Trying Out Dad's Other Hobby. What Does Everyone Else Do For Fun?

PJS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a carpenter by trade so I love building just about anything. I particularly enjoy building custom stuff like furniture and nick nack stuff out of reclaimed barn wood. Here are some other hobbys I use to or still enjoy....

Use to be some of this...it's hell gettin' old..lol

Picture 976.jpg

Every once in a while some of this...

DSC02038.JPG

A whole lot of this...

Wanee 2013 158.jpg

I also love doing fused glass...

Glass.jpg

I like to "paint with light".....

Wanee 2013 098.jpg

To me it looks like a little devil man riding a bull, spooky....

DSC02282.JPG

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is that an actual thing? I mean, I know it is a picture of it, but it seems like something like blindfold ski jumping or chumming the Amazon before a skinny dipping sesh, which while technically can be done, the learning curve is too steep to justify the effort.

PJS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that an actual thing? I mean, I know it is a picture of it, but it seems like something like blindfold ski jumping or chumming the Amazon before a skinny dipping sesh, which while technically can be done, the learning curve is too steep to justify the effort.
:)Lol...it is a real thing....that's my head where my bottom should be. I started riding at 19 and quit at about 34, I was completely addicted to it, much like my addiction to my reef...ha ha.
I like adventures but I think chumming the Amazon before a birthday suit swim would be pushing my envelope. ;)

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:)Lol...it is a real thing....that's my head where my bottom should be. I started riding at 19 and quit at about 34, I was completely addicted to it, much like my addiction to my reef...ha ha.
I like adventures but I think chumming the Amazon before a birthday suit swim would be pushing my envelope. ;)

You definitely set the bar high for impressing the ladies on that lake, man. It's probably you, the old guy on the Dos Equis commercials and a bunch of guys that are still wearing halo braces that have pulled off the old break dancing on a Seadoo maneuver. Props!

PJS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You definitely set the bar high for impressing the ladies on that lake, man. It's probably you, the old guy on the Dos Equis commercials and a bunch of guys that are still wearing halo braces that have pulled off the old break dancing on a Seadoo maneuver. Props!
Ha ha... Good one! Thanks for the love Willz!

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a carpenter by trade so I love building just about anything. I particularly enjoy building custom stuff like furniture and nick nack stuff out of reclaimed barn wood. Here are some other hobbys I use to or still enjoy....

Use to be some of this...it's hell gettin' old..lol

Picture 976.jpg

Every once in a while some of this...

DSC02038.JPG

A whole lot of this...

Wanee 2013 158.jpg

I also love doing fused glass...

Glass.jpg

I like to "paint with light".....

Wanee 2013 098.jpg

To me it looks like a little devil man riding a bull, spooky....

DSC02282.JPG
That is a bunch of sweet looking stuff! Couple questions.
1. Where were you hiking in that picture?
2. Fused glass being actually melting glass together? There's something about watching someone work with glass that I find fascinating...

PJS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a bunch of sweet looking stuff! Couple questions.
1. Where were you hiking in that picture?
2. Fused glass being actually melting glass together? There's something about watching someone work with glass that I find fascinating...

Thank you, I'm glad you like them!
That hike is the West Rim Trail at Zion National Park. We did the 2 day hike from Lava Point down into the valley. Zion is an amazing place...a place I never getting tired of going to! 6 months from now I'll be making another visit...woo hoo! Check out this link on the WRT

http://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/westrimtrail.cfm

Yes sir, Fusing glass is melting it together. A bare bones description: There are a few different levels of 'fusion' per say. With lower heat and time you can Tack Fuse pieces together, they don't lose shape, it rounds the edges and fuses them together. The higher the heat at longer periods fully melts the glass together.
I really enjoy doing it, the creative juices get to flowing and time can really pass by! A friend of mine who got me started also blows glass which absolutely amazes me, such a talent!

PJS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
McIntosh MC275 Tube Amp:

IMG_0941.JPG

62' McIntosh MX110 Tube Preamp and Receiver:

IMG_0942.JPG

'74 JVC QF-Y55 with a '74 Audiotechnica AT20SLA cartridge:

IMG_0943.JPG

'89 Klipsch Chorus II Speakers rebuilt tweets and mid-range tweets:

IMG_0947.JPG [/QUOTE]

Now those are just plain sexy! Can I say that on here? I hope so... I just did :D

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, the McIntosh! Sweet sound like nothing else. Tubes warm the tones. Awesome!

If you are ever looking for a vintage set up refurbished to factory specs at a huge discount compared to the new stuff give audioclassics.com a shot. The are in the same town as McIntosh and have Pros rebuilding them.

PJS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SteveSTL

458712_10152762071844255_8300004448423848831_o.jpg

DROOLING!!

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I'm glad you like them!
That hike is the West Rim Trail at Zion National Park. We did the 2 day hike from Lava Point down into the valley. Zion is an amazing place...a place I never getting tired of going to! 6 months from now I'll be making another visit...woo hoo! Check out this link on the WRT

http://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/westrimtrail.cfm

Yes sir, Fusing glass is melting it together. A bare bones description: There are a few different levels of 'fusion' per say. With lower heat and time you can Tack Fuse pieces together, they don't lose shape, it rounds the edges and fuses them together. The higher the heat at longer periods fully melts the glass together.
I really enjoy doing it, the creative juices get to flowing and time can really pass by! A friend of mine who got me started also blows glass which absolutely amazes me, such a talent!
Very nice! I'm actually from Utah and now very jealous of you! It's not at the same level as the other stuff you're doing, but one of the cooler day hikes we did was Blue John Canyon, I'm sure you're familiar :), and would highly recommend doing it if you haven't already.

That is some pretty cool stuff. Some of the stuff that you see people make is crazy. Something I would definitely like to try!

PJS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! I'm actually from Utah and now very jealous of you! It's not at the same level as the other stuff you're doing, but one of the cooler day hikes we did was Blue John Canyon, I'm sure you're familiar :), and would highly recommend doing it if you haven't already.

That is some pretty cool stuff. Some of the stuff that you see people make is crazy. Something I would definitely like to try!

I love that whole area, some great hikes, Spookie, Peekaboo, Blue John, Canyonlands NP! There are some amazing slot canyons throughout there!

You should give it a try, it's very relaxing. There may be some classes near you you could take.

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clay pigeon shooting - I keep meaning to join the organisation to enter shooting competitions because the others I know don't want to shoot with me no more because I'm to good :( but I just have fun and never worried about my score.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 105 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back