My 120G

Onedesign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'd finally take a few shots of my 120 to show here....lighting is DIY LED fixture.

Lunar Eclipse Zoa
1024.jpg

Sunset Monti
1024.jpg

Red Planet
1024.jpg

JF Setosa
1024.jpg

Watermelon Chalice
1024.jpg

Volcano
1024.jpg

WWC Bubble Gum Monster
1024.jpg

Orange Fungia
1024.jpg

Where's Waldo?
1024.jpg

Full Tank shot
1024.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Onedesign1

Onedesign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great!!
What are your tank specs?
Thanks! Its an Oceanic Tech Tank Starfire front- 120G. 40B for sump that I made...skimmer on left fast drain with bubble trap, fuge on right with slow drain with DIY LED there also, return in center via 9.5 pump. 10G ATO tank sits cross-wise on top of the sump, ATO controlled by JBJ which feeds DIY Kalk reactor. Also run TLF carbon and GFO reactors. Coralife UV. 2 Koralia 1400's on wavemaker. Lighting is DIY using Cree 3W LEDs - 44 Royal Blue, 6 Green, 3 Red, 6 Neutral White, & 18 Cool Whites. Meanwell Drivers - HLG 120-42B & HLG 185-42B. What else? I think thats its!

M&M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice tank,I love those Oceanic Tech tanks,got one myself.Really cool aquascape.

GR808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Its an Oceanic Tech Tank Starfire front- 120G. 40B for sump that I made...skimmer on left fast drain with bubble trap, fuge on right with slow drain with DIY LED there also, return in center via 9.5 pump. 10G ATO tank sits cross-wise on top of the sump, ATO controlled by JBJ which feeds DIY Kalk reactor. Also run TLF carbon and GFO reactors. Coralife UV. 2 Koralia 1400's on wavemaker. Lighting is DIY using Cree 3W LEDs - 44 Royal Blue, 6 Green, 3 Red, 6 Neutral White, & 18 Cool Whites. Meanwell Drivers - HLG 120-42B & HLG 185-42B. What else? I think thats its!

Do you have a build thread for your light? the LED combination sounds interesting.
I also have a DIY LED light for my 120L with 96 3 watt LEDs of just RB and CW

OP
OP
Onedesign1

Onedesign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a build thread for your light? the LED combination sounds interesting.
I also have a DIY LED light for my 120L with 96 3 watt LEDs of just RB and CW

no I didn't do a thread but there's a summary over at RC as I participate there in LED discussions. I just added the greens and reds the other day. I started out with 24CW, 6 NW and 44 RB. Then I pulled 6CW and replaced with 6 RB. Now I pulled those 6 RBs and replace with 6 Greens and added 3 reds. I can now dial in a color mix I really really like. Here's my summary post in an RC thread that pic was an inititial shot before I dial it in to where it is now. Reef Central Online Community - View Single Post - DIY LEDs - The write-up I have also added 90 degree optics...I took a measurement last week and I'm only running the white driver (now with green and red on it) at 450ma.

I also posted this early today in an LED thread but here the PAR readings I was able to get prior to the optics and my recent changes. I never ran it there as they are too high :)
1024.jpg

OP
OP
Onedesign1

Onedesign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very happy and you can see the pics how healthy they are. I believe the key with LEDs is dialing it back...it is very easy to over light with them. Watts, Watts/gal, etc do not apply. PAR is through the roof with low watt output. The biggest issue I see with commercial LED fixtures is they are using tight optics to claim the high PAR value. Thats fine but in order to get coverage you have to hang them 2 feet above your tank...and if you can't do that then you add a 1/3 unit...next thing you know you're over powering and bleaching stuff.

GR808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very happy and you can see the pics how healthy they are. I believe the key with LEDs is dialing it back...it is very easy to over light with them. Watts, Watts/gal, etc do not apply. PAR is through the roof with low watt output. The biggest issue I see with commercial LED fixtures is they are using tight optics to claim the high PAR value. Thats fine but in order to get coverage you have to hang them 2 feet above your tank...and if you can't do that then you add a 1/3 unit...next thing you know you're over powering and bleaching stuff.

I know exactly what you mean. since I've had my DIY LED I started with 25 percent intensity on my RKL and did a 10 percent increase weekly.. Got up to about 70 percent and corals started bleaching. Quickly turned it down to 30 percent and reduced my light time by 2 hours. Since then it has been at 40 percent now for a month. They are powerful lights for sure and I have the light just about 4 inches above the water with no optics.

OP
OP
Onedesign1

Onedesign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know exactly what you mean. since I've had my DIY LED I started with 25 percent intensity on my RKL and did a 10 percent increase weekly.. Got up to about 70 percent and corals started bleaching. Quickly turned it down to 30 percent and reduced my light time by 2 hours. Since then it has been at 40 percent now for a month. They are powerful lights for sure and I have the light just about 4 inches above the water with no optics.

So are you happy now with the growth and color or are you experiencing a problem which prompted the question? By the way....I run my RB 11 hours and the RGW for 6 hours

GR808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very happy with my LEDs. My water temp is lower, electricity consumption lower, and I can change my color temp anytime. I have noticed growth in some but not all of my corals. But the colors are incredible. I've just started dosing coralamino and lugols and I am noticing more color. so I am hoping that trend continues.
I run everything 10 hrs a day

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Amazing tank! I would be proud if I were you!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back