My 9 year old 12g AquaPod

Mr. D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the response. Ill probably be taking my surface skimmer mod just because I don't like having to worry about it falling and messing up the water level. Another thing I did was actually make a make shift media stacked grey to fit inside the first chamber. It had 3 huge sponges in as stock and made it super easy for detritus build up.

Looks great. That is actually what I'm workin toward in my 7 gallon mini bow. I currently have a 90 watt reef ready AquaUfo Led system on my 12 JBJ.

You got any suggestions for improvement for me?

uall8up

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tanks. Thank you for posting the pics. Can't wait to see the softie tank develop.

6Speed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very impressive! Always cool to see someone who has stuck with it long enough to see great results!

NanoNathan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a real piece of art. Good job i hope one day i can get a tank to look half as good as yours.

OP
OP
jonbar1

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too much going on with the tank last month to get any decent pics but things are starting to settle down.
First off, I decided to up the arms race with the Caulerpa after some experimentation with hydrogen peroxide. During water changes, I drain the tank more than half way which leaves a decent amount of exposed rock covered with macroalgae. I decided to try some spot treatments by squirting a little H2O2 on the rock and leaving it sit for a few minutes before filling the tank back up with new water. Sure enough, the treated Caulerpa and other algaes promptly turned clear and died off over the next couple days. The next water change, I went a little overboard and squirted a lot haphazardly over the algae covered rock. Apparently I got some on the Neon Green Caulastrea because when I filled the tank back up it was sliming off all the neon green pigment leaving it mostly dull brown. It's coloring back up now, but was a little worrysome at first. Thankfully the algaes weren't so lucky...
I've also been moving some corals around due to sweeper tentacles and how much everything has grown together. The Prism Favias have been moved to the very back of the tank where they can't sweep anything anymore and the Nuclear Greens which were being surrounded by the Meteor Shower Cyphastrea got moved into their spot along with an Acan lord frag that had nowhere to grow. The orange Acan echinata was moved back after his monthly sweep of the dark green lord in front of him, so hopefully everything is out of its reach now as well. Safecracker zoas are quickly filling in all the voids on that side of the tank and have more room to spread now as well.
The only other new news is the Sun Coral I have been spot feeding mysis every day has finally grown over most of the old dead skeleton and is actually starting to send out a bunch of baby polyps. Lesson learned, Tubastreas are HEAVY feeders.

IMG_6521.jpg

Also, here's another update on the 29g softie tank. I'm still only using tap water on this tank and water changes are few and far between. This means turf algae heaven but the corals seem to be doing very well so it's a compromise for now. I added as many "invasive" softies as I could find and so far they're doing what I wanted. I was just surprised to find Efflatounaria to be more invasive than Anthelia or Xenia.

IMG_6518.jpg

OP
OP
jonbar1

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone's interested, I finally organized all my FTS photos of this tank from its start in 2006 to now on Blogger. You can view it here:
12g AquaPod

Eventually I'll probably do this will all my tanks to track their progress.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your nano looks fantastic. Great idea with the blog. It is neat to look back and see how far our tanks have come.

Bry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone's interested, I finally organized all my FTS photos of this tank from its start in 2006 to now on Blogger. You can view it here:
12g AquaPod

Eventually I'll probably do this will all my tanks to track their progress.

Love walking through the years of evolution and growth on this incredible tank! Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
jonbar1

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'd show another perspective of the tank that isn't often shown. I tend to be a night owl, so this is how I see the tank for a lot of the day.
These are from several hours after lights out and just taken with the flash.

IMG_6558.jpg

IMG_6550.jpg

IMG_6549.jpg

IMG_6551.jpg

IMG_6556.jpg

IMG_6553.jpg

IMG_6552.jpg

IMG_6562.jpg

IMG_6557.jpg

james1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
really is a great nano. do you ever sit back and say, "okay, its done" LOL I mean, you cant fit much more in there.

OP
OP
jonbar1

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
really is a great nano. do you ever sit back and say, "okay, its done" LOL I mean, you cant fit much more in there.

Actually, that's pretty much how I've been for a while. When funds free up, I'd like to get a UFO Micromussa and a red & yellow Blasto. Not sure I'll have room for another Blasto though with how much things on the sandbed have grown.

Now I'm at the point of just trying to keep certain things from touching eachother. If you notice the bottom left of the chalice in the above photos you can see where the Xmas Favia has been brushing up against it with it's sweepers. One of them will probably go eventually. You definitely learn what corals get along and what don't when you have a nano.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 58 40.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 28.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back