LEDs and Acropora...Please shed some light on this topic (urrghhhh...)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Meldrath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For almost 2 years I've had my LED's on my main system, they can grow SPS but not nearly at the speed T5 or MH can. The other problem is the pinpoint light source, I find the sides of my acros usually die and this causes stress on the acros making them VERY susceptible to STN/RTN if they get damaged, injured or stressed.

As a note, I use a custom built by myself, 270 watt (90 x 3w CREE/Semi for UV) heavy blue/uv with a little red/green/white. It has very similar ratios to the AI Hydra 52's, and grows LPS and Softies like a champ.

Last edited:

kidtango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For almost 2 years I've had my LED's on my main system, they can grow SPS but not nearly at the speed T5 or MH can. The other problem is the pinpoint light source, I find the sides of my acros usually die and this causes stress on the acros making them VERY susceptible to STN/RTN if they get damaged, injured or stressed.

As a note, I use a custom built by myself, 270 watt (90 x 3w CREE/Semi for UV) heavy blue/uv with a little red/green/white. It has very similar ratios to the AI Hydra 52's, and grows LPS and Softies like a champ.
Is this a common issue with other brand named leds also? Is this an issue due to the lens or the spread of the led fixture that you designed?

Meldrath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it to be an issue even with my AI Hydra 52's... and I used a very widespread lens on all my homebuilt leds.

Remember even with a lens, you're just only spreading it out, it's still coming from a pinpoint source instead of being bounced off a reflector at all different angles and internally off the glass. With a lens, you're just spreading the light from a cone, to a ripply cone, it's still the same effect, little internal reflection along with no "deep" angle reflections from a reflector.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like normal shading issues, IME having plenty of fixture overlap or fixtures that cover the entire surface of the tank help.

akustik.sound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
f8f1040a67062a4d9e688774621c6cef.jpg
dd0687d70d6516a9ff60088151f579bc.jpg

http://www.salzwasserwelten.de/produkttests/beleuchtung/kessil-a360-n/

Under Orphek and Kessil

bklynreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im keeping acros under 8 radion pros at 20Ks and also supplimenting them with 5 400 watt 20k radiums for a few hours. Best of both worlds but honestly if my tank wasn't 36 deep id use ati fixtures as well for the best of all worlds.

jonb27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I use a mixture of LED's and t5's I use the Fluval 2.0 Marine and sea the ones with the dimmable mode I use 4 of the t5 from red sea and two fluval led bars

Daytonareefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something that may have been said but I didn't see and needs to be said. I had reefbreeder's a few years now and one reason corals bleach or in my case did not bleach but did not grow is the light intensity was too high. My lights are only about 6" off the water in my canopy so I figured out if I run them 30% to 40% overall they grow fine anymore than that they look good but don't grow. People think because sps grow better under strong light that led's should be cranked all the way up or up too high in intensity and with shadowing I can see why but in most cases its to strong of lighting so nothing grows or it grows so slow you can't tell. I have started switching to hydra 26's which I like better but the reefbreeder's work fine once tuned right. The companies that make these lights should have better paperwork included with the light to help dial them in right. It's hard to believe they charge so much money and a lot don't include instructions. I hope this helps other people out.

bklynreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something that may have been said but I didn't see and needs to be said. I had reefbreeder's a few years now and one reason corals bleach or in my case did not bleach but did not grow is the light intensity was too high. My lights are only about 6" off the water in my canopy so I figured out if I run them 30% to 40% overall they grow fine anymore than that they look good but don't grow. People think because sps grow better under strong light that led's should be cranked all the way up or up too high in intensity and with shadowing I can see why but in most cases its to strong of lighting so nothing grows or it grows so slow you can't tell. I have started switching to hydra 26's which I like better but the reefbreeder's work fine once tuned right. The companies that make these lights should have better paperwork included with the light to help dial them in right. It's hard to believe they charge so much money and a lot don't include instructions. I hope this helps other people out.
[emoji106]

Harold Green

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most of us running led's would like more help in setting them up properly. Mine are a mix of Chinese imports and diy cree's. I'm finding the corals are growing better under the imports than the cree's. Most sps are growing well but slowly. Colors are fine. Brain corals on the sand bed have feeding tentacles out most of the time. Sps are encrusting on the rocks. Only problem so far is I have several monti caps, orange, purple, white with purple polyps and green. Each time I get a green it fades to white over several weeks while all other acros look fine. All the other caps have polyps extended and are growing. Off topic I don't seem to find a place shady enough in the tank for mushrooms to expand. Paly's on the sand bed are fully open and look like they could handle even more light. At present I have just under 900 watts of led's on a 210. Mostly rb and cw. Love the way the colors look in the tank but I think thats from a few red and lime led's. Previously I had a 75 with vho's and the soft coral growth was taking over the tank. However I got tired of the cost of replacement lamps and the second time the ice cap ballast died I decided it was time to try led's.

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's interesting and refreshing that you said that. I have run breeders ever since I began using led. I tried out the orbits, but they simply don't have the power.. However, back on topic, it's interesting, because with threads, most documentation says to start them out at 30% on white and to usually ramp over a week or two period at a time over a realistic throughout the day schedule.

Well, I for one have never run mine that way. One reason was(and I'm not too willing to deviate) I never had any success running any kind of light more than 8 to 9 hours on my display tanks. I typically run 8 hours straight, same intensity, at lower intensity. I usually ramp it up(and down) over say a hour at the most, then let it go at that.

I, right now, on my 180 that I upgraded from a 50, and I am only running the whites at 30%, and the blues at 80%. And I only went to 30 from 20 last week. It has been sitting at 20 for the longest. But my point or thought is, in addition to what your saying, and I completely agree, that the duration, for me at least that is suggested is far too long. I just honestly, set them up, and forget. I probably will not touch anything with the lights for another month and a half at least. But, Idon't know, at least for me, the short duration works well. Even on my 50, with a photon 48, I was getting great color and growth with whites on 15 and blues on 40.

But I have to agree about supplemental with the shade. I am running 3 5' t5 bulbs simply for fill. It's weird though, as I'm not sure wether it's the fluorescents or just the led, but I am getting some very interesting colors. Also, the growth it's very different, with more initial large base growth on almost everything first, then it spreads out rapidly as far as outward and arm growth..lll"

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Optics or not plays a huge role in led lighting. A light with 40-60-90 degree optics will need to be dimmed down while a fixture with no (120 degree) optics can be turned up higher.

ck24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Optics or not plays a huge role in led lighting. A light with 40-60-90 degree optics will need to be dimmed down while a fixture with no (120 degree) optics can be turned up higher.

So is it better to use optics or not?

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is it better to use optics or not?

That's the big question. Depends on your tank and setup.

Leds high or over a deep tank could use optics to penetrate the water with light. Lights 6-12" over a 12-24" tank can likely do without optics depending on how many fixtures/LEDs.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 14 15.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 19 20.4%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 55 59.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.4%
Back