My house got robbed tonight

Scottsquatch

Third times a charm?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's exactly who did it every single time there is a construction crew in my neighborhood things go missing with in a few days. Guaranteed it's the workers!!!
I'm a little offended that you would make such a broad generalization about "workers." I have worked construction in the past and I wouldn't have dreamed of taking something that wasn't mine. Not only that, but the crew I worked with were a really great bunch of guys. Maybe things are different up in northern Minnesota. Anyway, just something to consider.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1)There are easy ways to prevent a child from getting to a gun. Good luck waiting for the police if someone threatens your family with a gun and you don't have one...

2) a dog is a companion - and a deterrent. No down side there...

3) I have an alarm and just the alarm sign deters people - they've gone to my neighbors. My dogs watch the fort when I'm gone and nothing I have is that valuable to me in the house. I arm the alarm sometimes but forget a lot. My dogs and neighbors are close and we watch out for eachother.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little offended that you would make such a broad generalization about "workers." I have worked construction in the past and I wouldn't have dreamed of taking something that wasn't mine. Not only that, but the crew I worked with were a really great bunch of guys. Maybe things are different up in northern Minnesota. Anyway, just something to consider.

Yeah it could be that someone was attracted to the job site - new homes are commonly ripped off - and they decided to hit up your home next because they noticed you weren't home and didn't get what they wanted. That's my guess

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ever you do or don't , Please don't let your emotions dictate anything. IMO a dog is a unwise move as well as a Gun(are you willing to kill or risk a child hurting someone) Plus an alarm system that has monitoring is a waste of money. Improve you security in your Doors and windows. If they can't get in, you Will Not need anything else. Yes? Don't leave any door or window unlocked or Not secure enough to prevent a breach of your house. A secure Castle doesn't get broken into so easily. Hence a moat around a castle. (duel purpose). :cool::cool::cool: @Breakthecycle2

Why not a get a dog? That's not making any sense to me.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the back door is a sliding glass type you need more than factory lock. Doesn't work. A screwdriver gets you in. A simple 1X2" firring strip of wood between the inside door and the wall will solve you issue. Check local pawn shops in your area. I would bet the thiefs are kids.

No they were pros.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, potential good news. The detectives arrested someone last night, after the tried or broke into another home int he neighborhood. As of this afternoon, he hasn't said anything about my house. Apparently this guy has been wanted, as he has "did damage" all over this county.

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully they can link him to the robbery at your house! With any luck your items could still be in his possession.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully they can link him to the robbery at your house! With any luck your items could still be in his possession.

Thats what I told my wife. I doubt they could have dumped them off that quick, especially if they were still hitting houses in my neighborhood.

Matt144

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it could be that someone was attracted to the job site - new homes are commonly ripped off - and they decided to hit up your home next because they noticed you weren't home and didn't get what they wanted. That's my guess
This is much more why you guys are "getting robbed by construction guys" as the owner of a painting company I find it pretty offensive when people think hard working men WITH JOBS who are working to feed there families just as you do are somehow criminals.

andys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took my kid out to eat and when we got home, the back door was open, all our cats were out and all my wife's jewelry was gone, along with some of my daughters. Im so furious. We live in an "upper middle class" neighborhood too. The detectives were super cool, so we will see.
If you don't already have one get a GUN and get trained. learn how to us it. don't let scum bags ruin your life. be prepared

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is much more why you guys are "getting robbed by construction guys" as the owner of a painting company I find it pretty offensive when people think hard working men WITH JOBS who are working to feed there families just as you do are somehow criminals.

The police were the ones who suggested that in my case. They picked up someone around Christmas who broke into 4 houses in one night that was a construction worker. It happens a lot.

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't already have one get a GUN and get trained. learn how to us it. don't let scum bags ruin your life. be prepared
How would him owning a gun have changed anything? They got in while he was gone. They probably would have taken his gun too.

IMO, an alarm will deter most people.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not a get a dog? That's not making any sense to me.

Can't speak to the reasoning on the quote you referenced, but buying a dog soley as a reaction to what happened is probably not a good idea. They aren't like installing a security system and you can choose to use it, cancel it, etc.

Nothing wrong with getting a dog per se, its the daily care, training, Veterinary care, etc that comes along with it. If you didn't truly Want a dog to begin with, it's probably not the best idea.

Sorry about the break in. My mom was mugged in front of us when I was a kid, I stayed a week at my grandparents cause I was scared the guy had our house keys and my mom's DL. Glad its looking like they got someone

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I took my kid out to eat and when we got home, the back door was open, all our cats were out and all my wife's jewelry was gone, along with some of my daughters. Im so furious. We live in an "upper middle class" neighborhood too. The detectives were super cool, so we will see.

Man that really sucks. Glad no one was hurt and hope the police catch the robber and you get everything back. Home invasions ...just don't understand why some people are so pathetic to break into someone else's home and rob them. Just glad you and your family are okay .

andys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would him owning a gun have changed anything? They got in while he was gone. They probably would have taken his gun too.

IMO, an alarm will deter most people.
It could of very well happened while he was home. that is what i was referring
to. Thugs don't care. I'm in Cal and you could be accosted right on the street. Times have changed

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 24 51.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 3 6.4%
Back