LEDs and Acropora...Please shed some light on this topic (urrghhhh...)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

kacrocorals581

Gotta have that acro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
look at the link I posted I few up he did diy from the get go with progression shots best representation of led growing corals great I've ever came across

kchapmanjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up my friend Brad Syphus in UT on FaceBook he has had some of the fastest growth I've seen with this combo. (documented) His husbandry practices are equally as important. But some great results with that light.
Brad's tank is definitely awesome, but, unless I missed it somewhere, he uses a 72" Maristar fixture. Did he switch somewhere along the way?

kchapmanjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it entertaining that this is still a topic of debate for so many. LED tech is like the "lego" of reef lighting. Most fixtures are designed with a one size fits all approach which leads a lot of people to never fully understand how to correctly tune it.

With a proper basis of design, a killer LED fixture can out perform other lighting options as you build an optimal spectrum nm "brick by brick".

In regards to color shift, this is the case with any lighting. Radiant flux is radiant flux, the spectrum is what varies... hint hint.

A few other thoughts; don't become biased from short term experiment results published by universities, and be sure to understand the cause and effect of color shift/morphing (both desirable and undesireable). That sometimes means backtracking from the result to find the cause.

If you invest some time, you'll figure it out.
I like seeing our locals on the national threads... Makes me feel like I'm at home :) I saw Powder was browsing too.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank links are in my sig. All LEDs since April 2011. Any problems with my tank have been my fault with water quality or pests. Lighting has never been an issue. There has never been a question of LEDs growing sps (not recently anyway). Colors you get out of your Acros will vary from MH to T5 to LED and even from MH to MH or T5 to T5 depending on bulb spectrum/intensity/combo. An Acro that looks spectacular under blue LEDs can look plain under MH or T5 and vice versa.

When I started this hobby LEDs weren't even used over tanks and there were as many threads on forums about people not being able to grow and color SPS. People have been looking for the magical growth/color lighting setup for a long time, long before LEDs were around.

ReefCave

Bradd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brad's tank is definitely awesome, but, unless I missed it somewhere, he uses a 72" Maristar fixture. Did he switch somewhere along the way?
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
It appears that is the case. He may have switched it up. I know reef brite has for a long time been part of Brads lighting the Maristar may be new? Maybe he'll chime in? Regardless it's always had the halide element.

Last edited:

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Squamosa
Thanks for sharing your graphs. I'm amazed that your whites are that high, but apparently that's where they need to be. Do you have a tank thread?

What steps did you take to get your lights to the setting of where they are today?
I'm assuming you didn't just set them at that and just let them run.

jasonandsarah

Sticks, sticks and more STICKS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so any one have pics or a link to a thread of a successful ALL LED SPS tank that shows documented growth? Let's see the results, enough debate let the coral and long term hands on successful LED experience w/ SPS start talking. With ALL the diehard LED advocates this should be a breeze.
I shared a couple pics of pretty good growth under led and my tank has been completely Led for 2+ years . It a 75g Sps dominant tank.
I have other pics, it's not just the one acro that grows! [emoji6]

ReefCave

Bradd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shared a couple pics of pretty good growth under led and my tank has been completely Led for 2+ years . It a 75g Sps dominant tank.
I have other pics, it's not just the one acro that grows! [emoji6]
It appears the Radions are working well! I have been hearing more and more success especially with the gen 3 pro ( why I'm finally taking the plunge) do you have a graph you mind sharing? That is respectable growth since radion switch.

Brad Syphus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Brad for the compliments. I've always had my Maristar light fixture that runs 3 , 250de halides (Phoenix bulbs) and 4, 39w T-5's ATI Blue Plus bulbs, and three years ago added 2, 72" XHO Reefbrite LED strips to add the pop to the tank and coral. Big believer in Halides and wont ever change. But I believe the more diverse your lightinng is, the better.
_MG_5832.jpg

My grandson just to give you the scale of the tank.

jasonandsarah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears the Radions are working well! I have been hearing more and more success especially with the gen 3 pro ( why I'm finally taking the plunge) do you have a graph you mind sharing? That is respectable growth since radion switch.
I'm not exactly sure how to share my graph? I mainly use the reef link now on android and for some reason I don't get the color spectrum graph when I turn my phone sideways?
Last time I shared my full schedule with someone I had to take screen shots of every time my lights ramped up or down.

ReefCave

Bradd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try
I'm not exactly sure how to share my graph? I mainly use the reef link now on android and for some reason I don't get the color spectrum graph when I turn my phone sideways?
Last time I shared my full schedule with someone I had to take screen shots of every time my lights ramped up or down.

ReefCave

Bradd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you want the graph or the PDF form? Logging onto ecosmart now
Thats cool thanks. Something similar to what squamosa provided earlier. Screen shot of schedule and intensities. If you do have a PAR meter it would be interesting to see what the Acros that are receiving the best growth location and what those PAR readings are at peak intensity.

jasonandsarah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats cool thanks. Something similar to what squamosa provided earlier. Screen shot of schedule and intensities. If you do have a PAR meter it would be interesting to see what the Acros that are receiving the best growth location and what those PAR readings are at peak intensity.
I have it clicked on what the schedule is at peak of the day. Besides between 12:30-5:30 I have my green set to 0
uploadfromtaptalk1433633491091.jpg

ReefCave

Bradd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it clicked on what the schedule is at peak of the day. Besides between 12:30-5:30 I have my green set to 0
uploadfromtaptalk1433633491091.jpg
Awesome! This is what is nice about using a programmable platform with individual channels and them having the ability to be tracked and programmed. It achieves a much clearer picture of how results are obtained with far less guessing or assuming. Much easier to duplicate for those that want it to work based on results instead of trying to "figure it out" . Also when it comes to shallow water Acropora, one cannot argue the fact that red and UV are present in the natural color spectrum the shallow corals are receiving. If you have studied or visited a indo pacific reef you'll also know that some of these SPS are exposed to 100% pure light at low tides. (no water to filter the spectrum. Only their slime coat) there are however many SPS often the same species that thrive which are found in much deeper water, where Red and UV are minimal if at all. A good question may be what their growth and color differences are for the same Species at different depths.

Last edited:

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since getting back into the hobby around 3 years ago I have used LEDs for most of my tanks and have not had issues with them at all. I retrofitted a biocube with panorama pro LEDs and it grew acros and SPS plenty well, especially for that little tank. For fun I swapped those with a Steve's LED extreme kit - it was a bit more touchy since there were so many high power LEDs, but no real issues. At one point I dropped the photo-period down because they were growing too fast in that small space and were a pain to frag. I used reefbreeders over my 65g and they performed well - good enough for me to win the acro growout contest in my signature and there were not any lighting restrictions in that contest. I now am running AI lights and am happy with them. Overall LEDs in general have been easy to get good results for me. I do borrow my clubs PAR meter for placement, but aside from that they have been pretty much plug and play with all those LED types which range from cheap Chinese to odd spectrum to high end DIY to high end commercial and some used cool whites, others warm whites. They all did great, but on all of them I had violet spectrum or near UV.

One area that I have not tired is moving large colonies from other lighting types, all these systems were growing frags to colonies, so I can't comment on that. Here is the growout contest photo with an updates. I think the contest was over 4 months, the next photo is 2 months after that and the final photo is just now so another 2 months. Excuse the last photo, it was just quick and since the acro is near the surface I can't get good pics anymore:

2.jpg
1.jpg
IMG_2357.JPG

ReefCave

Bradd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@hart24601 That is also some really nice growth. Was this growth all obtained with the Hydra at what PAR? Are your settings close to that of the RadionG3 above? Assuming water chemistry was consistent with each light swap, which light would you say achieved the best results based on the LED fixtures you have experimented with?

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 1st pic before/after was under reefbreeders value LEDs, the 2nd two are from AI hydra 26s.

The best results are honestly just when I target feed the acro more when it comes to growth. Other than that I have not noticed much difference. I will say that the hydras have brought out reds much better, or at least reds look better under them. Plus the AIs are much more powerful so I can get the PAR I target (this guy is in 600PAR, my other acros around 300-400) so overall I have enjoyed the AI lights the best, but I liked all the lights I listed.

ReefCave

Bradd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 1st pic before/after was under reefbreeders value LEDs, the 2nd two are from AI hydra 26s.

The best results are honestly just when I target feed the acro more when it comes to growth. Other than that I have not noticed much difference. I will say that the hydras have brought out reds much better, or at least reds look better under them. Plus the AIs are much more powerful so I can get the PAR I target (this guy is in 600PAR, my other acros around 300-400) so overall I have enjoyed the AI lights the best, but I liked all the lights I listed.
Light is only one of many ingredients for acro

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back