OP
jonbar1

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much has changed but here's a pic from today. I removed the deep red LED from the actinic strip since its shimmer was kinda distracting and noticed a bit more algae growth than normal. The algae is still doing well without the deep red and it will find its way back to the tank when I eventually switch to just LEDs. The XM bulb is over a year old and getting less and less 20K so hopefully the next update is the new LED array :cool:

IMG_6297.jpg

IMG_6300.jpg

Here's some mock ups for the LED array, just waiting mostly on the heat sinks to be back in stock:

ledarrangementwired1.png

ledarrangementwired2.png

reefmadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your secret to keeping and growing your acans? I have never seemed to have very good luck with these particular corals. Hopefully your years of skill and knowledge can help me finally start being successful with acans.

OP
OP
jonbar1

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not entirely sure to be honest. I've had them under pretty intense light when I had a 150w MH over this little tank and now under a 20K 70w. They did well under both so doubt that's it. I've used multiple different salt mix brands and the acans were never sensitive to the different ones like some other corals were. I've had them under heavily skimmed SPS conditions and now relatively dirty conditions. They did well in both. I've had them under very high flow and now moderately low flow, and again, good with both. They even survived a power outage that left them without flow, light, or heat for over a week and their water was heavily polluted by all the dead SPS and zoas.

I've always fed them and think it's pretty important. I used to feed just mysis for a couple years, then just cyclopeeze for a couple years. As of a few days ago, I'm feeding a mix of mysis, cyclopeeze, and rotifers. I don't expect much difference, I just feel better giving a variety.

OP
OP
jonbar1

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a year without buying any corals, I finally broke the slump. A local place got in this PPE Blasto and I just couldn't resist. Now I just need a red & yellow blasto and a bleeding apple scoly to complete my scape...

IMG_6374.jpg

IMG_6376.jpg

And an updated FTS while I'm at it
IMG_6375.jpg

Mr. D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job on your tank. I have a JBJ 12 gallon nano cube I'm working on to mimic such awesomeness, but patience will tell. I've never fed my corals, but its on the list. I honestly can't decide on how to best position my rock. I'll try and post some pics of my tank soon as well to get everyone's tips on what I can do better.

OP
OP
jonbar1

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much going on with the tank during these lazy days of summer, but here's some new pics since it's been a while.

IMG_6503-Copy.jpg

IMG_6510-Copy.jpg

I think eventually the Prism Favias in the middle are gonna have to go, it's just too hard to accommodate corals with 3-4" sweeper tentacles. They never showed them when they were on the sandbed, but now that they are higher up the tentacles are almost always out.

On another note, I decided to post a picture of a softie tank I've been putting together. It used to be a FOWLR and has only ever had tap water used in it, so the bubble algae is a bit past out of control. It will never be a TOTM, but something about the swaying soft corals on the algae covered rock is really captivating. I wanting a tank that reminded me of what caught my eye when I first started reefing, not the newest high end coral seeker I became later on. Once things grow in and get cleaned up I'll start a new thread for this tank.
IMG_6499-Copy.jpg

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW 6 years old? Great job, looks fantastic. Do you have to frag stuff back often?

OP
OP
jonbar1

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! The only thing I have fragged in a long time are the safecracker zoas and nuclear greens just so I could put some in the other tank. The LPS are pretty good about keeping eachothers size limited. They mostly grow into eachother or create a clear border like between the cyphastrea and acans. The orange echinata seems to do a monthly sweep that takes the green lord down to a few polyps and then does it again once it grows back out.

Mr. D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question...

I have a 12 gallon JBJ. I have a surface skimmer on it that stays on via water pressure. I can't tell from your pics, but do you have one on your tank? And if so, did you silicone it in or just reset it after water changes?

And what method do you use to keep your glass so clean? Doesn't look as if anything ever gets disturbed.

Thanks!!

OP
OP
jonbar1

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question...

I have a 12 gallon JBJ. I have a surface skimmer on it that stays on via water pressure. I can't tell from your pics, but do you have one on your tank? And if so, did you silicone it in or just reset it after water changes?

And what method do you use to keep your glass so clean? Doesn't look as if anything ever gets disturbed.

Thanks!!

I don't have a surface skimmer, but I did run a thin sheet of plastic down the first chamber to cover up the bottom and middle vents so water can only come in from the top vent. That seemed to work well, so I never did the surface skimmer mod.
The glass I scrape with a razor blade about once a month or so for the hard stuff and every few days with a mag float to get the easy stuff. The side glass is actually pretty covered since I can't get under the corals there, so I usually don't take side photos. Coralline algae hasn't grown well in this tank since I switched from the stock PC lights to metal halide years ago, so I don't have to worry about cleaning that. Hope that helps!

Last edited:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back