DIY Stands, magnetic doors and child proofing

Gopi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping to build 2 stands over my holiday break. One will be for a JBJ rimless 45 and to accommodate a 75/90 I hope to own. Of course, I have neither of those tanks currently. My 55 is on one of the particle board stands and it just isn't holding up well to the salt and the JBJ will be purchased after there is a stand to put it on.

I was thinking a single large door for the JBJ and the 75 or 90 would have 2 front doors and a side door for sump access. I absolutely love the idea of using magnets to attach the doors so they can be out of the way for maintenance. However, I'd also like to be able to child proof the stand. We don't currently have children but I'd like to plan for them just in case. Is this possible with the magnet doors or will I need to use hinges and handles? If I need to go hinges, any suggestions on materials that won't corrode?

OP
OP
Gopi

Gopi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! Thanks. I think those could easily be added on if needed.

4sided cube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll post what I did. Was tired of the corrosion of hinges and even the screws that held them in so I used machined stainless pieces called "stand-offs" which are used in the sign biz. My doors are made of another sign-biz item called aluma-core (can you tell what business I'm in?) which is a lightweight painted aluminum bonded to a plastic center. Very flat, very light, cheap, and strong. I used a u-channel plastic to border all the edges. The door panels simply hang on the "stand-offs" and gravity holds them there perfectly. I mounted the stand-offs and corresponding holes in the panels consistently so as any door will fit any mounting spot on the frame. Very simple, looks fantastic, and will never corrode. I went further and wrapped the panels in carbon-fiber vinyl to match my light cradle. Wouldn't call it child-proof but not obvious how to open because there are no handles whatsoever.

Attachments

• tank doors.jpg
    tank doors.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 1,353
Last edited:
OP
OP
Gopi

Gopi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a feeling you're in the sign business. That's a very clean looking stand!

Thunderfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking but, that style would not go with anything in our house so the wife would put an end to that pretty quick. Mine had to be wood or distressed wood looking. I used all deck screws and my magnets I am using are mostly plastic so don't think corrosion will be an issue before I am ready to upgrade. To bad because I do allot of work for sign companies and could probably get all the stuff to build it for free.

OP
OP
Gopi

Gopi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its always the spouse, isn't it? My hubby hates when I leave buckets out and that cords are visible in the tank...takes away from his contemporary look.:ballchain:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back