OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although we've watch the 4 videos full assembly is not clear. Can you post step by step assembly instructions so we know exactly when and where we are to glue and silicon?
I will try to get to this tomorrow. We are slammed with big tanks.

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is waht has been keeping me off the streets. The canopies are now finalized. At least this version. 12/18/24 inch heights. This version is for a peninsula going through this week. What is not shown are the black polycarbonate light blocking lids sitting on the top.
IMG_0055.jpeg
IMG_0054.jpeg

yanetterer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have been a little busy. Yes. You will need silicone. I would be very surprised if anyone except maybe @Jim Gomoll can put these together leak free without silicone. The tank is designed for silicone sealing. Before the bottom and top are attached with solvent, apply silicone to all of the seams with the exception of the front panel seams. You can do this from the bottom. The design is such that all of the silicone seals will be hidden. Do not skip this step.
Any recommendations for the type of silicone to use?

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recommendations for the type of silicone to use?
Since you're not using it to bond/support, more as a secondary seal, you can likely use any aquarium silicone. If it was to bond, I'd recommend Momentive RTV108 or similar.

yanetterer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, any concerns about the mold/mildew inhibitors in the Gorilla Glue?
USER BEWARE Oh Darn!!! Thanks for the catch
Went off 100% silicon stated on tube front even though it said mold and mildew resistant due to post reads
noting that 100% silicon was safe and they are mold, mildew resistant.
Totally missing the not for underwater use, aquariums...
On flip side some post state as long as it cured a long time it should be safe.
Most likely I'll see what I can cut off and redo seams with reef safe silicone. Cycle restart...:(

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for your patience. The last of the kits shipped yesterday. Is there anyone who would like to give a silicone only build a shot? It will work very nicely but for some reason, it does not, I will replace your kit. There is a lot of misinformation out there and especially on this forum, about how acrylic cannot be bonded with silicone. Silicone can be used as an adhesive, sealant or both. Using it as an adhesive with acrylic does have limitations but for small builds such as this and for sumps, OF's media caddies and similar, it is perfectly suitable if not even preferred. For large tanks and long seams, not advised. I desigened this tank for silicone or solvent assembly. The only seams that matter are the viewing panel on the far end. And silicone on those would be perfectly acceptable. Just use toothpicks instead of wire and stay away from them as you silicone the seams. Then go back and pull the toothpicks and fill with silicone. DO NOT press the panels together. Somebody please give it a try. And NO NO NO, acryrlic does not swell up like a kitchen sponge when exposed to water. Yet another myth. Pro Tip: clean the surfaces with IPA before applying the silicone.

Onward.

The next DIY will be an UNBREAKABLE sump. Stay for more after I see some of these kits up and running with water in them.

Below is an image of a gift to you. These are not for sale. Use them with coffee, tea, beer, pickle juice or whatever else you enjoy. They are cleverly designed for both left and right hand use. Anecdotal evidence supports
mug3.jpg
claims that continued use will make you smarter and socially charming.

All the best.

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for your patience. The last of the kits shipped yesterday. Is there anyone who would like to give a silicone only build a shot? It will work very nicely but for some reason, it does not, I will replace your kit. There is a lot of misinformation out there and especially on this forum, about how acrylic cannot be bonded with silicone. Silicone can be used as an adhesive, sealant or both. Using it as an adhesive with acrylic does have limitations but for small builds such as this and for sumps, OF's media caddies and similar, it is perfectly suitable if not even preferred. For large tanks and long seams, not advised. I desigened this tank for silicone or solvent assembly. The only seams that matter are the viewing panel on the far end. And silicone on those would be perfectly acceptable. Just use toothpicks instead of wire and stay away from them as you silicone the seams. Then go back and pull the toothpicks and fill with silicone. DO NOT press the panels together. Somebody please give it a try. And NO NO NO, acryrlic does not swell up like a kitchen sponge when exposed to water. Yet another myth. Pro Tip: clean the surfaces with IPA before applying the silicone.

Onward.

The next DIY will be an UNBREAKABLE sump. Stay for more after I see some of these kits up and running with water in them.

Below is an image of a gift to you. These are not for sale. Use them with coffee, tea, beer, pickle juice or whatever else you enjoy. They are cleverly designed for both left and right hand use. Anecdotal evidence supports
mug3.jpg

All the best.
If there’s an option for a 36” or even better 48” sump, I’ll be first in line!!!

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Onward.

mug3.jpg

All the best.
Interested in sump and all silicone build. Coffee cup is sweet!

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those doing some silicone work I found this interesting and helpful.

Different silicon's for Acrylic from temporary to medium to good bond.
Sand surface for better hold.
#1 Gorilla, #2 Marineland, #3 Do It Best brands for best hold.

Back on page 13 Post #248 I shared a video on different silicone types and holding strength.
DO NOT use GORILLA brand 100% silicone. NOT REEF SAFE

I used it on my AIO baffle seams for the Pico DIY build. Totally missed the statement on tube that it is mold & mildew resistant and not for underwater applications, aquariums. Figured being 100% silicon like GE1 and others this would be reef safe. Well it is not.
Cutting off this silicone and resealing with reef safe brand. Back to the beginning to restart cycle after it cures :(

Reached out to manufacturer.
Thank you for contacting The Gorilla Glue Company. We appreciate your interest in our company and products.
We would not recommend Gorilla Glue Caulk and Seal for your aquarium that as it is not recommended for constant submersion. It IS mildew and mold resistant by design. We would recommend reaching out to the manufacturer of the aquarium for their recommendation.

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody attempted this beast yet? I'm probably going to give it a shot this weekend.

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody attempted this beast yet? I'm probably going to give it a shot this weekend.
Built Chair so far. On hold until I get some 1/8" acrylic sheet to make couple custom baffles and media caddy.
Thought of trying the silicone build... but want this to stay together so Weldon baby!

Good Luck Building :)

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 112 74.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%

Back