JoeKooL KoolReef 210 remodeling into 428 display Custom DIY sump net BOOM!

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^ That's a good question. Joe what do you think.

I added dual di canisters hoping my DI would last longer but oddly it seemed to be the same. So I wonder the same thing as gettaReef does.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well seems that my now two bta's are doing well. Both are under lighting and not hiding.

On a bad not my lta floated up into a powerhead and I had to get it out. So for it looks like it will make it. No bad foot damage but some tissue damage on the edge of the rim. It is a large lta so it probably will fair well. Sure you have seen it in many of my pictures.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^ That's a good question. Joe what do you think.

I added dual di canisters hoping my DI would last longer but oddly it seemed to be the same. So I wonder the same thing as gettaReef does.

Okay so Jackie and gettareef

Di resign will make zero water as long as it still has capacity to pull out ds out of water. So the most important part of the ro setup is the membrane the are very dependent on psi. Most dowtec or other membranes handle 150psi and are rated at a 96 to 98% rejection rate at 60 psi. So a little math for you..... If you are only getting 60 psi at the membrane then say you tds in is 100 with a rejection rate of 98 % that leaves you 2 tds output from membrane. If your water pressure is much lower than at least 60 your rejection rate is horrible. At this point you will really burn through di resign. I highly suggest a booster pump. I also suggest you run your psi as high as you can not exceeding your membranes max psi.

All in all your resign will last much longer with a booster pump.
after all my research I ended up buying a booster pump kit from aquafx.com best price and quality product too. Comes with adjustable psi head.

Jackie you definitely need a booster pump. Wow I didn't realize that you had this issue. You may want to consider a presflo positive pressure pump for your whole house. I have one from my well tank and get awesome psi through out the whole house. But I also us the booster on the ro. But anything will help you out.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting... Do you know, does adding a booster pump actually extend the life of the DI resin (if water flows through it faster, does it somehow make more zero TDS water with the DI resin lasting just as long as running 60psi water through it)? Or is your DI resin exhausting faster or the same now that more water is running through it?

As explained earlier post. The higher pressure increases rejection rate of membrane reducing tds into your di resign thus it does make your di resign last longer. So yes yes it does if boosting before the membrane and not just increasing it through di alone.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Joe :D Our pressure wasn't always like this. We think it has something to do with the holding tank. Atm TDS going into the ro unit is between 195 to 208. Going to get a plumber out here to look at it then go from there. Even still I'll be picking up a booster pump as soon as my reef tank cc is paid down enough. (Keeps me on budget)

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realized that my ozotech wasn't getting the right flow through it. I have a small air pump powering it but it's not the right size. I need a rate of 2.5lpm for all rates. I bought a whisper 60 which will be perfect rate for my ozotech. I also bought some new ozone resistant tubing from BRS the old tubing was getting oily and clogging so time for some new stuff.

I also checked all my levels and all was spot on. Except phosphate is up to .11 ppm zero nitrates though. I guess my Rowa phos is not working anymore. And maybe I do need to do those water changes duh I might use 500g instead of only 250g this time and with water changes should be where I want.

I'm just waiting for my membrane upgrade kit to get here. Can you say faster water.

Last edited:
OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the new membrane in series. Booster pump is only at pushing 110psi a bit lower than I want but for now it will work. I will order the high flow booster pump from Aqua fx soon.
image.jpg

Still at 2 tds post membranes
image.jpg

Here is the water math. Oh boy. See what great water pressure can do for you. Yes that's 13.76gallons an hour. What do you have going on? Remember my unit was a 75gpd running 140psi obtained 178gpd. Now that I upgraded to the 150 kit dual membranes I'm now pumping out. 330gpd
image.jpg

Tell me what your production rate is and let's see where we can take you.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like lta is not alive anymore. It got messed up pretty good in the wp40. It has only floated up one other time in the past few years I have had it. On another note my spilt bta well now bta's are doing great.

I'll have to scoop out the lta after I shower. Don't want it to get nasty up in there.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep it was putrid. Oh boy yucky is the word. But i got it out without going to crazy in the water. Some bits went around and fish ate them but that's okay. I also cranked up my ozone for a bit to help burn off any bad stuff.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More rain today yay.

Well did my first of belated water changes I've been slacking on I mad about 27 gallons in two hours.

I'm doing another one right now. Got a little algae to nock out. Still zero nitrates but that's the norm for me. I did see phosphate get to .11 oops before last water change. We will see what it is after my water change today.

Hope all is well. Kind of quite in here

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Joe.... good to see that you have not killed everything in my absence... lol I have the same BRS 150gpd upgrade kit still BNIB and waiting to be installed when I get the chance. I figure it will come in handy when I get the new 185g built then around to the tank transfer and frag tank setup. I'll give you a call to update the fishing reports out here.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far only adjustments for camera are white balance adjustment of the Kelvin to 10k. Seemed to get rid of the blueish look of the photos under led. Next going to play with shutter speed and ISO.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back