My house got robbed tonight

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not a get a dog? That's not making any sense to me.
IMO Dogs are easy to subdue and besides people hear dogs all the time, of which they ignore. It's sort like the car alarm going off in the parking lot at walmart. Plus their are articles on the Internet that can add to this. Just my 2cents.

timkenagy

~Unashamed 116~
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little offended that you would make such a broad generalization about "workers." I have worked construction in the past and I wouldn't have dreamed of taking something that wasn't mine. Not only that, but the crew I worked with were a really great bunch of guys. Maybe things are different up in northern Minnesota. Anyway, just something to consider.
Why is everyone so easily offended nowadays? There was nothing wrong with that statement as it was a generalization towards "workers" as in meaning "other humans" because in ANY profession there's good and bad people. Example.. For every cop you see beating a black kid for nothing there's a hundred that protect that black kid from everything.. But the entire country hates cops because of the 1/100. But that doesn't mean there's no such thing as a bad cop either. The same can be said about construction "workers".. It doesn't matter what part of the country you live in there's gonna be some bad ones that will give the rest of you a bad name. But don't take it personal when someone says it could've been a worker as if they were talking to you specifically. Because nobody thinks that.. wheres there's humans there's evil, no matter what profession it is.

timkenagy

~Unashamed 116~
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is much more why you guys are "getting robbed by construction guys" as the owner of a painting company I find it pretty offensive when people think hard working men WITH JOBS who are working to feed there families just as you do are somehow criminals.
Again, he wasn't talking about you when he said "workers"..

chris124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had this happen to my family years ago. Kids skipping school broke in wrecked the house ate our food and destroyed the aquarium. My uncle who's a police officer said they could catch them by going to the school down the street and take some finger prints. But unfortunately the law doesn’t allow that. Since then we got an alarm and they tried it again and it scared them off. If you can get two or three dogs it makes a difference. Because the last time someone tried to get in they broke a back window and and my five dogs sent them a strong message. I hate it happened to you and I hope the idiots get caught and you get your stuff back. Stay safe.

joshkirkland83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO Dogs are easy to subdue and besides people hear dogs all the time, of which they ignore. It's sort like the car alarm going off in the parking lot at walmart. Plus their are articles on the Internet that can add to this. Just my 2cents.
I would love to see someone subdue my four dogs. And as far as hearing them, thats better than an alarm system. Thats the best sound deterrent there is. You can put all your fancy wood blocks and locks on doors and windows. I know when a thief cant get a door or window open, hes goin to break the glass, then what?

Angler and Eels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Especially you have children an alarm or motion sensor cameras which will alert you will be a good idea. Someone broke into my house after that I instantly got an alarm system and cameras. I will share my story it is pretty crazy.

This happened when my daughter was under a year old. I was sleeping in my bed and I heard noise on the baby monitor. I grab my XD with a surefire x300 attached and went to her room to find this point of sale looking over my daughters crib. I turned the light on my gun told the scum to put his hands in the air. Guy jumped into the window shattering the glass which cut cup his face and upper body. I thought he was dead. As I approached him he pushed himself out the 2nd story window causing him to become paralyzed. The guy is still in jail and I get victim updates. When he gets out I know he will be staying away from my house.

Sometimes a gun can end a situation without ever firing a shot. The baby monitor was also a big help. I now get an alert on my phone when my alarm is on and my motion detectors on my cameras detect motion.

In short crap happens. You can take steps to prevent things from happening or escalating but don't live your life all paranoid. I also live in a very nice area.

Last edited:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is much more why you guys are "getting robbed by construction guys" as the owner of a painting company I find it pretty offensive when people think hard working men WITH JOBS who are working to feed there families just as you do are somehow criminals.
I was saying that I didn't think it was construction workers? But people trying to rob construction sites which is common especially with new home builds

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Especially you have children an alarm or motion sensor cameras which will alert you will be a good idea. Someone broke into my house after that I instantly got an alarm system and cameras. I will share my story it is pretty crazy.

This happened when my daughter was under a year old. I was sleeping in my bed and I heard noise on the baby monitor. I grab my XD with a surefire x300 attached and went to her room to find this point of sale looking over my daughters crib. I turned the light on my gun told the scum to put his hands in the air. Guy jumped into the window shattering the glass which cut cup his face and upper body. I thought he was dead. As I approached him he pushed himself out the 2nd story window causing him to become paralyzed. The guy is still in jail and I get victim updates. When he gets out I know he will be staying away from my house.

Sometimes a gun can end a situation without ever firing a shot. The baby monitor was also a big help. I now get an alert on my phone when my alarm is on and my motion detectors on my cameras detect motion.

In short crap happens. You can take steps to prevent things from happening or escalating but don't live your life all paranoid. I also live in a very nice area.

Wow that story is horrifying. I have camera monitors in my daughters room and will for my new son as well. My dogs are great watch dogs, I have an alarm, and I am a very light sleeper and quite astute. I live in a nice area but had someone break in to my home while I was showering a few years ago. I heard the door to the bathroom start to open and I acted as if I was unaware and was also in shock. I was poised to pounce. It opened a bit more and then he bolted. I jumped out of the shower butt naked after him but I never saw him, he had a great head start. Heard him barreling down the stairs just far enough ahead of me and then slam the front door in front of me so I couldn't get to him. I didn't run outside, although I'm not bashful it's just not smart. I was on the offense didn't need to push it any more. I didn't have a gun at the time but now that I have a daughter I want to ensure I have a means of protecting my family. It's very easy to keep guns out of the hands of kids and as they get older they make fingerprint safes and other methods.

If it's my family or your life, I want to be able to make that decision myself, swiftly. Waiting for the police to show up is not an option.

Pfisherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When people rob houses one of the most valued scores are guns. Dogs are easily distracted. Get an alarm and if you get a gun, keep it in a safe. Better yet get a panic room.

I'm sorry about your situation, but you should get an alarm and always keep your doors locked.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that as a former Military Policeman in the Army (retired/disabled) I can't remember the number of break in, burglaries, ( let alone domestic violence calls) I responded to) I got robbed once myself. Glad you got the cats back. I know that Bengal has to be a pride and joy. Hope they catch the yahoo's.
I got carjacked a year ago in the VA parking lot. It was not fun. Now I carry.
Prayers out to you and your family

blackgrouper79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little offended that you would make such a broad generalization about "workers." I have worked construction in the past and I wouldn't have dreamed of taking something that wasn't mine. Not only that, but the crew I worked with were a really great bunch of guys. Maybe things are different up in northern Minnesota. Anyway, just something to consider.
no you're right and sorry I didn't mean to generalize. I've worked construction off and on for years and I'll say that I've worked with the best and worst of mankind. the unskilled day laborers (and I'm not saying all) are "typically" the guys in question not the skilled laborers as word of mouth recommendations (reputation) lands (us) them a lot/most of their jobs. once again sorry for the generalization just trying to keep things short but can see how it could come across. just speaking from personal, LEO and community experience. with a couple LEOs in the family in miami they deal with "bad workers" constantly it's a major issue. when something is stolen or broken into it's actually one of their first questions when dealing with these issues "is there any construction going on in the neighborhood that you know of?". hopefully that clears things up - wasn't trying to offend anyone but the bad guys.

Pat Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's exactly who did it every single time there is a construction crew in my neighborhood things go missing with in a few days. Guaranteed it's the workers!!!
i take offense to that being in the building trade myself. Can't get much work if people think you robbed them. No more referrals. Oops sorry is see you all ready apologized.

markh53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's why I have cameras and a security system on my home you just never know it gives me piece mind well worth the 40 bucks a month

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The detective came yesterday and filled us in. They have a guy at our county jail. He did not give up any info on my house...yet. It's my understanding they will go back at him. He also did not have any of our stuff in his car or house. Either he dumped it (which he admitted he would dump all his stuff in NYC) or he didn't do it. That being said the police feel very strongly he did. He was getting into my house weather or not the door was unlocked or locked. He would shoulder doors in. Alarms have not stopped him in the past. He is an Uber driver as well. He would drop people off and then go back and rob them. My wife uses Uber all the time for business trips to the airport, but she never got him. This is the guy in custody. His bail is up to over $200K currently.

http://ridgefieldpark.dailyvoice.co...con-charged-in-bergen-burglary-string/625391/

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your situation. It has happened to me before as well and I was lucky enough to plan such incidents.

Here's a little advice I give to you FWIW:

-Contrary to what the media and others may say, drug problems are not the motive for breaking into someone's home. It's about quick cash and a need to survive. Someone saw potential valuable items in your home based on where you live and what they have seen either from empty electronic boxes in your garbage to the kind of car you drive. It was someone whom was poor and trying to survive. The items are stolen and sold for money to survive to pawn shops or people walking by on the streets.

- If I were you, I would check pawn shops in the nearby area for the jewelry that was stolen. Since it is jewelry, it will be easier to identify. My custom laptop was stolen and luckily enough the criminal decided to pawn it one city over at a popular pawn shop. I contacted the cops, provided proof of purchase, and got my laptop back. The criminal was apprehended because of the identification used to pawn my laptop.

- Invest in a network surveillance systems. Once someone breaks into your home, there is nothing you can do while you are gone. The best thing to do is to give as much information before 24 hour so that the cops can apprehend the criminal before he/she unloads your goods. I know a lot of people told you to get an alarm but it only takes a criminal 5 secs to grab something they want and get out even while an alarm is going off. I am 100% sure the responders will not be there in time before he/she vacates your property more than likely from your back yard.

- I am all for have a weapon for your family's protection but the thing is when you put a gun into the equation you have just esculated the situation to a whole new level. If you have never killed someone, you must consider that as an possible outcome and how it will affect everyone in your household. Next you must consider, what can happen to your family if you draw your weapon and the intruder draws theirs. Trust me. You won't have the time to think clearly as you do now. While in your mind you may be thinking of one outcome, you putting the intruder down, there are infinite amount of possibilities and you will not know which will occur.

- Remember that if someone breaks in while you are gone, it is more than likely a petty thief. If someone breaks in while you are home, there is a extremely huge chance they are armed and will harm your family if confronted.

I hope it all works out.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your situation. It has happened to me before as well and I was lucky enough to plan such incidents.

Here's a little advice I give to you FWIW:

-Contrary to what the media and others may say, drug problems are not the motive for breaking into someone's home. It's about quick cash and a need to survive. Someone saw potential valuable items in your home based on where you live and what they have seen either from empty electronic boxes in your garbage to the kind of car you drive. It was someone whom was poor and trying to survive. The items are stolen and sold for money to survive to pawn shops or people walking by on the streets.

- If I were you, I would check pawn shops in the nearby area for the jewelry that was stolen. Since it is jewelry, it will be easier to identify. My custom laptop was stolen and luckily enough the criminal decided to pawn it one city over at a popular pawn shop. I contacted the cops, provided proof of purchase, and got my laptop back. The criminal was apprehended because of the identification used to pawn my laptop.

- Invest in a network surveillance systems. Once someone breaks into your home, there is nothing you can do while you are gone. The best thing to do is to give as much information before 24 hour so that the cops can apprehend the criminal before he/she unloads your goods. I know a lot of people told you to get an alarm but it only takes a criminal 5 secs to grab something they want and get out even while an alarm is going off. I am 100% sure the responders will not be there in time before he/she vacates your property more than likely from your back yard.

- I am all for have a weapon for your family's protection but the thing is when you put a gun into the equation you have just esculated the situation to a whole new level. If you have never killed someone, you must consider that as an possible outcome and how it will affect everyone in your household. Next you must consider, what can happen to your family if you draw your weapon and the intruder draws theirs. Trust me. You won't have the time to think clearly as you do now. While in your mind you may be thinking of one outcome, you putting the intruder down, there are infinite amount of possibilities and you will not know which will occur.

- Remember that if someone breaks in while you are gone, it is more than likely a petty thief. If someone breaks in while you are home, there is a extremely huge chance they are armed and will harm your family if confronted.

I hope it all works out.

That is the case in some instances, absolutely, however, the guy the caught (the link I posted above), was an recovering drug addict. They found needles in his car. He was an uber driver. The police from multiple cities were following him - how long, I don't know. His routine, according to the police, was dropping his kids off at school at 7:30 AM, then driving on the highway into different towns, looking for places to rob.

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the case in some instances, absolutely, however, the guy the caught (the link I posted above), was an recovering drug addict. They found needles in his car. He was an uber driver. The police from multiple cities were following him - how long, I don't know. His routine, according to the police, was dropping his kids off at school at 7:30 AM, then driving on the highway into different towns, looking for places to rob.
Understood. But there is no way to link this guy with your goods. It would be easier to link this guy with the occurrences because he is an uber driver and your wife has used it (without him being her driver) before but there is still no connection to him and your household. It's either he isn't the person that did it or he has accomplices that work for uber as well. Did the cops particularly say they saw him staking out your home or homes in your neighborhood?

BrotherSheepDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry you had to endure this and I hope your family gets through this difficult time. Besides loosing your valuables you have lost your sense of security in your own home.

Home burglaries are fairly common now and Thiefs have become more brazen then ever. I have been in law enforcement for the last ten years. Not to downplay a already bad situation but catching burglars is the least priority of detectives who are overwhelmed with homicides and other cases. I would take this as a learning experience and try to figure out how to prevent this in the future. Thank god nobody was home at the time.

I know we can never 100% burglar proof our homes but there are some things we can do to deter. I have a ADT pulse system setup at my home with several outdoor and indoor cameras around the perimeter of my home. When I am not home the cameras detect motion and they email me immediately with 30 sec videos when something sets them off. I keep all my valuables in a nice safe. Make sure you know all your neighbors so yall can look out for each other. Having a firearm is nice but its best to keep it secure in safe when not on your person. Lastly most importantly is to come up a plan with a plan for your family. God forbid yall are home during a home invasion you have to execute a precise plan to get your family to safety and do what you need to do to neutralize the threat.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry you had to endure this and I hope your family gets through this difficult time. Besides loosing your valuables you have lost your sense of security in your own home.

Home burglaries are fairly common now and Thiefs have become more brazen then ever. I have been in law enforcement for the last ten years. Not to downplay a already bad situation but catching burglars is the least priority of detectives who are overwhelmed with homicides and other cases. I would take this as a learning experience and try to figure out how to prevent this in the future. Thank god nobody was home at the time.

I know we can never 100% burglar proof our homes but there are some things we can do to deter. I have a ADT pulse system setup at my home with several outdoor and indoor cameras around the perimeter of my home. When I am not home the cameras detect motion and they email me immediately with 30 sec videos when something sets them off. I keep all my valuables in a nice safe. Make sure you know all your neighbors so yall can look out for each other. Having a firearm is nice but its best to keep it secure in safe when not on your person. Lastly most importantly is to come up a plan with a plan for your family. God forbid yall are home during a home invasion you have to execute a precise plan to get your family to safety and do what you need to do to neutralize the threat.

The good thing is, we live in a very small, by urbanized town. They are taking these cases seriously. The only other problem here, like everywhere is drugs. No homicides, kidnappings etc..

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 31 40.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 39 51.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 7.9%
Back