OP
OP
S

Supramike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also went under the house and added some support. Now I'm just going to give it a leak test when I can get some help lifting this tank lol.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BB tanks are easier to keep detritus from building up in the display. I have a deep sand bed and it is pretty easy to maintain but DSBs scare people. They work on the principle of culturing anaerobic bacteria,(the ones that live in the absence of oxygen). Anaerobic bacteria can eliminate nitrates, however they must remain undisturbed so a DSB should be at least 4" deep. Some folks worry that old tank syndrome will happen with sulfurous material building up under the sand. I worked for a LFS and we put in many DSBs, some are 15 years old and working fine. My last tanks sand bed was 8 years old and when I tore it down the sand was just as fresh smelling as the ocean. In fact I reused it in my current tank hoping to reestablish a working DSB quicker. DSB are good for burrowing creatures but not the ones who will eat all the beneficial life in them. I have a pistol shrimp. Also I feel my rock work is safely anchored in it. Don't have to worry about a tumbling rock cracking the bottom. SSB are good if you want sandsifting gobies or sandsifting starfish. Some folks vacume them to keep detritus from building up in the sand.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BB tanks are easier to keep detritus from building up in the display. I have a deep sand bed and it is pretty easy to maintain but DSBs scare people. They work on the principle of culturing anaerobic bacteria,(the ones that live in the absence of oxygen). Anaerobic bacteria can eliminate nitrates, however they must remain undisturbed so a DSB should be at least 4" deep. Some folks worry that old tank syndrome will happen with sulfurous material building up under the sand. I worked for a LFS and we put in many DSBs, some are 15 years old and working fine. My last tanks sand bed was 8 years old and when I tore it down the sand was just as fresh smelling as the ocean. In fact I reused it in my current tank hoping to reestablish a working DSB quicker. DSB are good for burrowing creatures but not the ones who will eat all the beneficial life in them. I have a pistol shrimp. Also I feel my rock work is safely anchored in it. Don't have to worry about a tumbling rock cracking the bottom. SSB are good if you want sandsifting gobies or sandsifting starfish. Some folks vacume them to keep detritus from building up in the sand.

I forgot to mention that bb tanks are good if you want to run a low nutrient system.

OP
OP
S

Supramike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CDB5F322-3209-43F9-8228-4BD14892325D.jpg

Just filled it up to test for leaks and she purrs like a kitten lol. No noise and so far no leaks I'll let it run for most of the day just to be on the safe side. I do have a problem with the level though. I tried shims under the legs but that didn't help any when the tank settled it came off level.

OP
OP
S

Supramike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3A0BD68E-EA47-4451-95C1-8ED239FF936D.jpg

Just finished the acid bath and a good scrub. Now I'm going to let them sit in a tub of water and baking soda for a day or so then to the pressure washer.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming along nicely!! :)

OP
OP
S

Supramike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little aqua scapeing the rocks on the left and right are huge and weigh like 50lbs each.
6CA7B307-E926-495A-B8BA-034E47322A74.jpg

OP
OP
S

Supramike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow this is a stunning show piece of rock, very nice!!
Thank you it's a few pices put together I have to epoxy a few pices so it doesn't fall apart but it's huge I'll get more pics of it tomorrow. The other pice is a huge show pice too one solid pice I'll try to get some better pics of it too.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back