OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are looking into a home security system now. Signs point to the workers constructing a house next door. There was mud in my house and the only mud was next door. They left my back door open, but the gate was closed, meaning they probably had to jump the fence.

acesfull44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This happened to my home about 7 years ago, and what caught me off guard the most was it was BROAD DAYLIGHT! I guess I am naive about that, but this rattled our house and my little girl for a while. It sucks for sure, but I made some adjustments to the locks on the doors, security system etc. The insurance paid for most everything, but the real issue was invasion of privacy, and the feeling of helplessness this creates. Fortunately you and your family are safe (including the animals of coarse). Good luck, and I hope all ends well.

EricP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our house was robbed about 5 years ago while I was at a NY Giants game. My wife came home from work and discovered what happened. called the police then me. It sucked. All they want is jewelry. Oh yea I almost forgot, broad daylight. There are now 5 cameras outside and one inside. (facing the safe)

Monroereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sorry to hear this. It is time to invest in a home security system. I mean we all have things like Apex and ReefKeeper and what not to alert on the tanks. I think a home security system is a must these days. In addition you hear about all these punks who are trashing the LFS all the time, stealing and killing stuff. It is worth an investment for home and LFS and in our current times, it is not that expensive anymore.

Glad that no one was hurt. Hope they catch the point of sale. If they were the workers next door they must have been watching your routine..

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, that s*****s. We had extra cameras setup in our home to at least see who broke in. I hope they catch them, sorry man!

marcoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh snap, so sorry to hear! My wife and I live in a home that is about 4500 sq. feet, with our three dogs. I think all the time of how there are so many places to hide, and places I never even go into. Like others have said, a Dropcam is a great investment, and an alarm system. We pay around $35 a month for an alarm and it gives us the peace of mind that if anyone comes in while we are asleep, we will hear it go off. Plus, I live in Utah...and everyone has a gun. I'm not pro gun or anything crazy, but I do collect them. I sleep next to one, just in case. If anything, the noise will scare someone away. Assuming you like guns and are allowed to have them in your state. It certainly gives me a false sense of security, but at least, I'm not nervous to sleep.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the back door is a sliding glass type you need more than factory lock. Doesn't work. A screwdriver gets you in. A simple 1X2" firring strip of wood between the inside door and the wall will solve you issue. Check local pawn shops in your area. I would bet the thiefs are kids.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks! Sounds like you need a dog! :D

Hope they catch the waste

TylerS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend a good monitored alarm system. Originally my wife made me get it but now that I have it I can't imagine being without. Kind of like a cell phone. I pay $30/mo and I think it's well worth it. I remember a news article about several homes in my area were robbed. The story was house A had $70,000 worth of stuff stolen, House B had some stuff stolen, house C had an alarm system and the point of sale ran off once it started sounding and didn't take anything.

blackgrouper79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are looking into a home security system now. Signs point to the workers constructing a house next door. There was mud in my house and the only mud was next door. They left my back door open, but the gate was closed, meaning they probably had to jump the fence.
That's exactly who did it every single time there is a construction crew in my neighborhood things go missing with in a few days. Guaranteed it's the workers!!!

timkenagy

~Unashamed 116~
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Upper middle class" would make you a great target. But sorry about your losses.. I've had that happen and even worse my home burn to the ground. Even know the fire was worse financially the B&E left me with a disgusted/violated feeling. But try and keep in mind, they just took stuff and your family, what's really important is all ok.. I hope they catch them.. But just be prepared that even if the do... Don't de surprised if you don't get your stuff back. (From experience)

Betty1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing I hate most about being robbed is that you lose your sense of comfort and security. Someone has violated your sanctuary and it isn't your "safe" place anymore. There is no relaxing there. Each time we were robbed, it wasn't too long after that that we ended up moving away just because the stress level never really drops. You have my deepest sympathy.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ever you do or don't , Please don't let your emotions dictate anything. IMO a dog is a unwise move as well as a Gun(are you willing to kill or risk a child hurting someone) Plus an alarm system that has monitoring is a waste of money. Improve you security in your Doors and windows. If they can't get in, you Will Not need anything else. Yes? Don't leave any door or window unlocked or Not secure enough to prevent a breach of your house. A secure Castle doesn't get broken into so easily. Hence a moat around a castle. (duel purpose). :cool::cool::cool: @Breakthecycle2

Back