Hello My Name is Deven, new to the hobby and would love advice

DevenB84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, My name is Deven and I am currently working on starting a 55 gallon reef tank. I'm glad to finally be getting in to this part of the fish keeping hobby, but it is incredibly intimidating. I would love any advice you guys can give me on keeping this kind of tank started and how to keep it running.

Here are the specs on my tank
75 gallon aquarium
1 Sicce voyager 3
20 gallon sump with refugium
protein skimmer
basic heater

I don't have water perimeters yet

kichimark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R Deven. What are you going to use for flow in the tank as in powerbeads? Lots of corals love flow and each type requires a different rate. Some of the best advice that I have ever been given and that I have learned as well is to have patience. Also, don't have your hands always in the tank. Sometimes we can overdo it by moving things around too much and not let things settle.

OP
OP
DevenB84

DevenB84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R Deven. What are you going to use for flow in the tank as in powerbeads? Lots of corals love flow and each type requires a different rate. Some of the best advice that I have ever been given and that I have learned as well is to have patience. Also, don't have your hands always in the tank. Sometimes we can overdo it by moving things around too much and not let things settle.
right now i just have one 1200 gph powerhead for flow

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! And you have come to the right place if you are looking for advice, tips, and trick. And also for kicks and giggles.

The best advice you can get from any of us if you are just getting started with setting up and cycling the tank, or heck even after you finish cylcing for that matter, is to take it slow and be patient.

Don't just go jumping from one thing to the next back to back or adding in 50 fish all in one go the very next day after you setup the tank. Be slow and methodical. Add fish one or two, maybe three at a time a few weeks apart to allow the system time to adjust to the increase in bioload. This also applies to clean up crew and other invertabrates, as well as coral, but is more important with respects to fish as they are larger and/or procduce more waste.

But like others have mentioned, we are here to help with any questions you may have along the way. So hit us up any time. Maybe start a build thread as a way to collect all advice and tips into one spot. That is what I plan to do for my newest setup....tomorrow morning. Time now for sleep. And once again...
giphy.gif

SeanJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

If getting a basic heater, have you considered getting two? That way if (when) main one fails, the other will kick in. Make sure to calibrate them and have a temperature display.

For example, you can set one at 78, and another at 76. If your temp display shows 76, then you know the 78 heater has stopped working ;)

Johnd651

Getting back in after 10+ years
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome

What type of light are you planning?

Here's a good resource as well.

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, My name is Deven and I am currently working on starting a 55 gallon reef tank. I'm glad to finally be getting in to this part of the fish keeping hobby, but it is incredibly intimidating. I would love any advice you guys can give me on keeping this kind of tank started and how to keep it running.

Here are the specs on my tank
75 gallon aquarium
1 Sicce voyager 3
20 gallon sump with refugium
protein skimmer
basic heater

I don't have water perimeters yet
Welcome to R2R. No need to be intimidated. Just add some powerheads and lights and you have the standard basic system, which is all you need. Don't worry about all the other stuff for now. Take it slow and read read read. If you run into anything you don't understand don't hesitate to ask for advice. Just be aware that people have different ways of doing things. That makes for lots of differing opinions lol.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back