JoeKooL KoolReef 210 remodeling into 428 display Custom DIY sump net BOOM!

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T.J. I took this to my tank page..

Hey, I think that the Evo pumps are great and have and will continue to use them. In all the years and many many ways I have set flow patterns a slow rolling 'Gyre' is by far best IME, so I currently have a counter-clockwise front rolling one setup:
Back-mid height-left = Evo 1400 pointing slightly up and at front center of glass, Top-near front-left = WP-40 pointing slightly down pushing water across front of tank, Near top-right-back (inside of right overflow box) = Evo 1400 level but pointing slightly away from back wall, Near bottom-back- right = Evo 1400 pointing slightly up along back. I have 1000+gph in return flow Y'd out from top back on a SeaSwirl to help barrel roll toward the front as well. What this does is basically eliminate any dead spots and pushes almost all detritus out my right overflow. It would have probably been easier to explain over phone but hopefully you can interpret my lonnnnng worded description.

Cheers, Todd

Originally Posted by joekool
Was thinking of the jebao pumps but someone gave me a $50 gift card to marine depot so tring to do that. maybe I should just wait and get the jebao pumps and use the gift card for something else.
I have two maxijet pumps that are terible one takes for ever to go the right way. it just goes the wrong way at startup and I hate it.

Originally Posted by TJ's Reef
Originally Posted by joekool
Hello Todd,

Do you think two korilla hydor evolution 1500gph pumps work good on my 210 display.

I ran (4) Evo 1400's on my 125g which was plenty until Corals grew out. I now have a WP-40 with (3) 1400's and plan on replacing one or two of Evos with the remaining WP-40. I think you will be good for a while but would plan on two more 1500's or a higher output pump like Tunze or Jebao added. My good friend Duane (trido) has two WP-40's along with two Tunze on his 210g

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds great TJ. I understand totally what your talking about.

So this is what I have and what I'm going to do.
I have two mega overflows rated at 600gph drain but will do more. They start about 8'' from each back corner. They also pull water from the bottom, middle and surface of tank. Each overflow has a dual nozzle return into the tank about ten inches long. I can move them were ever I need them to be.

I have some clockwise motion now and I will adjust the flow from the nozzles and place one of the new pumps down side right and point to front and side top left. The next pump top front left side pointing to the back side of other pump.

If the motion is not moving enough I will convert the maxi-jets to there more reliable setup which pumps less but are quit and work when you plug them in. anyways I will put them in the middle of the back. The lower gph pump will be near the back bottom of the tank and the higher gph will go middle of back.

Now that should churn up some detrus in the tank.

Whoo out of typing breath!

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kool! I think you've got it Joe. I should probably spend some time on Sketch-Up to better diagram my flow patterns so people don't need 5 Hour Energy drink to stay awake long enough to get the verbal picture...........lol
On my pm about friend Duane's (trido) 210g he has his PH's set on a alternating Gyre clockwise then counter clockwise which is working very well for his Reef.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that sounds good too. sounds like a job for an APEX. Alternating would be cool. Does it go back and forth like a wave setup or does it go one way for awhile than the other way for awhile.

Sounds good though

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TJ I was talking about Duane's tank how does it flow read above. Thanks

I did order those two pumps by the way. waiting to buy my LEDs oh ya! should be next week.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank update SPS growing polyps like crazy. One stick i thought had a bunch of something like eggs on it but the were a bunch of polyps starting.
red planets growing great too
New z's and p's holding.

Starting Vitamin C dosing as soon as my powder gets here. Found a thread on r2r and pufferpunk was very helpful with the info.
Not a great photo sorry.
image.jpg

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank stats:
Mg 1570 Wow! didn't mean to get that high. guess I wont add any for awhile.
Ca 445
KH/Alk KH in 11.2dKH / alk in 3.9meg/L I need to go to 4.25 meg/L to balance Ca and Alk

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium (ppm)

Alkalinity (meq/L)

-------------------

-------------------

2.5 (seawater)

-------------------

-------------------

12 (possible CaCO3/CO2 Reactor Effluent)

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank update yeah!

Well just started Vitamin C dosing. excited to see how it goes.

I have some Zoa issues ******* me off lost a couple and almost lost my faves put they are opening up. Great sign for me.

I counted more than 20 new polyps on my LPS frogspawn. SPS still growing after 5 weeks I say they are good to go in my system.
I plan on buying some new test kits for iodide etc for colors of SPS etc.

Still waiting on purchase of reef spectrum P47 purchase. But going to go ahead and get my APEX setup. Believe it or not my bad but I don't know exactly what my PH is or ever have. I only have used test strips so not totally guessing.

Check out my buddy it is so big.
image.jpg

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Like the prices from MarineDepot and free shipping but free ground shipping from CA to FL absolutely sucks. I would use another form of shipping but there rates other than free are ridicules. Even BRS doesn't charge that much. With fedex and usps doing flat rate shipments paying such prices is silly.
I think I will have to search elsewhere for ordering products from them. Don't get me wrong I do like the product prices but should you pay $60 for 3 day shipping on a $150 order. I sent gifts out days before Christmas with flat rate for $13 and got there before christmas. They must be making money on shipping kind of like processing and handling when you order infomercial stuff on TV.

errrrr.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I think my order from MarineDepot might actually show up today. MAybe I can install my new circ pumps yay!!
Also 39F today in FL with a high of 50F Burr for a Florida boy

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MarineDepot order got here and they gave me the wrong size pumps. I ordered two 1500gph and I got 1150gph. I could use them but would like the 1500gph
I called and they seemed helpfull so far. He said he had to call the warehouse and call me back. I said that I don't want to wait a week to get another set. He said he would expodite the order but I wonder what that means. I will accept overnight but I don't think I want to wait days for there screw up.

Should I just use the two 1150gph circulation pumps and ask for the difference back?

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel they took care of me well. Got 2 day air shipping and store credit as well because they are cheaper now on there site. Woo hoo!

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So happy Finally ordered my Neptune APEX controller with Lab grade Ph probe. wooohooooo baby!
Next purchase by end of month are LED lights.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also ordered a Eshops magnetic probe holder. You would think that sense the APEX was so well thought out and it's modules that they would of all things with a $524 setup include a probe holder. Going to read the manual for the APEX before it comes to get a grasp on it.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a check to see who follows this tread. I don't want to spend time posting to tis thread if no one reads it.

Please let me know if you are following. I hope that someone get some ideas or help by reading it but if no one reads it there is no point in doing it.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 65 46.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 47 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back