How old are your in use led's?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to start any debates on useful age of led lighting.
Just curious on your brand and age of your lighting that is still in continuous use.

I own a reef breeders v2 48" and found my receipt that says 04/15/2016. 8 years, continuous use. I made it a pro a few years back.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Have you ever had a spectrometer and/or a par meter on it? Does it keep up with the spectrum and the par it used to? How's y our coral coloration and growth?

OP
OP
Dburr1014

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever had a spectrometer and/or a par meter on it? Does it keep up with the spectrum and the par it used to? How's y our coral coloration and growth?
Yes, I own the parwise.
Of coarse the parwise was not around when I first bought the RB.
Coral growth is good.
I don't remember how far underwater this was but you can see the spectrum is good.

Screenshot_20240303_143545_Chrome.jpg

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Radion Gen3s I had over my 75G “holding tank” I just took down (and finally setup the 210 display) were in use in this house for 4.5 years and at the old house for about another 3
So those ones are roughly 7.5 years going strong.
I also have 2 older Gen2Pros that still run but 1 of the drivers broke. The actual boards still run no issues though. (I was recently checking them to try and sell them)
Those ones havnt been in actual use though for at least 5 years.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes, I own the parwise.
Of coarse the parwise was not around when I first bought the RB.
Coral growth is good.
I don't remember how far underwater this was but you can see the spectrum is good.

Screenshot_20240303_143545_Chrome.jpg

Oh yes, I forgot you had the PARWise. That measurement you took was an out of the water measurement. That little green dot on the left under the whatever it is, lol, is for measuring the light on a dry surface. When it turns Blue by clicking on it, you can take it underwater. You might know that, but the photo you posted was an out of water measurement and maybe you took it out of water, haha.

At any rate, looks good to me, I would keep using them.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2012 G2 Radion XR30...bought used from a LFS about 6 yrs ago...has a couple led's out...

OP
OP
Dburr1014

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes, I forgot you had the PARWise. That measurement you took was an out of the water measurement. That little green dot on the left under the whatever it is, lol, is for measuring the light on a dry surface. When it turns Blue by clicking on it, you can take it underwater. You might know that, but the photo you posted was an out of water measurement and maybe you took it out of water, haha.

At any rate, looks good to me, I would keep using them.
Oh shoot, your right.
I sometimes forget about little button. This is better

Screenshot_20240303_151628_Chrome.jpg

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I bought my CoralCare gen 2 fixtures when the first came out in 2020. ( I think)
Still happy with them. I did have to replace the controller ( actually Coralvue did) after a year, but the new one is going strong.
I like that I can change the light settings on my computer at the far end of my house and have the wireless controller change the program. Or use my phones bluetooth to do changes.
I did not log the intensity settings when I first got them so I can't tell how much they may have changed, but the tanks running fine.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hydra 52 hds only lasted a couple years before the lens started to burn. A couple years later the LEDs started to fail. I had a prime 16 hd that only lasted 2 years before the LEDs started going out. I loved those lights when they worked but the over drive capability blows them out fast. I now have radion gen 6’s and haven’t had any issues

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had 2x red sea ReefLED 90s for about 4 years. ran them at 90% intensity and sold on perfectly functional.. i didnt notice or measure performance degradation..

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The real judgement for how long the lights are expected to last - is by measuring heatsink temperature. Radion XR lights that put out 240w with a single tightly packed fan - versus my diy 300w light fixture with 5 fans and plenty of space for air circulation - guess which one will be degraded after a few years of use..

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swapped my DIY emitter boards at about the 5 year mark - everything was still functioning, but I didn't account for more driver power budget to increase the output to compensate for dropoff.

Its only about 5% but cheap enough to be worth while.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back