OP
Devisissy

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am a dumb dumb I assumed the hub meant OK I go to the HUGE Hub at the airport and pick them up. Today I learned that they put all these packages on a truck and this one truck drives to all the shipping centers in town and my shipping center is the last one of the day. So no the fish are still on a truck all day no matter what. I also found out today that it costs $$ to pick up from the airport hub.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am a dumb dumb I assumed the hub meant OK I go to the HUGE Hub at the airport and pick them up. Today I learned that they put all these packages on a truck and this one truck drives to all the shipping centers in town and my shipping center is the last one of the day. So no the fish are still on a truck all day no matter what. I also found out today that it costs $$ to pick up from the airport hub.
On the bright side, hopefully, we all learned what not to do...
So, are they dead, did they get to you yet?

OP
OP
Devisissy

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the bright side, hopefully, we all learned what not to do...
So, are they dead, did they get to you yet?
Shipment says delayed now. Keep in mind this is from airport to the shipping center. So from fed ex hub to a little box by a Chipotle that's delayed. I'll hopefully pick them up tomorrow morning. I'm such a fool for not just shipping them to our shop. I'd be acclimating them now instead of eating girl scout cookies.

OP
OP
Devisissy

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae scrubber is working. Seems to be growing byropsis. There isn't really much in the display. There was a hint of it then I used the fluzocole which really did nothing btw, but now seems contained to the mp40's and this algae scrubber.

This thing smells like when Lonnie talked me into playing down by the wash and I slipped when trying to light a Merit Ultra Lite I nicked from my mom's purse and fell into the edge where all the stagnant water was. However it worked for the rest of the night as a Lonnie repellent as that kid could not keep his hands to himself. I heard he had six failed marriages and twice as many kids. Supposedly. He works at the Piggly wiggly on fairstreet that turned into a Safeway because the CVS was taking all the customers.

20240327_180546.jpg

OP
OP
Devisissy

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up to check on the fish shipment. Delayed. If they stayed on a truck overnight like I think they may have they are dead as it was near freezing last night.

If they heed the warnings on the box and bring it in we should be fine.

I am very annoyed that I didn't just have them shipped right to my door. I thought picking up from the hub meant just that. It doesn't. Even the lady with the company seemed surprised. They go to a shipping center from the hub.

I can't catch a break lately. Poor fish.

OP
OP
Devisissy

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be a tough try but I'm going to avoid ordering live fish from companies that use fed ex express. Live aquaria delivered some fish to the wrong address. In winter. They died. I forgot about that. Now this. They were at the shipping center this whole time, guy at desk says we didn't update the system,oops. The fish are very alert so far. They seem to want out very badly. All looks well.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
University drop out old lady here that picked the wrong year to stop drinking. Nobody cares about my stupid tank, but here it is. My build thread. It's like losing weight, if you don't tell people you are trying to lose weight then you have no accountability and you stay fat. Right? Or something like that.

I have had this 90 gallon Custom Aquarium Brands tank and a Trigger sump for years. They were free. However they didn't come with a stand. So for years it just sat there.

At this point most everyone has tuned out. Not enough photos, too much talk. Let me tell you something if you haven't moved on. Custom Aquariums Brand tanks are U G L Y. This thing is sooooo ugly. I hate it. It's the stupidest messing thing you have EVER seen. Their overflow is stupid, the intake is stupid, the frame is stupid, their sumps are stupid. I hate this tank. However, this thing is a freaking ugly butt TANK tank. Like inch thick glass, aluminum frame, 3 inches of globbed on black silicone RTV40 in their stupid ugly thick frame. I hate this tank in equal amounts of the peace of mind I have that I could shoot a Blackhawk with 454 casull at it and probably be OK. If Custom Aquarium Brands read this, they won't, but if they do, your tanks suck and your sumps suck, and could you make your intake a little bigger and uglier? I mean it already looks like toilet waste plumbing I'm sure you could up your game and make it even uglier.
toilet.PNG
toilet2.PNG
I rest my case.

If you willingly bought this tank and it's not in an office building, I would like to know what your drug of choice is and ask you to share it with me.

Why use this tank? Because it was free and knowing what I know now I would have never loaded this 200 pound chunk of silicone and toilet plumbing into my car, then this thread would have never happened, and maybe I would have a life.

First things first I removed the toilet plumbing. Since the man who bought it before me had it plumbed like a literal toilet there is only one bulkhead for a 90 gallon tank. So I am forced to use undersized overflows. Which I don't know what happened in the last 6 years, but there is like 2 companies now? So go with undersized crap that looks good or flushing toilet. So I got the Eshopp Medium. Will it clear the MASSIVE BLACK ALUMINUM 2 INCH WIDE RIM? Probably not, but that's for another post.

So the Trigger Sump is a Ruby. It was abused. Man who had it before had that bad boy straight piped like a Ford trying to run a 6 in a redneck's backyard race track. Imagine Niagara Falls. Now imagine Niagara Falls in your living room. I bet they were hoarse from all the screaming. So he cut out the acrylic. It looked like a small muskrat got caught in a trap and tried to make their way out. Or maybe not a muskrat, maybe just a dude that didn't own a Dremel and only had a chisel and a will. A will to have the world's loudest aquarium. So me being stupid decided, oh all these scratches and defects, I'll just buff them out with all this crap I have lying around the garage. Realizing about 3 hours in I'm closer to death then I have ever been, I gave up. I also decided cordless drills might not be the best for the job at hand. Maybe if Tesla had his way we would never need to charge these things.
20230917_113928.jpg
20230917_113140.jpg
This is what defeat looks like.

I got on the world wide web and surfed on over to Trigger and bought the same sump but the Crystal model. Now, I dunno if it's the red color or what. But there is a MASSIVE difference between a 9 year old Ruby Trigger sump and a brand new Trigger Crystal sump. There are more defects in the acrylic, nothing structural, but just ugly spots throughout. And whatever wax they use is just one giant lube mess. I had to wipe this thing down with a microfiber every time I touched it. It's got cloudiness, scratches, crazing, all sorts of garbage. But it was cheap so there is that, and it came with socks so WOO HOO!

I had this old JBJ 45 that I sort of liked, I do like some things, but learned to hate the AIO. It was always a challenge to do anything. I have man hands OK? This last crash I almost gave up. After tearing it down I found my MP10's magnet has been rusting into the tank. And the ATI test shows that. So maybe that was it who knows. I live in a tiny house so I have to make room which meant getting rid of this old tank. I put it on Facebook market place. I don't know why. Maybe because I like to hurt inside and have lost all self respect. After weeding through all the bullcrud people asking stupid questions I found a normalish person.

The guy who came to get it looked so bewildered. He had NO CLUE what he was picking up. All he knows is his wife wanted a "small" tank. He looked scared. He said, "I wasn't expecting it to be this nice, or big." It was LITERALLY in the ad. Here is what he got. For free. It's like The Ring. You remain cursed until you, oh wait if you haven't seen the movie skip this, /spoiler you have to make a copy of the video and give it to someone else. Same with tanks, I was cursed with Custom Aquariums custom crap tank, so now I have to pass it on. He is what he got.
20231016_185800.jpg
I think he got the better deal.

So now with that gone we took all the furniture out of the room, painted, and today an engineer is putting in a 2,000 dollar beam so this giant messing glass box and aluminum frame don't fall through the floor, and then keep falling through the floor, down through the crawlspace, the ground, past the earths core, right on to the other side of the earth. So essentially I'm not protecting the aquarium, I am protecting my house from the aquarium. So next week new flooring goes in to cover this new massive beam.

I have some fish and some corals from the old tank. I threw the corals in the macro tank and they hate the Tuna Sun, cause it's not Tuna Blue so fingers crossed they don't all die one buy one. Fish and the old rock, snails and urchin live in a Tupperware. They have a window for light, a sponge filter, heater, and a skimmer. And dang it, that's what they get for the next month and a half. And they better like it.

20231015_153837.jpg
It is the best scape I have ever done.

Equipment is two MP40's and one MP10. Yes, I ordered a new wet side. Sheesh. I got the stupid outdated Ecotech live box thingy to control them all too. Two reef breeders 24inch because I already have them so yay. Bubble magnus that came with the 90 gallon and was surprisingly not in crappy shape. My Loop DC return pump. My stand is custom because stupid Custom Aquarium Brands puts the world's largest rim on their tanks with the thickest glass ever it won't fit on a standard 90 gallon stand. It's aluminum just like the frame of the tank. I stood on it to paint. I have no idea how I am going to skin it yet. I can tell you right now it won't be with fabric, you all know who you are. Stop it.

Oh and because I am generic in life without any single unique vision or will, red with gray plumbing. JUST LIKE EVERY ONE ELSE. At this point places should just charge double for those two colors.

Stay tuned for all my failures.
That's why there are dumpsters. Why did you not just start over? The rim will be a huge headache for you. Want to know why I know that?

OP
OP
Devisissy

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why there are dumpsters. Why did you not just start over? The rim will be a huge headache for you. Want to know why I know that?

Huh? Dude we are waaay past that now.

Today I learned yellowtail damsels are a holes.

Also with pumps off so fish can chill I noticed this byropsis is everywhere. So I treat or just not?

20240328_153721.jpg

OP
OP
Devisissy

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry bad habit of mine. Wait till you try clownfish
You remind me of my Aunt Dude who wasn't really my aunt that's just what my dad told me to call her. She had a pack of dogs. Like collies, golden retrievers, some huskies, and a bunch of mixes of the lot. And they would roam around and kill things and stuff. Like Mr. Walsh's prized fighting rooster. The dog catcher would grab some and then you wouldn't see them again but Aunt dude would have five more dogs for each missing one. So it never really got any better.

Well Aunt Dude had the habit of being in a totally different world. She would tell you it's night when it's day and tell you rain was dry. Dad said she was born that way. People in town said she drank some of the Stamer's moonshine which gave her wet brain. Stamer's never denied it but people kept drinking it anyway. The real reason for Aunt Dude's weird behaviors and sudden lack of wits was she only had one channel on her TV.

OK so why is that an issue you ask? Well where her trailer was located she had her antenna pointed straight to east. And with the angle of the Earth and the unusually high amount of lead in the mountains around town it took this signal from some satellite or maybe it came directly from the source, only her TV picked up the feed, and beamed it directly to channel 2. The show was Hyvät herrat. The show was a news cast, but what Aunt Dude didn't know it was all fake. But she took that show to heart quoting it every chance she got. It was like it took everything up to grade 3, the last grade she completed, and scrambled it into this Finnish make believe world. The episodes were on a loop and when the feed would break when the earth spun around, she would breed dogs and pick up her groceries which were double stuff Oreos, DinteMoore, a pack of Camel Lights, and generic Orange soda. She swore that orange soda protected her from rickets and measles. I once cut my knee open and she poured the can right on there. All that did was make grass stick to it and attract bees.

Later on my Uncle who was a little less reserved than my father said that he thought it was a Russian mind control experiment and that our little town was perfect for the test. He thought old man Petro was part of it. He was really just an old Russian immigrant that wanted to grow potatoes like the rest. Uncle also thought it had something to do with this old old tower on Fern Hill that was painted red and had made in Russia on one of the beams.

Sometimes though, I will run into someone just like my Aunt Dude that makes me wonder if Uncle was right about the mind control.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have it a bit wrong about her antenna...
From what I heard, Ol' man Hodgkins was up on her trailer roof, throwing down some tar pitch to patch a leak from some crows pecking. One of those dogs got up there and growled at him somthin fierce. It surprised him so much he lurched back right into her antenna. Broke the thing right off. He didn’t want her to find out because he was afraid she would sic the dogs on him if she did. Plus he was only working for a pint of Stamers anyway...
So, he did the best he could with some zip ties and bailin wire. He wasn't much for directions, Hodgkins could get lost in a 4' x 8' drunk tank, so the antenna ended up pointing east instead of west. Your aunt Du'de went from three channels, well three and a half if you count the subscription one that came in fuzzy unless you had the descrambler, but you could still hear the sound. To the aforementioned one channel playing Hyvät herrat.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You remind me of my Aunt Dude who wasn't really my aunt that's just what my dad told me to call her. She had a pack of dogs. Like collies, golden retrievers, some huskies, and a bunch of mixes of the lot. And they would roam around and kill things and stuff. Like Mr. Walsh's prized fighting rooster. The dog catcher would grab some and then you wouldn't see them again but Aunt dude would have five more dogs for each missing one. So it never really got any better.

Well Aunt Dude had the habit of being in a totally different world. She would tell you it's night when it's day and tell you rain was dry. Dad said she was born that way. People in town said she drank some of the Stamer's moonshine which gave her wet brain. Stamer's never denied it but people kept drinking it anyway. The real reason for Aunt Dude's weird behaviors and sudden lack of wits was she only had one channel on her TV.

OK so why is that an issue you ask? Well where her trailer was located she had her antenna pointed straight to east. And with the angle of the Earth and the unusually high amount of lead in the mountains around town it took this signal from some satellite or maybe it came directly from the source, only her TV picked up the feed, and beamed it directly to channel 2. The show was Hyvät herrat. The show was a news cast, but what Aunt Dude didn't know it was all fake. But she took that show to heart quoting it every chance she got. It was like it took everything up to grade 3, the last grade she completed, and scrambled it into this Finnish make believe world. The episodes were on a loop and when the feed would break when the earth spun around, she would breed dogs and pick up her groceries which were double stuff Oreos, DinteMoore, a pack of Camel Lights, and generic Orange soda. She swore that orange soda protected her from rickets and measles. I once cut my knee open and she poured the can right on there. All that did was make grass stick to it and attract bees.

Later on my Uncle who was a little less reserved than my father said that he thought it was a Russian mind control experiment and that our little town was perfect for the test. He thought old man Petro was part of it. He was really just an old Russian immigrant that wanted to grow potatoes like the rest. Uncle also thought it had something to do with this old old tower on Fern Hill that was painted red and had made in Russia on one of the beams.

Sometimes though, I will run into someone just like my Aunt Dude that makes me wonder if Uncle was right about the mind control.
Are you sure your not from the east coast of Canada? Your the one that said no one would read your post. I was just trying to help. The mind control has been going on for decades it just peaked 4 years ago

OP
OP
Devisissy

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure your not from the east coast of Canada? Your the one that said no one would read your post. I was just trying to help. The mind control has been going on for decades it just peaked 4 years ago

Ahha! I didn't say you couldn't I just said you wouldn't. Not a canook but I live close enough if they all decided to invade, fair weather of course and not during the hockey season, I'd be one of the first to go

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How is this even possible? Its not the earth is FLAT! We all know that to be true. It's gotta be the Russians!

OP
OP
Devisissy

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to treat the tank again for byropsis again. There are no corals so it's just the best to knock it down now. I am going to leave the algae scrubber going doing the process to see if I can kill most of it. How annoying. I really want to add corals and I keep seeing these awesome sticks. Oh well.

The wrasse has been glued to the dispar. The yellow tailed bully has to go through the dispar to get at the wrasse. Kicking myself for not getting a bunch of female dispar too. Might still. Havnt seen the basslett. Yellow tailed bully scared it and it darted in the rocks. Never to be seen again. I need to find a bully for the bully.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to treat the tank again for byropsis again. There are no corals so it's just the best to knock it down now. I am going to leave the algae scrubber going doing the process to see if I can kill most of it. How annoying. I really want to add corals and I keep seeing these awesome sticks. Oh well.

The wrasse has been glued to the dispar. The yellow tailed bully has to go through the dispar to get at the wrasse. Kicking myself for not getting a bunch of female dispar too. Might still. Havnt seen the basslett. Yellow tailed bully scared it and it darted in the rocks. Never to be seen again. I need to find a bully for the bully.
Seriously. I had a tank infested with green algae. A customer of mine in my past life ( nothing to do with aquariums ) had the same problem. Luckily I did not have coral either. I just removed the rocks like he suggested, and scrubbed them with a brass brush. That was 15 years ago at least

OP
OP
Devisissy

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously. I had a tank infested with green algae. A customer of mine in my past life ( nothing to do with aquariums ) had the same problem. Luckily I did not have coral either. I just removed the rocks like he suggested, and scrubbed them with a brass brush. That was 15 years ago at least
Removing the rocks is not going to happen. I mean I guess I could. It would mean starting over. Again, when I just started over. I do have a damsel to catch though.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removing the rocks is not going to happen. I mean I guess I could. It would mean starting over. Again, when I just started over. I do have a damsel to catch though.
OK I made that mistake with my new tank. The rocks weren't attached together. I will never epoxy or connect the rock again

OP
OP
Devisissy

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I made that mistake with my new tank. The rocks weren't attached together. I will never epoxy or connect the rock again
That limits you greatly on the type of rockscape you can enjoy and I feel might be a tad bit of an over reaction for what rarely becomes and issue. Or not so rarely if you are me. The byropsis will always be there I bet. I'll just have to prevent it taking over. We are moving in a year or 2 so I really just need to keep it under control. I'm hoping this new place will have a room that I can set up as a sump room. That is for another tank build thread.

The damsel is going to go live in the sump. I'm going to two net his bully yellow butt. Failing that, I might just trap him with a mirror and an old empty jar of moonshine.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back