My 9 year old 12g AquaPod

brazilian_guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My total water volume is about 8 gallons which is why I usually do 4 gallon water changes. When I first switched to ESV I drained my tank and refilled with fresh mixed ESV(I was battling a case of neglected tank syndrome). The temperatures of the tank and new water were the same and nothing showed any stress that I remember. Since then I've always done at least 50% changes because I target feed a LOT of cyclopeeze every other day. Algae gets out of hand if I don't. As long as the new ESV water is the same temperature as my tank the corals and clownfish never show any stress at all.

You should be completely fine with 2-3g changes.

Since with the ESV I can make every batch identical to the one before with a digital scale, the only difference between new water and tank water is the nutrients removed and Ca/Mg/Alk replaced...less of a swing than if I were dosing and parameters stay at optimal levels.

Hope this helps.

yes it does thanks. as of right now i dont have a digi scale. so im doing it by vol. until i get one @ walmeeze

OP
OP
jonbar1

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time.
I finally finished my latest attempt at actinics for this tank and think I am finally happy with the tanks lighting. I used four 3w Cree XT-E Royal Blues and an Osram 660nm Red. I used a 1 1/4" aluminum angle spray painted flat black, some mylar for side reflection and managed to get it all wired up inside the SunPod with a couple grommets and butt connectors to make it not look too jury rigged. I used some spare mounting legs cut down to the slide and attached those to the angle with E6000 glue to attach the strip onto the SunPod.

Here's how it looks attached to the SunPod
IMG_6218.jpg

IMG_6217.jpg

IMG_6214.jpg

The tank with MH only
IMG_6202.jpg

IMG_6203.jpg

LEDs turned on
IMG_6219.jpg

IMG_6220.jpg

And LEDs only
IMG_6213.jpg

IMG_6212.jpg

I also moved my old huge Indo acan colony into a different tank since it was outgrowing this nano and fighting with the Duncan. I moved the Favias into it's place and they seem happy with long tentacles almost always out.

OP
OP
jonbar1

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!!

It does kinda look like my tank is getting pulled over by the police according to my wife, but I love it.

Only downside is now I've got the LED itch and want to put XM-Ls over my freshwater planted tanks to replace the PCs. Anyone know if you can run a string of 4 LEDs and a separate string of 2 off the same Mean Well LPC-60-1750 driver? The freshwater tanks are five feet from eachother and I'd prefer to light both off the same driver but one is high light(4 XM-Ls) and the other is low light(2 XM-Ls).

dsmhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Glad to see the leds worked out nicely.

kevantheman35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info! Ill be ordering this week. Probably going to do 2 6cree strips. I was planning on going all royal blue but do you think the red helps pop the colors?

OP
OP
jonbar1

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds great! The single red does perk up the acans colors, but only really noticible when only the LEDs are on. All royal blue would be a safe bet in hindsight.

jtgordon20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you say is part of your reason to have long term success?
I just recently transferred to a 14g biocube!
Your tank is looking great!! Keep it up!

OP
OP
jonbar1

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you say is part of your reason to have long term success?
I just recently transferred to a 14g biocube!
Your tank is looking great!! Keep it up!

Thank you!
I'd have to say ESV salt mix and Cyclopeeze. Regular use of both has made everything very happy and problem free.

ReefPops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is awesome. Thanks for sharing. I absolutely love how it has all come together!

MrsCFMX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!
I'd have to say ESV salt mix and Cyclopeeze. Regular use of both has made everything very happy and problem free.

+1 on ESV salt!!! Great stuff and once you have it down it always mixes with the same values.

Beautiful nano by the way!!!! :bigsmile:

hoanle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice! I love those Acans. Thanks for sharing with us.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 55 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 39 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back