Petco Fish?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just went to Petco and saw this for $39.99
Have $5 off and 20% so about $30 after tax.
Should I get it?
IMG_3909.jpeg
Looks to be in good condition, but I personally wouldn’t get coral out of any of my petco tanks unless I’m qt’ing coral. Basically asking to bring ich (or worse) with it.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do you turn off the auto renew? I bought my biocube 32 from them and signed up at the time and saved an incredible amount of money from them on that first sale. buy cat and dog food from them time to time as well as misc supplies. But need to down size all these auto events on the credit cards.
Go to: https://www.petco.com/shop/PetcoMyM...0151&langId=-1&myAccountActivePage=myCoreCare

That will list your memberships and you can modify it and disable auto renew. Its worth keeping until the change in June.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JEZ that is quite a lot of ups and downs for me to deal with. What kind of clowns? Interested because I have heard some are more ferocious than others especially as they get some size and start hosting. I have had mine for a little over a year and they don't host and don't mind you being in the tank but I am wondering if that will change. Also about to go research a scorpionfish, never heard of that.
Get any of the ocellaris clowns. They are not nearly as aggressive. The most aggressive are any in the Maroon or Clarkii families. Tomato's are bad as well. I have many tanks and had decided to get a pair of clowns in each tank and wanted different clowns in each tank. I eventually got rid of the maroons. I still have 3 Spotcintus clowns (Calrkii) and a pair of stripeless tomato's and man they are so freaking aggressive. The Spotcintus have killed more fish and any others I have had.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OTReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to be crazy, but I'm here for it.

I was cruising Facebook and went on a post of a 50% sale on Petcos livestock and shipped out of their wholesaler. Lots of duels in the comments, and one person ordered one and it came dead and he got the option of a refund or new fish. After lots of thought and watching others roll the dice, I also rolled the die. Will be receiving a medium Purple Tang from Petco in a few days. Might be one of my biggest mistakes, but I have a 20-gallon QT that has been up, in the process of pulling the copper out with a full 20-gallon water change. Will continue posting on this thread with pictures of the shipping box, the state it came in and, alot more just for others who want the dream fish like me, but don't want to break the bank. I mean $125 for a 2.25-3.25in Purple Tang... Come on now. If you have any experience with doing what I am doing good or bad please share to either get me excited or regretting all my decisions lol
The manager at the local petco here is great. He’s hooked me up with some sweet frags out of his home aquarium and has been a wealth of knowledge. He also turned me onto the sale and the damsels and flametail are great and showed up in perfect health. I think “rolling the dice” is the perfect analogy as last time I ordered online from them my aiptasia eating file showed up doa.

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never ordered from petco online for fish. Can't comment there.
ALL and I mean all my fish and 90% of my coral is from my local petco.
I have a great local store with a great manager now.
I've never had a problem with anything. I have a very small,local store with very little turnover. Sometimes the fish stay there a long long time and I'm sure that makes a difference.
Never judge a book by its cover.
@steveschuerger your stuff looks incredible.

rstaten11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to be crazy, but I'm here for it.

I was cruising Facebook and went on a post of a 50% sale on Petcos livestock and shipped out of their wholesaler. Lots of duels in the comments, and one person ordered one and it came dead and he got the option of a refund or new fish. After lots of thought and watching others roll the dice, I also rolled the die. Will be receiving a medium Purple Tang from Petco in a few days. Might be one of my biggest mistakes, but I have a 20-gallon QT that has been up, in the process of pulling the copper out with a full 20-gallon water change. Will continue posting on this thread with pictures of the shipping box, the state it came in and, alot more just for others who want the dream fish like me, but don't want to break the bank. I mean $125 for a 2.25-3.25in Purple Tang... Come on now. If you have any experience with doing what I am doing good or bad please share to either get me excited or regretting all my decisions lol
Well just got mine two days ago order a hippo tang for like 30 bucks an a couple cardinals an a Dottie back for under 100 bucks they all look good an still alive an nothing weird they came from came from San Diego but the paperwork said New Jersey I thought that was kinda weird but heck I order them and 2 days later they was at my house it went a lot smoother then a lot of other places I order some corals almost a month ago an finally got them today!! I’m not gonna say no names if I pay 30 buck for over nite an have to wait a month!! Come on !!

Attachments

• IMG_1424.jpeg
    IMG_1424.jpeg
    226.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1422.jpeg
    IMG_1422.jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 33

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Petco has a large clean saltwater section, that seem to have staff ther care. They sold coral, inverts and popular fish. I was new to SW but the couple folks in the SW area appeared to be knowledgable (idk).

My first 3 fish were from there (2 clowns and a gramma), and are still alive and kickin. No QT, just acclimated and dropped in.

I think it varies store by store on how they manage.

Since then, I found a LFS I trust, and use that + online for livestock. But my experience with Petco was fine. Maybe just got lucky.

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20231201_193608.jpg

My 3 petco guys. Tang is 10.
Zoas started as 4 polyps.
Coral beauty is 8.
20231201_193436.jpg

Other tank of petco.
Clown is 10, everything else I got 4 free (except shrooms.)
LTA is 4 and I paid $10 for him.
Just never know do ya.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on my petco order—the cardinalfish passed away. It didn’t seem very healthy upon arrival, so I’m not too surprised. This wasn’t the best results that I’ve had with a petco order, but that’s not to say it’s always terrible. I think that shipping fish in the winter as well as possibly a not-so-great batch were potential factors. The Hawkfish, blenny, and puffers are still in extraordinary shape, though, and I’m fairly confident they’ll continue to do well.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until seeing this thread I didn’t know PetCo was doing a 50% off sale and I couldn’t resist. I just placed an order for a Anthias and 4 wrasses and my total was $140 with free shipping.
I've got some stuff in a cart and not sure if I want to pull the trigger yet.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. I get an extra 20% off which makes it a great deal. I've got 6 fish in my cart including a mystery wrasse and it is still less than if I was just to buy a mystery wrasse locally.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent probably a few hours trying to decide what fish I wanted that were still available. While trying to decide if I wanted to place an order one of the fish in my cart sold out, so that’s what convinced me to actually place the order.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too had to rethink my whole order because the dusky was gone. Ended up with a male and 2 female anthias and a blue side wrasse. Should have gotten more anthias and a clam for that price but had to keep it under 100.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sent from their wholesaler much different than sent from their store. I know they used to use Segrest Farms but not sure these days. I'd be less concerned with from their wholesalers. Did receive two Domino Damsels back around Christmas 2021 that just died this week due to a filter malfunction. No issues and never went through QT since it was for an experimental tank. Wouldn't be concerned getting more from them so long as from their distributor and not from one of their stores. No clue how that particular store is managed.

Beefyreefy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I frequent my local petco, the manager does a pretty good job and does care. Coral is not spectacular but they often have really good deals on fish. Another nice thing is if they have had a fish for a while they will give me a discount to move it out. To be perfectly honest I’ve had great luck with their fish. I might get hate here but I don’t QT either. I feed high quality foods and have a healthy display tank. If the fish looks healthy and is eating they always survive for me. I acclimate and then keep the fish in an isolation box for a bit and then when I’m confident the fish is ok they are released! Not advice here YMMV.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back