WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked up new maxima clam today.
IMG_1968.jpeg

And he’s a bit hard to see in the pic but the jerk lawnmower blenny keeps pecking at my new clam and knocking it out of the little divot I’ve placed it in. My first clam is in a little less precarious of a position so I never had this issue before. Anyone got an approximate time for attaching?

ArachnoJoozt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont think it wants to set its foot somewhere it’s getting nipped at lol. might settle once the blenny finishes off the algae on it assuming thats what it’s getting at and not the actual mantel
Indeed being picked on will not help the clam to attach itself. Also the place you have picked might not be the place the clam picks to attach itself.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would move it to the very top of your rock work, as I don't think you have enough light in it's current position to support it. Also, your corals don't seem happy overall. Sorry to be crude, just observation of what I see in the pic.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WhitePanther93

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would move it to the very top of your rock work, as I don't think you have enough light in it's current position to support it. Also, your corals don't seem happy overall. Sorry to be crude, just observation of what I see in the pic.
The lights were ramping down at the time

OP
OP
WhitePanther93

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont think it wants to set its foot somewhere it’s getting nipped at lol. might settle once the blenny finishes off the algae on it assuming thats what it’s getting at and not the actual mantel
So I noticed today that my blenny isn’t pecking at my new clam. He’s actively pushing the clam off the rock.

ArachnoJoozt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I noticed today that my blenny isn’t pecking at my new clam. He’s actively pushing the clam off the rock.
Get that thing off my algae garden!

If your light is up to par (pun intended) you could try to let it attach to a small rock or a clam hammock on the bottom of the aquarium. When attached you can move the clam to the top of the rock work together with the stone/hammock, which you could even glue to your scape (stone to stone, not gluing the clam ofc).
That said if your blenny remains territorial the chances of the clam surviving are even smaller than they already are.

You said the lights were ramping down, but I do agree with @minus9 that the corals don't seem to be thriving (what's happening with the Monti on top?). Can you be more specific on the lights and the system?
It's easy to think there is enough light, I thought I was giving my clam enough light at the top of the rock work with a Radion xr15pro @ 80% intensity, but after measuring par (using parwise meter) the clam only got around 160 par, and have since upgraded my light.

OP
OP
WhitePanther93

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get that thing off my algae garden!

If your light is up to par (pun intended) you could try to let it attach to a small rock or a clam hammock on the bottom of the aquarium. When attached you can move the clam to the top of the rock work together with the stone/hammock, which you could even glue to your scape (stone to stone, not gluing the clam ofc).
That said if your blenny remains territorial the chances of the clam surviving are even smaller than they already are.

You said the lights were ramping down, but I do agree with @minus9 that the corals don't seem to be thriving (what's happening with the Monti on top?). Can you be more specific on the lights and the system?
It's easy to think there is enough light, I thought I was giving my clam enough light at the top of the rock work with a Radion xr15pro @ 80% intensity, but after measuring par (using parwise meter) the clam only got around 160 par, and have since upgraded my light.
To be honest, I’m not sure what’s up with the monti. It’s a new piece and ever since I got it, it’s only shown a bit of polyp extension. I honestly need to reevaluate that particular corner of my tank as my acans haven’t been doing as well as they use to.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To be honest, I’m not sure what’s up with the monti. It’s a new piece and ever since I got it, it’s only shown a bit of polyp extension. I honestly need to reevaluate that particular corner of my tank as my acans haven’t been doing as well as they use to.
A little history with your tank and parameters and we might be able to help. The corals in the pic look to be starving or are getting too much light (or both). How many fish and how often do you feed them?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe thats a perching place for the blenny? I might try moving the clam, the blenny seems to really not like it there!

OP
OP
WhitePanther93

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I whipped out the old par meter today after work. Even a peak the spot where I was placing the clam originally was much to low on par. (50s~60s) the new guy is now closer to where his older crocea brother is, towards the top of the tank.

IMG_1971.jpeg

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you don’t see new growth within a week or so, then you don’t have enough light. Clams this small usually have a pretty good amount of growth at the upper margins of the shell.
72081722070__B4475E0F-C398-48C7-933E-D43874966827.jpeg

Here’s an example of what to look for. Sorry for the crappy pic, but you get the idea.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back