My house got robbed tonight

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot someone threatening my family, I doubt many would.

Would we be bothered by it afterwards? I'm sure so. But I want to have that problem rather than worry about why my family was harmed and I wasn't able to protect them.

I hope none of that is ever needed.

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot someone threatening my family, I doubt many would.

Would we be bothered by it afterwards? I'm sure so. But I want to have that problem rather than worry about why my family was harmed and I wasn't able to protect them.

I hope none of that is ever needed.

In my profession, PTSD is a chronic issue which often leads to suicides as an end result. It changes a person completely.

Just be smart about it. Way the best options for your family. It is often better just to give up the materialistic things to live another day. Those can be replaced; a life can't.

BrotherSheepDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The good thing is, we live in a very small, by urbanized town. They are taking these cases seriously. The only other problem here, like everywhere is drugs. No homicides, kidnappings etc..
I am glad to know that and wish the best outcome for you and your family. God bless and stay safe brother.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my profession, PTSD is a chronic issue which often leads to suicides as an end result. It changes a person completely.

Just be smart about it. Way the best options for your family. It is often better just to give up the materialistic things to live another day. Those can be replaced; a life can't.

I wouldn't shoot someone over things. If you break in my home though I will assume my family is at risk. If you're running away carrying my stuff who cares it's only money.

I know all about PTSD. Not any fun.

blackgrouper79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i take offense to that being in the building trade myself. Can't get much work if people think you robbed them. No more referrals. Oops sorry is see you all ready apologized.
Exactly it's not the skilled guys and I should've said that I was just making a quick comment that should've been worded better. I really wasn't thinking that probably 1/2 or more of us "reefers" have a construction background lol oops. In the construction business you're working on word of mouth-- your reputation means everything (jobs or no jobs). It's the guys that are cheap and don't keep a full time crew by hiring guys (as needed) hanging out in front of the local home depot that give real construction workers a bad name. It's the guys that you don't know that are just on sight for the day that screw everyone when they come back and rob a neighbor (because they had all day to case things)--the whole crew looks bad and that's not fair but the boss man should've used better judgement in his hiring practices.

ironeagle2006

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is why I am so glad anymore I am I stay home 24 hours normally. If anyone ever breaks in my house well they are going to be facing a bear that is angry. Yeah they might be able to take me down however they are going to be needing the ER just as bad as I am when I am done. Sorry but I have been forced in the past to go toe to toe to defend property try being an OTR driver and having someone want to hijack your truck. Back in 99 hauling a load of Ice Cream someone tried to Hijack my butt in Ontario CA He got met with a Tire thumper between the eyes. He was not a happy camper when the Local PD arrested his but either. I still have my solid Hickory Tire Thumper that has a 3 inch piece of lead pipe on the end of it. Makes one heck of a club.

EricP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am next to you in Wood Ridge. This stuff is happening all over our area on a daily basis. Like I said in an earlier post, after we were robbed I went with cameras on my house. Alarms are ok but these guys don't care. They are in and out of your house in less than 90 seconds.

Eric.

Cayenne1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This subject is very serious today. I would recommend everyone investigate a surveillance system of some type if you feel at risk.

There are many DIY systems as well as professional companies that all want that monthly subscription. Alarms on doors/windows are the minimum that trip a horn to scare folks off. Add in motion sensors, but if you have dogs/cats it complicates their effectiveness. Technology today for video surveillance as well is very affordable. But, the security subscription folks add a lot for each camera. A hybrid approach with a monthly alarm subscription service with multiple DIY video cameras may be a good approach. You can set up one of the cameras pointed at your tank and view over the internet while on vacation as well.

Obtaining a weapon is a defensive last resort approach for a home invasion. Unless you know how to use a weapon and are trained and "willing" to use it, forget it. When a home invasion event occurs, you may be too parallelized to take sound action. From my Vietnam days, to kill people and have people killed around you is NOT where you want to be EVER. Here in Tennessee it is not uncommon for home invaders to meet their demise breaking into a home. But, a lot of folks here have grown up with guns and are not hesitant to use them. This fact has seen both pro and con outcomes of course.

Summary: Get an alarm system, augment with video, and have a visible sign in English and Spanish that states: "SMILE, Your on Camera"

timkenagy

~Unashamed 116~
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't shoot someone over things. If you break in my home though I will assume my family is at risk. If you're running away carrying my stuff who cares it's only money.

I know all about PTSD. Not any fun.

I do as well, not the military kind (can't even imagine) but I was panicked awoke to my home fully engulfed in flames. I flash back in panic to a ball of fire in my face all the time now. Dr. says its PTSD.. only military its gunfire... But I was able to get my family out safe.. Having said all that I'll take the panic every day for the rest of my life over losing one of them that day. If that makes sense.

wigwam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a home break in but I stopped a **** in the park. While running at night I heard some muffled screaming. I checked it out and it was a woman trying to scream but she was gaged. I pulled out my gun, the guy charged at me with a knife and I shot him twice. The **** was prevented from happening because of my interdiction. He survived and was convicted of 3 rapes total and one murder.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a home break in but I stopped a **** in the park. While running at night I heard some muffled screaming. I checked it out and it was a woman trying to scream but she was gaged. I pulled out my gun, the guy charged at me with a knife and I shot him twice. The **** was prevented from happening because of my interdiction. He survived and was convicted of 3 rapes total and one murder.
Good for you. This is the truth about law abiding gun owners. These types of stories do not make national news unfortunately.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do as well, not the military kind (can't even imagine) but I was panicked awoke to my home fully engulfed in flames. I flash back in panic to a ball of fire in my face all the time now. Dr. says its PTSD.. only military its gunfire... But I was able to get my family out safe.. Having said all that I'll take the panic every day for the rest of my life over losing one of them that day. If that makes sense.

I wasn't in the military either, mine come from a rough childhood. I've noticed though as time has gone on I have stopped having flashbacks for a year or more. I am blessed that it's nothing like it used to be. Our service men and women often come back with far worse PTSD.

nitrodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My parents house was robbed years ago. The thieves never got caught.
There was new construction going on behind their house and we are 99% sure it was them. The workers just watch the house. In a couple days theyve figured out your schedule and know you won't be home.
Most places get robbed in broad daylight when the house is empty.

I used to break into houses for a living (no i wasnt a thief i did property preservation and had to gain entry to reposesed houses and rekey them)
97% of the time, a door is unlocked, or a window is unlocked.
2% of the time its a basic door handle lock and we popped it in 2 seconds with a screw driver. Or it actually has a deadbolt but its not latched completely. IF YOU DONT COMPLETELY LOCK YOUR DEADBOLT ITS USELESS!!!
you need to turn the key til it clicks, otherwise a screw driver just slides the dead bolt back open.

Very very rarely we had to actually drill the deadbolt out because there wasnt another easy way in.
Make sure your doors and windows are locked people.

And if you don't spend the money on an alarm or cameras, get motion sensor lights and fake cameras in plain sight.
Even if they think theyre fake, itll usually turn a theif off of robbing your house.

One other thing for this long post.
Ive heard generally theives during the day, will knock on your front door to make sure no one is home, and check for a barking dog before trying to gain access.
Food for thought

wigwam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good for you. This is the truth about law abiding gun owners. These types of stories do not make national news unfortunately.
I never realized how many people used firearms in everyday self defense. Many times against people without a gun. So the gun becomes the equalizer.

To be honest I didn't carry to protect me or others from people. The only reason why I bought the gun to protect me and my dog from coyotes after a encounter we had while running in the woods. A few years ago we had an encounter with a coyote, nothing happened. The dog scared it away.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 24 42.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 28 50.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 4 7.1%
Back