Clam ID and care advice

LeonardTheWrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I'm looking at purchasing a derasa clam, and these are the options from the store I would be getting it from.
They don't have proper ID/scientific names on their website for the clams, and I just want to be clear on what species they are.

I've done a lot of research on care for them, however I would appreciate any advice that you have to offer, as I don't want to mess up caring for one.

1714389689513.png

Thanks

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look like maxima but I'm far from an expert. I agree with @Dburr1014 300+ par is needed. I know some people say they keep them in lower light but I couldn't keep a clam alive until I bought a par meter and found out I was starving them. They only need light but a lot of it. Mine do well in a tank with nitrates at 27 and phos 0.36 so apparently they don't mind dirty water.

OP
OP
LeonardTheWrasse

LeonardTheWrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lights aren't super strong, haven't tested PAR.
Planning on upgrading my lights, but I'm not sure what to go with, there are so many options.

These are the 3 lights that I'm currently thinking about.
A combination of the AI Blade coral glow and grow lights
Radion XR 30
Hydra AI 32

If one of these lights seems like an obvious best choice please let me know, or if there are any other lights that you would choose over these.

OP
OP
LeonardTheWrasse

LeonardTheWrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also wondering whether it is risky to order a clam online?
There aren't any stores near me with healthy clams available, and the store that I'm looking at online has really good pricing.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also wondering whether it is risky to order a clam online?
There aren't any stores near me with healthy clams available, and the store that I'm looking at online has really good pricing.
Those Maxima's look ok in the picture but they look really small and are likely very fragile. You need good light and Alk/Ca parameters stability ready to go before you try keeping one of these delicate critters. They quickly become fish/worm food if everything isn't perfect for them. I would rather pay more in a store where I can see how they look today then purchasing on line from a picture that was taken who knows when.

Good vendors on line are ok to buy from but putting a delicate clam through transport services is somewhat risky.

OP
OP
LeonardTheWrasse

LeonardTheWrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those Maxima's look ok in the picture but they look really small and are likely very fragile. You need good light and Alk/Ca parameters stability ready to go before you try keeping one of these delicate critters. They quickly become fish/worm food if everything isn't perfect for them. I would rather pay more in a store where I can see how they look today then purchasing on line from a picture that was taken who knows when.

Good vendors on line are ok to buy from but putting a delicate clam through transport services is somewhat risky.
That's solid advice, thanks.
The price difference is about $300-$400 more at any of my local stores, which is why I'm thinking about purchasing online.

I've been testing out my parameters with some lps and sps to see how to replenish and keep it all stable.
I do need to upgrade/replace my lights, but I don't know which one to get. Lights are expensive, so I would rather not have to purchase multiple after not choosing right this time.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's solid advice, thanks.
The price difference is about $300-$400 more at any of my local stores, which is why I'm thinking about purchasing online.

I've been testing out my parameters with some lps and sps to see how to replenish and keep it all stable.
I do need to upgrade/replace my lights, but I don't know which one to get. Lights are expensive, so I would rather not have to purchase multiple after not choosing right this time.
What size is your tank?
If your looking at an extremely reputable website that deals with clams, your probably fine. They should have all your instructions in the box.

AI blade
Radion
Hydra
IDK, all very pricy. I can see why you are hesitating.

I have a Reefbreeders light and it will grow everything, it's bright and throws par. My clam fine under this light.

I have also have eyes on the Noopsyches K7 V3. Also par is fantastic and it seems 90% of reviews are great. $156 per light on there website and will do 24"x24" footprint. You really can't beat that.

OP
OP
LeonardTheWrasse

LeonardTheWrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is your tank?
If your looking at an extremely reputable website that deals with clams, your probably fine. They should have all your instructions in the box.

AI blade
Radion
Hydra
IDK, all very pricy. I can see why you are hesitating.

I have a Reefbreeders light and it will grow everything, it's bright and throws par. My clam fine under this light.

I have also have eyes on the Noopsyches K7 V3. Also par is fantastic and it seems 90% of reviews are great. $156 per light on there website and will do 24"x24" footprint. You really can't beat that.
I was looking into those lights, but I can't find any retailers in Australia that carry them, and multiple LFSs said that they were unable to order them in.
I really wanted a light from Noopsyche, but they're super hard to find as affordably, if at all here.

I would most likely get a light second hand which does take some cost off, but I wish I could get these lights at that price, such good value for money.

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my maxima clam for about 10 months now. I'd say treat it the same as you would most SPS but with slightly less flow. If your water parameters are good enough for SPS to thrive and your lighting is also getting the job done for SPS to do well then a clam will be fine. My maxima is on the rocks near the top of the tank and gets around 300 PAR. I use my PAR meter to ensure the lighting was adequate for it's needs prior to placement.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 40 27.8%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 30 20.8%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 34 23.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 37 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back