JoeKooL KoolReef 210 remodeling into 428 display Custom DIY sump net BOOM!

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
overhauling my Skimmer. Time to change the wood air stones.
image.jpg
will add more phots.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I continue my SkimMonster skimmer cleaning and installation of new air stones.
New wood air stones. By the way the Tropic marin ones I bought suck the glued hose nipples keep popping off. I got 5 out of 20 I have to reglue
image.jpg

This is my skim-mate collector and SL-65 Luft pump with fan running to keep things cool.
image.jpg

Skim-mate collected after a few weeks. 5 gallon jug. Can you guess how great it smells when you dump it in the toilet. Barf.....
image.jpg

Back together and filling up. Here we go.
image.jpg

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WHy do you use the air stones? WHy not just add a venturi to the pumps which inject the water to the skimmer? Do they have to be seperate with a counter current skimmer?

That is some sick skimmate.. ANd you are right that would smell horrid!

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yo Zemuss

Well I could make it into a recirculating skimmer and install a fractionating pump down at the bottom. I'm tired of changing the air-stones it is a process just to get to them. I have to empty the whole skimmer, unhook the hoses and air pump. It would be so much easier to put a pump or two at the bottom.

I can't add it to the pump putting water into it as it enters the top and defeats the purpose of having such a long contact time. That feed pump has a valved feed on the line going back to the tank as well and goes to a brs dual reactor. So no bubbles in that line.

When you have large tanks you could totally build a skimmer for a lot cheaper. A couple hundred (mostly on pumps) is a lot cheaper than $800+ for a fancy name brand. I don't see it being cost effective on a small tank but could save some money.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank update.

Bought some BRS reef chili. I spot fed my corals and they went nuts. My acans doubled in size while feeding. Brains had sweepers out. Mushrooms reacted. Blastos puffed up. Z's and P's liked it too. Acro's and red planets feed up. basically everything reacted. After spot feeding I ran just the recurc pumps foe a half hour with the sump off so that they could feed up.

Not food related but I have noticed that in a week even after having my new SPS frags down low they seem to be growing. Going to start moving my Acro's up Saturday. Wish I had some of those magnetic frag holding shelves. Trying to find good stable placements for the frag plugs is starting to aggravate me.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank still doing great. I have had great luck with all My frags but one zoa frag:cry: but the others are really doing well. Some have even grown in a little over a week. SPS are growing one is full out crazy doubled in size it has full polyp extension. I will add some photos later.

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet.. Picture update is needed.

I have a frag shelf and start all my frags on that shelf before finding places on rock work. It works and recommend it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I lost a few polyps of zoa's. Everything else is doing great. my sps are good and growing. the red planet has grown at least 3/8'' wider.
I don't know what caused some of the polyps to go but my hermits keep cleaning them so maybe they hurt some. Also I'm a few days past when I do my water change it's usually every Monday or tuesday. I need to check my levels on everything. I guess I just have been busy. Im making new water and will check everything after that.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very cool thread. I love diy stuff, so I enjoyed the skimmer a lot. Can we get an FTS?

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I Think I have decided to go LED for what it is going to cost me to re do my whole MH and actinic setup. I can spend a little more and get some really cool controllability of the lighting such as sunrise and sunset across the tank simulate actual lunar cycle and etc.

This is the setup I'm buying
ReefLEDLights Reefspectrum Light

18 1/4 X 9 1/2 X 3 3/4
Fully dimmable with the Max Intensity (PAR) a 400 watt MH equivalent.
LEDs are specifically binned for optimal looks and performance.
Driven by three High Efficiency Dimmable Drivers.
Fans are super quiet rated for 50,000 hours.
Optics are Carclo for optimal penetration and performance.
Fully controllable via Neptune APEX
10-20K depending on intensity setting
Perfect for SPS and Clams
No Kidding direct replacement for a 400 watt MH. Measured Uncorrected PAR @ 24″ over 500 with Carclo Ripple Wide Optics.
Power consumption 118 Watts with twice the PAR of generic 120 watt Chinese Fixtures and 40% more efficient than Hybrid ones.
Each Fixture covers Appx 30″ x 24″ with enough PAR for Clams on the sand bed.
Perfect for your 72″ to 96″ Long Reef Aquarium
Includes:
Binned LEDs
24 Premium XT-E Royal Blue
6 XP-E Blue
15 Premium XT-E Cool White
2 XP-E Blue Moon Light
Neptune APEX
Grip Lock Hanging Kit
Choice of Optics
-Carclo Ripple Wide optimized for heights 12-18″ above the water
-Carclo Wide Angle Reflector optimized for heights less than 12″ above the water
3 year warranty Parts and Labor
Proudly MANUFACTURED IN USA

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not so sure about the 400watt equal but it will much better than my 150watt MH with tiny reflectors (current usa outer orbit).

I plan on ordering in the next week or two and will post lots of photos. I will be also installing an APEX controller setup and will include lots of pics and inof of how I'm setting it up.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Joe, good decision and won't regret it..... especially around the time of year you annually changed out lamps. Those fixtures are definitely a equal or better replacement for 400w MH's on a PAR reading and a bit more even on PUR as there is virtually no garbage light with LED's. Anyhow looking forward to seeing this beast all lit up.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
buying two hydor korilla evolution 1500gph pumps with my marine depot gift cards. You guys think this is a good size pumps for my tank. plan on buying the wave controller next week to use with them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back