My 9 year old 12g AquaPod

LukeG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks great. If you need to free up space I'm accepting donations. lol

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Curvball

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool, nicely done.

Posted from the comfort of my iPhone...

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very inspiring nano. You talk a lot of the esv salt and its consistency. Just curious if you have reason to believe (through testing) other brands may not be as consistent. I don't test much when making new water, just match temp and salinity.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

NVTE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stunning nano. How you keep the temp in tank?

OP
OP
jonbar1

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while and an update is overdue...

The MH lighting was replaced with a DiY LED light I made from aluminum U channels and an old arm to a JBJ Viper. It consists of 6 XT-E Royal Blues, 2 410nm Violets, and 1 XP-G Cool White. I also added a GFO reactor last year to work on my longstanding phosphate issues.

I also switched from ESV salt to HW Marinemix Reefer, again to fight phosphates as I've had suspicions of ESV salt being one of many contributers.

I bounce around hobbies a lot and became a father last year, but I'll try to keep updating in the years to come.

OP
OP
jonbar1

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I've been using HW Reefer for about a year and have no complaints so far. I just make sure not to use the heater while mixing so nothing precipitates onto the mixing tub.

Looks like I missed a meme contest, but here's one I thought of at work:

Last edited:

brad65ford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow look at the difference in size/puffness of the acans when you had MH over the LED's. You ever think about going back to MH's?
Tank looks amazing by the way!

OP
OP
jonbar1

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't very actively photographing the tank in between updates, but there is much more at play than just the lighting.

In the earlier photos where the acans are puffy, I was feeding a mix of Cyclop-Eeze and frozen Mysis to nearly every polyp around 3 times a week. Even with nearly total weekly waterchanges, I couldn't keep up with excess nutrients. Caulerpa, GHA, and bubble algae went nuts and eventually I got tired of the manual removal every week that made a waterchange take over an hour. As the photos show, the LPS showed their appreciation by puffing up. I should have taken a pre-waterchange photo to show my conundrum.

Finally my hatred of nuissance algae won out and I installed a GFO reactor, turned the back chamber into a refugium, and switched salts to HW MarineMix Reefer. I also cut coral feedings to once a week maximum, usually every other week, using MUCH less food. This is when the puffiness went down a lot.

After running like this for about a year, I switched the MH to LED.
I didn't expect 4 RB, 2 Violet, and 1 CW at 700mah to be much brighter than a 70W MH bulb with 4 RB LEDs...but the corals definitely noticed. For the first 2-3 months the Acans got much lighter colored and were nearly on the verge of bleaching but this was quickly followed by an intensification of coloration that has lasted since. Now that algae won't grow in the refugium, I am slowly feeding more and more often to make the LPS happier.

So would I switch back? After the pigment intensification the corals showed from the LEDs, no way. Photos don't really capture it, but the corals were dull under MH for lack of a better word. Now they have that sheen to their colors like the reflective tape on street signs. If I wanted more puffiness, I could add a dimmer to the LEDs but it still wouldn't be like the puffiness from tons of feeding.

CoralManz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is incredible Jon well done,it's not everyday that you see a decade old system still up and running much less at such a small volume of water.If you read this could you post an update?That meme is spot on too lol.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 23 26.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 33 37.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.6%
Back