OP
Devisissy

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, right now you technically just need water changes. But if you go to AFR when you start getting corals, If you buy the 1600g, which would be over a year supply. That would be about than $6 a month. AFR is like balling but better... it's Balling with table service... < Baller Joke....
I did the math, I would have to use almost twice as much AFR to get the same as Balling. There is a whole thread about people switching over here I think. We will see. In a year it might be another story.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the math, I would have to use almost twice as much AFR to get the same as Balling. There is a whole thread about people switching over here I think. We will see. In a year it might be another story.
:thinking-face: Is that the new math or old….
But we can discuss it at the corn shuckin’ contest coming up or in DM’s

OP
OP
Devisissy

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just to be clear so I can understand it. You are going to do the balling method TM parts A,B,C, plus A and K trace elements for a 90G tank.
Yes. And I factored a medium to high stock of mostly SPS. Which came out to roughly $7 a month. AF came out to roughly $15 a month. Moonshiners had the highest buy in going off my first ICP at $450 initial, then yearly about $96 to 105. Which is about eight bucks a month but much much more work. So I decided to do balling.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. And I factored a medium to high stock of mostly SPS.
Ok, I was basing it on your first 12-18 months you would have low nutrient/trace usage because they are frags not colonies. So water changes and AFR would be sufficient and easier until your reef gets kicked into high gear. After the initial period and your corals start to thrive it all bets are off and you are going to need to do whatever the babies need.
That’s all, my mistake.

OP
OP
Devisissy

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I was basing it on your first 12-18 months you would have low nutrient/trace usage because they are frags not colonies. So water changes and AFR would be sufficient and easier until your reef gets kicked into high gear. After the initial period and your corals start to thrive it all bets are off and you are going to need to do whatever the babies need.
That’s all, my mistake.
Yes of course. Balling needs to be sort of locked in. It's not up and running currently. I just got the reef rx today, another round of that. My tank uses less than .05% of alk and ca currently and that's under test deviation! LOL maybe I should go fish only. So easy!

OP
OP
Devisissy

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Behold the magnificent hairy urchin.

20240405_174519.jpg

OP
OP
Devisissy

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long ago did you get them?
Hiding?
Scrimps came with fish. Write everything down but when I get fish. So a few weeks? Edited to add march 28th.

No evidence. Scrimp were abducted by UFO.

My dad and his buddy said they saw a UFO once. Mom says they ate some of those colorful mushrooms that grew by the fence post. But I dunno. Maybe they are out there. Watching us like we watch the fish in our tanks. ️️

OP
OP
Devisissy

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So bummed about shrimp. Wondering if they are in overflow.

Day four of the second treatment for byropsis. This time it appears to actually working. I am using reef rx this time. I have the start of cyano, spell check tried to spell gyno...oh lawrd, and the byropsis is turning white in the places it was thinnest. Algae scrubber is running but no new growth of byropsis on it. Urchin, still hairy.

20240411_174224.jpg

20240411_174546.jpg

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the aliens bring the shrimp back?
I bet you Darcy stole em in an attempt to make a "Fancy" shrimp farm in his back 40...
When Darcy refers to his back forty, he means the forty feet behind his mobile home. which is only there because Leroy's home got swept up in the twister two springs ago. When someone asked Leroy if he had insurance. Leroy replied "No need, she's out there somewhere. I just need to find her and tow her back..." Looking up at the sky he muttered "Not the first time she left me and I am sure it's not the last..."
The person who asked Leroy the question said. "Are you talking about your trailer or your wife?"
"Both I reckon... Both"
With that Leroy got into his pick up and drove off. So now Darcy feels the space where Leroys trailer was is free and clear to do with what he wants.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 58 73.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back