JoeKooL KoolReef 210 remodeling into 428 display Custom DIY sump net BOOM!

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There water .0265 mine is .025 using auto adjusting temp refracto
image.jpg

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a few sticks not glued to a plug just in the bag. I'm going to get some coral glue and some plugs to fix that.
Stay tuned for more

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build and I am especially interested in the DIY skimmer. Very creative. Can you provide a list of parts for the skimmer.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
zemuss I can help you out. Where in Florida are you. If your close you can come over and I will help you build one. That may be the easiest I do have extra parts to build a few of different sizes.

Also I can direct you to the site with all the info you need with plans as well for different sizes.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just waiting going to check the calibration on my refract while I wait. I got ten more min. than going to check if water matches up. oh ya.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might find this funny but my with said what are looking at on your Ipad you've been on there for a while. I told her Reef ****. LOL

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay I put in the ones that looked clean like SPS. I saw some little critters on the zoa's so I took most of the wter out of the bucket and put back on drip. Going to store to get coral rx dip. They looked like little fleas scurying about maybe copepods. don't know.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got back and than Coral RX all the frags except the SPS sticks. All are in and starting to open up.
I have a video of them and the whole reef.[video=youtube;lFuKNVe9VP8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFuKNVe9VP8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Ft Lauderdale. I would love to create my own skimmer for my next build and/or modify the skimmer i have to make it more efficent. I have a bubble magus 3.5 and I am so tired of it freaking out everytime I feed and filling the collection cup.

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting links because from what I have read the reaction chamber should be 5 feet tall. This is for a 60 gallon so I wonder if a three foot chamber would work. Is yours a recirculating skimmer? I might ask my LFS if he would sell me some old skimmer parts for use on this build.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zemuss You don't have to build it 5' We could do a dual skimmer with two chambers the trick is to get the reaction time the longer the better. Some DOC's can take up to 2 min to attach to the bubble. I make some nasty skimmate. I have one that is 4' and is made with 4'' pipe I'm sure the math works on it for your tank. Mine does not recirculate because it has such a long contact time. Contact time is why some of these skimmers have so many pumps recirculating the water. This skimmer is counter current. the water goes down and the bubbles go up. Now one could make this do both and probably make some nasty foam. I think thats what Im going to do with my huge one. I'm tired of hearing the air pump run. I tired of hearing the whole thing. Wish I had a room behind my tank then you would only see the tank and here no noise. When I build my house I will do that. You can come over if you don't mind a couple hour drive. I say we can build a short fat nasty for your tank. 6'' body by 3' with two recurc pumps. We will have to add a skim-mate collection too. LOL I guess we hi-jacked my thread for skimmer discussion.

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds cool actually. How much would this cost? What GPH pumps would I need? I can get the jebao dc-3000 for 60 bucks each.

We can start another thread for this too. I am sure others would like to know. If this saves me from having to purchase a 300 dollar skimmer great!

Last edited:
OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't save much money until you get into the big tank sizes where the cost of skimmers that size is rediculas. But we could build you a great one. The PVC parts aren't to much money but you need say two fractionating pumps at least 250GPH and a pump or feed for water from your sump. could do it for $200 maybe but factor in time too and or travel for parts and shipping etc. I like to DIY but some times the effort doesn't outway the cost. If you have a 200 plus gallon tank that's were you can save some money.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back