Treating for ich but still spots, need help

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok sounds like a plan. I'll get started on it tomorrow night. I have everything except the furan 2 but I'll get it. Since one bath apparently didn't work last time should I follow up with additional baths just to be safe? Also, I used vinegar last time to sterilize, is that still good?

Since you can't let it dry for several days, lets go with bleach this time. Use a hair drying, fan or something similar to speed the drying process. Additional baths are always a concern with brook. It may be needed. Let's take it one step at a time though and see if you can get this licked.

OP
OP
Jberge

Jberge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you can't let it dry for several days, lets go with bleach this time. Use a hair drying, fan or something similar to speed the drying process. Additional baths are always a concern with brook. It may be needed. Let's take it one step at a time though and see if you can get this licked.
Ok. Thank you. I'll give an update after the bath tomorrow

OP
OP
Jberge

Jberge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After almost 4 hrs everyone is back in the qt. I scrubbed everything with bleach while the fish were in a 5g bucket and the formalin was being aerated. This gave me plenty of time for everything to dry and set up again before the treatment was over. A hair dryer helped too. I moved the coral qt to opposite side of the room (about 10-12ft away) before bringing back the sterilized qt. I soaked a new sponge with some stability for about an hr to see if that helps the bio filter. The ammonia badge had read 0 for the first time the day I noticed this new problem. I guess I'll just be doing wc's til the end if I have to. Anyway, I moved the fish back in and dosed with metroplex and kanaplex. The furan 2 will be here tomorrow. Thanks again for the help Meredith! I'll check back tomorrow with an update.

OP
OP
Jberge

Jberge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is unbelievable but both clowns look like they're 100% clear. I don't see any spots on either of them and the little guys fins look almost normal now too. I know last time it took about 4 weeks for something to show up again after the bath so idk if I should follow up with another just to be safe. Although this time using bleach instead of vinegar to sterilize with I feel much more comfortable about. I'd just hate to have something pop up again in a few weeks once they're back in the dt. Fallow is over may 2

OP
OP
Jberge

Jberge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clowns still look good but I'm paranoid now. Do you guys think another formalin bath is a good idea? I'm leaning towards yes and thinking that I could start going with my gut thanks to all the help on here.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clowns still look good but I'm paranoid now. Do you guys think another formalin bath is a good idea? I'm leaning towards yes and thinking that I could start going with my gut thanks to all the help on here.

Formalin is pretty effective at clearing surface parasites & worms, provided you transfer the fish into a new/sterile QT afterwards.

If you are still worried about brook you could dose metronidazole in the QT as an insurance policy.

OP
OP
Jberge

Jberge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Formalin is pretty effective at clearing surface parasites & worms, provided you transfer the fish into a new/sterile QT afterwards.

If you are still worried about brook you could dose metronidazole in the QT as an insurance policy.
So are you saying the formalin could be effective after only one bath? I'm only hesitant because I went through this a month ago and it reappeared but I'm doubting how sterile the qt was that time using vinegar instead of bleach. I dosed metroplex right after the bath. So if I don't see any signs of the brook now I should leave things alone?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are you saying the formalin could be effective after only one bath? I'm only hesitant because I went through this a month ago and it reappeared but I'm doubting how sterile the qt was that time using vinegar instead of bleach. I dosed metroplex right after the bath. So if I don't see any signs of the brook now I should leave things alone?

Formalin often knocks out brook after just one bath. If your clownfish look clear, I would leave well enough alone. ;)

OP
OP
Jberge

Jberge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Formalin often knocks out brook after just one bath. If your clownfish look clear, I would leave well enough alone. ;)
I have a question. How do I stop brook from entering my dt with new fish in the future? I know common qt treatments would only include prazipro and cupramine.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question. How do I stop brook from entering my dt with new fish in the future? I know common qt treatments would only include prazipro and cupramine.

I would only prophylactically treat for brook on clownfish or fish that have come from a system that has been known to have brook in it. In that case a formalin or acrilfavin dip would probably be good enough, but continued observation for evidence of brook would be needed afterward to determine if another bath and/or metroplex is needed.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back