Some blastos and mixed zoas we’ve had going for awhile:
Mixed blastos by ..:.. EZ ..:.., on Flickr

Happy to see this one growing again since we moved it to the new tank:
RR USA Underwater Wonder by ..:.. EZ ..:.., on Flickr

This branching marble colored bubble is pretty wild:
Marble Branching Bubble by ..:.. EZ ..:.., on Flickr

Some new branching hammers:
Splatter & Yellow Branching Hammers by ..:.. EZ ..:.., on Flickr

There are a few projects on the docket for this weekend: First, we’re going to get the second half of the aquascape in the tank and another round of sand. Second, we’ll be remounting corals to the new aquascape, which is going to be a laborious project. Third, cleaning more sand. Fourth, dipping some zoas (in liquid chemiclean per recommendations at MACNA) that aren’t looking so hot. And, finally, starting to organize the quarantine tanks.

The frag tank was plumbed two weeks ago and has been cycling since 8/28/14. I went with my usual method for cycling – raw shrimp in the tank for 3-4 days and running the tank without lights. Because I had some one hand, I’ve also been adding Microbacter7 per instructions to start a culture. I’m not seeing an accelerated cycle but that not why I did it; I just wanted to get a good mix of bacteria in there to start this thing off. I don’t plan on running MB7 in the frag tank or the main display long-term.

We got a new Hanna Phospate (ultra low – HI-736) checker the other week because I was fed up with the Red Sea phosphate test kit. I’m similarly unhappy with the Red Sea nitrate test kit so I’ll have to suck it up and replace that soon too. Phosphates tested at 0.046ppm.

Alk was running a little lower than normal (7.3 dKh) so that was bumped up a bit and calcium was a little higher than normal (460, salifert; 475 red sea) so I’ve taken the doser off-line for 36hrs. Mg was at 1400. I’ve seen best results around 7.7-8.1 dKh, 420-440 cal, 1400 mg; so that’s where I try to keep things. The massive water changes during the tank transfer really threw things off so it’s been a gradual process getting them back in-line.

The corals have been reacting well to the photoperiod and intensities. Here’s a graph for other Hydra52/26 users:

9.2.14 Light cycle by ..:.. EZ ..:.., on Flickr

Thanks for checking in!
- Z

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
prsnlty, thank you! It's bit rough after traveling in that picture but I'm hopeful that it will turn into a stunner. Thanks for stopping in.

I took video last night as the lights were dimming down on the ADA. It's really something else to view the fluorescence in person. This is my first video with some new software so go easy on me.

[video=youtube_share;CqPlJHqQNOs]http://youtu.be/CqPlJHqQNOs[/video]

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loved the video, it was well done! What software do you use? I can't wait to have my new 180 to be ready to add all my coral back in....

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks prsnlty! Powerdirector 12, which isn't that hard to use but I do need to figure out some more basics.

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The male rhomboid wrasse is settling into his new home (actually, so is his mate but I haven't gotten a good picture of both of them together). I'm having a blast watching this new fish; so graceful.

Rhomboid on the Reef by ..:.. EZ ..:.., on Flickr

I've read of plate corals doing this in the wild (and in our aquariums) but I hadn't seen them really inflate like this in person. This shot was from this morning while lights were off -- about 2-3x bigger than normal:
Puffy Plate Corals by ..:.. EZ ..:.., on Flickr

Happy Monday!

DO NOT PM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohhhh rhomboid how I love thy. Top 5 fish for me for sure, certainly favorite wrasse. Looks like a fine specimen too.

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank! I must say you cam skills are great! I loved the video and the pic of the rhomboid wrasse! He looks like he is glowing. So cool

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new Rhomboid pair and great shot of the male... one of our favorite fairy wrasses!

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, amazing pics!

Great tank! I must say you cam skills are great! I loved the video and the pic of the rhomboid wrasse! He looks like he is glowing. So cool

Congrats on the new Rhomboid pair and great shot of the male... one of our favorite fairy wrasses!

beautiful corals! I thought your video rocked!

Thank you all so much! Your words are very encouraging!

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made a decision on skimmers this afternoon.

I don't think I previously mentioned it, but I had been running an ATB 840v2 on my old 150g system. That skimmer was used for a few weeks during the transition until a friend and I switched skimmers. He had an ATB Elegance 200 Pro on a 60g system that only skimming intermittently. Since the beginning of August, I've been running just one ATB Elegance 200 Pro (rated to 300g-ish). I've been planning on running two skimmers the whole time since I have a big footprint in the under-tank sump but I don't have a lot of headroom (31"). I was also limited on what I could fit through the gap between the top of my sump and the top of the stand: at best, I could have gotten a 10.5" diameter skimmer in there. I started looking at needlewheels since I had previously ran them with success -- in particular Reef Octopus, Reef Dynamic, Skimz and Vertex all seemed nice. Then I started looking at other options besides needlewheels. I came across some threads about "Lifereef" skimmers and all of the users were raving about them.

After reading Lifereef's website, multiple threads, watching youtube videos and exchanging PMs with a local guy running one, I called them up. Jeff, the owner who also happens to be the manufacturer and customer and tech support (yep, one man shop!), and I spoke for over an hour about his design and my system. I ended up ordering the SVS3-30 model with a slightly modified cup to ensure I have enough room to remove it. He literally hung up the phone and started making my modified skimmer cup -- it ships tomorrow! :)

The plan is to run the Lifereef and the ATB side-by-side. I should get a good feel for which one performs best. Assuming they're equal, I'll keep running both and run the ATB "wet" (since that's really what it does best anyway) and the Lifereef however it wants to run. If the ATB is clearly slouching in comparison to the Lifereef, I'll add another Lifereef and remove the ATB. I have a Waveline DC12000 on hand that I think would work perfectly as a feed for 2 SVS3-30s. We'll see.

I'm still not sure which pump I'll put on the single Lifereef when it comes in. I have several back up pumps, pumps from old builds, etc. The potential list includes: the previously mentioned Waveline DC12000, a Reef Octopus DC5500, or an Eheim 1262. A friend has a Laguna 1350 that he said I could try out too. There might be a little trial-and-error but really, any pump that pushes between 900-1200 gph should be sufficient. That also happens to match the flow though that portion of the sump.

Noise always plays a big factor in my decision, which is why I liked this option. According to Jeff and owners of his skimmers, they're as silent as the pump you put on them. I like that. I know my Reef Octo DC5500 is silent. I know the Waveline DC12000 is silent. So this should be a good match. I'm looking forward to the comparison and I'll be sure to share my results.

Last edited:

DO NOT PM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Joel! So, I hesitated on the Hydra26s at MACNA, but I think I found my solution for extending the cords so that I can hang them properly: DC Power Extension Cable 5m length with 2.5mm plug | JR8307-5M (JR83075M) | Distributed By MCM. Hopefully they work because I also ordered 4xHydra26s, the rails and hanging kits. :wink: Should be here at the end of the week -- going to be a busy weekend!

I sent your link to our main R&D engineer, he said it "is not recommended". I don't think you will do any harm, but if you have erratic behavior like lights shutting off for no reason it is likely the cause. Its really thin gauge at only 26awg.

Total side note: Do you have location where you post all your photos?

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh, if the gauge of the wire will be an issue, I'll see if I can find something like 20 or 18. When I asked your guys, I only asked for the measurements on the DC plug, not for a recommendation on a gauge. Make completely wireless lights already! :)

I started using flickr about a year ago, much higher quality rendering than photobucket (where I have many other pictures stored): https://www.flickr.com/photos/zibba

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Did you get that blasto at MACNA? It was fun meeting you down there.

Thanks! Yeah, that one came from Unique Corals' booth.

Fun to you meet you too! Did you end up getting that aquarium home safe? Sorry I bolted midway through the raffle, as you can see, I had to go pick up the rhomboids as everyone was breaking down.

See you in DC next year?

ingtar_shinowa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably won't make DC, yeah the tank made it home ok. Hunter and Matt helped us get it loaded into a Prius it was pretty tight but it fit! Great looking fish glad they traveled well for you.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 31 21.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 105 72.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.2%
Back