when I hear back and what the final resolution is when I have one.
I hope you get a great resolution that will help in instilling trust in the manufacturer

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you get a great resolution that will help in instilling trust in the manufacturer
It happens, the light appears to be working but I cannot get it to save any of my settings which makes it not usable. Every time I open the app and go into the light settings its asks to update the time etc, something is just not quite right. They may have some suggestions, I am running a newer version 2.1.1 and maybe something related with that.

Patx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello it's me again

Same as me... "asking update time"
Automatic hrs don't work good.

Have you change GMT manually?
App stop to ask and its was working good.

Screenshot_20231229_155945_AIPAI.jpg Screenshot_20231229_155957_AIPAI.jpg

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello it's me again

Same as me... "asking update time"
Automatic hrs don't work good.

Have you change GMT manually?
App stop to ask and its was working good.

Screenshot_20231229_155945_AIPAI.jpg Screenshot_20231229_155957_AIPAI.jpg
Yup I've done all that, set the timezone first thing, but like I said as soon as I power cycle the light everything is lost, wifi settings, schedule and time....another thing that I see with yours is your running 2.1.0, I'm running 2.1.1, maybe there is something wonky in the newer version.

Patx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup I've done all that, set the timezone first thing, but like I said as soon as I power cycle the light everything is lost, wifi settings, schedule and time....another thing that I see with yours is your running 2.1.0, I'm running 2.1.1, maybe there is something wonky in the newer version.
Maybe... strange thing...
Did you talk to the seller ?
Factory reset will not downgrade to 2.1.0 i supposed?

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe... strange thing...
Did you talk to the seller ?
Factory reset will not downgrade to 2.1.0 i supposed?
I have reached out to the sellers, nothing yet. The older apk is not listed on the website for download just the newer one.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried the older apk and while it acts differently, the results are the same. I will just have to wait and see what they have to say. There is an option to update firmware but it doesn't appear to work, at this point I have tried everything that I can think of and nothing has solved the issue.

Patx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't say you didn't try !

Wondering, do you have the green dot or the red dot in the app...
See my first pic...
I remember it's was ok when the dot was green...

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't say you didn't try !

Wondering, do you have the green dot or the red dot in the app...
See my first pic...
I remember it's was ok when the dot was green...
Yeah it's green until I reboot it, it's just not saving the information in the light. Works fine while power is applied, but loses all the information when rebooted.

Haim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here is my 6 month review.

I have had the light running on my sps only tank (6 months old) since January of this year. I bought it for $250 USD shipped with a North American power supply. It is as close to a radion as you will ever see. The fans are the same, the lens cover is the same, the housing is near identical with the main difference being the cord runs through the back of this light. The LED count, color and type is the same. I have dissembled my radion G5s to compare components and the only striking difference is the radions run a 10 channel system controlling all colors of leds while the A8 runs 6 and the radion uses Bluetooth connectivity while the A8 uses wifi (will touch more on this).

I currently have the light running beside two g5 XR30 blues and 95% of people would not be able to tell the difference. The color blends perfectly and the par is actually slightly higher than that produced by the radions. The A8 runs a warmer color overall and more closely resembles the pro version of the radion but with minor tweaks in color you can produce the “radion blue” look with very similar par results. With the light set to full intensity I was pushing well over 800 par in the upper parts of the tank. I currently have it set to about 75% blue channels and 20-30% whites and reds and am achieving 600+ par at the top 6” and 150-250 on the bottom 24” down.

Upon first setup I initially struggled with programming the light as it is in Chinese and the English app was not functional at the time. With the help of Google translate and some back and fourth with the supplier I managed to get the Chinese app working while they made improvements to the English app (which is now fully functional). After setup I took the time to create a manual for the light that I provided to the supplier with illustrations on how to program the Chinese app if you only know English. Feel free to reach out and I will provide the document.

As for the connection. I have found it more reliable than the radions Mobius. I have come home many times to my radions being out of schedule, changing times, and only running red/green/individual channels. In all my time with the A8 I only lost connectivity twice. The first time the power went out and the light was running 1h behind schedule until I opened the app and set to current time. The other time the light must have completely lost connectivity and reset to the default 5% on all channels until I reconnected.

Now does it grow coral? Absolutely and oddly enough all my most vivid pieces are underneath the A8.

I have been so impressed with this light that I put my radion G5s up for sale. I figured for the price I sell my G5s for I can purchase about 10 of these lights as they give a discount on 10 units. In all aspects I see that as a win.
Hello Matt,

I would be very grateful if you could send me operating instructions in English for A8.

Haim
[email protected]

bkhunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I an having issues with time and losing program also on the X30 blue.

I also setup the program and the lights will not run the program. Have exited the app - restarted lights from the pull down menu on top right.

The directions for all are nonexistent and it is all guessing.

Matt1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Have not tested the x30 blue version yet. I will test it soon and post any tricks I find.

bkhunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have not tested the x30 blue version yet. I will test it soon and post any tricks I find.
I just hung 4 of them yesterday. Have run into a few hiccups so far. All have been app related. I had them linked and had nothing but problems. I undid that and each is individual they seem to operating properly. There is a big difference in the app between English and Chinese though. The biggest is there are 6 channels on the English and 8 channels on the Chinese so I think that is part of the issue. I could not get the app to connect to my router so I got a $20 access point and connected right away.

I will be waiting to see you input also.

wmv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I see a lot of people have tried out these "Radions" but has anyone here ordered a "waterbox"?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 92 48.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back