Fish to stay away from and why? Discussion

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are there any fish to just stay away from in this hobby? These could be fish that are impossible to keep or cause destruction in a reef/saltwater tank. Have you ever owned one? Also if you see a fish posted in this thread and you disagree with the information posted on the fish, let's hear all sides. Also post an alternative fish if there is one that would be better in its place.

I'll start with a few of the ones:

Moorish Idol - These are known to have a short life span in the hobby due to really specific dietary requirements. I have never owned one but of course love the look of the fish. The Black and White Heniochis is a great look-alike fish which has less dietary issues in captivity.

Damsels - I know this one is a controversial fish for sure as some are ok and some are super aggressive. I owned a half black, half white damsel that was a tiny little covert assassin that targetted any fish that came within 4 feet of his house (I only had a 4 foot tank). It would attack things 10 times its size repeatedly and wouldn't give up. It even attacked a goby that was still in the bag when it was placed next to the tank right before acclimation. It caused over $250 in fish losses until I caught it and gave it to the pet store for their live rock tank. An alternative would be the chromis species. They are still damsels but more tame for sure.

stiddley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well im not knocking longnose hawks, but if youre planning on running a tank without a top, dont!! My longnose was my favorite fish, i could hand feed him after a week...well never really expected him to go carpet/floor surfing, but alas he did like many others i have seen :cry:...If you want a cool fish that will relax on rocks and coral, then get one but make sure to have a top!...a good alternative could be a flame hawk but they mainly stay on the bottom portion of tanks, but still really cool fish

OP
OP
cdness

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't realize the Long Nose Hawks were jumpers... That is great info as I have considered them in the past.

Keep the fish facts coming.

STL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pacific Blue Hippo Tangs are jumpers too :(

Schools of green chromises often don't work out long term, and large individuals can become bullies to other fish.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back