Anemone spitting out intestines?

BlakeK.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty sure my anemone is dying. It was doing great for about a week. It was eating mysis shrimp and seemed happy, but it’s mouth started gaping in the last hour and looks like it’s spitting out it’s innards. Do I try to save it? Or should I take it out right away? At what point do I have to worry about it nuking the tank? It’s a small anemone in a 50 gallon tank. However, the tank is fairly new. I’ve had it up for 2 months but all the rocks and fish and everything came from a 10 month old tank. Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys.

269e087b9b33029c534b0d1c52a098af.jpg

68b131896a396a4ae4e5b39f25f0ac71.jpg
e5317ab64bf4f0e7c84848ef047f0f0d.jpg

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It still look bubbly though .. I don't think it's dying but then I'm not an expert ..

OP
OP
B

BlakeK.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank?

I mentioned it in there. Ive had it for 2 months, BUT everything came from a 10 month old tank with the exception of the addition of about 20 pounds more of dry rock when I first received it.

OP
OP
B

BlakeK.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
015b2cae5898635aecf70b76f2368866.jpg

Here’s another picture from within the last 5 minutes. Almost looks like it’s just throwing up all the mysis shrimp? Is that normal? I heard they “throw up their intestines” when they’re dying, but don’t know how true that is. Maybe this is just how they poo?

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has done this before a couple times. Not sure why but it's healthy. I'd like to know though

OP
OP
B

BlakeK.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has done this before a couple times. Not sure why but it's healthy. I'd like to know though

Yeah, wow he finally just spit it out and then closed back up. Had no idea they did that. Clownfish tried picking at it after he was done. Weird

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, wow he finally just spit it out and then closed back up. Had no idea they did that. Clownfish tried picking at it after he was done. Weird

Yeah it's definitely weird lol
I never really researched it because it was always fine afterwards.

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanna check on how your little guy is doing. Coincidentally mine decided to open its mouth and start pooping the brown stuff today again. Right now it's all closed up but I'm sure it's all good.

OP
OP
B

BlakeK.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanna check on how your little guy is doing. Coincidentally mine decided to open its mouth and start pooping the brown stuff today again. Right now it's all closed up but I'm sure it's all good.

He seems like he’s doing just fine. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was from over feeding. I read that they will just spit the food up with a “slime coat” if they get too much. Mine wasn’t brown though, it was just a ball of mysis shrimp. Yours might just be digested...?

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He seems like he’s doing just fine. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was from over feeding. I read that they will just spit the food up with a “slime coat” if they get too much. Mine wasn’t brown though, it was just a ball of mysis shrimp. Yours might just be digested...?
Well it's done the brown stuff before. So who knows....

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back