A Water Change A Day...

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change #56!

I finally realized what I'm liking about paddle mixing, and I don't think it's the time savings, if there is any.

It's that my hands can stay dry through the whole water change if I do it that way. :) Sweet! Water changes just got (even) easier.

My new best friend:
23091p.jpg

LOL.

And in reality I don't have to stand over the batch continuously while mixing this way....just nearby to keep it moving when it loses its stirring momentum. And since my hands are dry I'm finding different things to do.

-Matt

I guess if that's working for you. LOL. I just drop a couple old powerheads in and walk away, maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Glad your pavona is doing right!

30/30 one more for a perfect month of December!

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually bought the paddle for mixing 2-part in large batches back when the tank was really booming (didn't want to have to keep a clean pump around, or clean one) so it was around for me to try out.

For mixing, I typically (historically, anyway) use a Seio 1000 creatively clamped to the rim of the bucket, aimed down. :thumb: Tunze and Hydor pumps work equally well in the same fashion. About anything with a propellor and magnet mount.

Small-nozzle pumps - like any old school powerhead or a Mag pump, for instance - are a little harder to hang properly from the rim usually, but work well too. I'd say a minimum size of around 300 gph would be best though - bigger would be better. I started out mixing salt this way with my old Penguin 550, which was leftover from the early 90's. The pump still works (seriously), but it wasn't quite strong enough to be fast at mixing. :bored: Remember, that pump was one upgrade step in flow above airstones - meant for driving undergravel filters. Heheh. Rated at 150 gph. Awesome reliability though.

BTW, if you're laying your pump on the bottom of the bucket, you're doing it wrong. ;) ;) If so, I do think you'd be surprised how much faster the salt can mix. (And faster actually does equal better here.) Try just holding the pump at the rim by hand for one mixing session. See what you think. :suspicious:

-Matt

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect month! Wooohoooo. Lol. And I also decided that I'm changing my salt mix to Aquavitro Salinity.

Too bad I found the source of my phosphate issues, my five gallon water holding containers. Tested the water in one of the containers with my Hanna abs it came back at .13. Have GFO on order from BRS.

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2/2 in 2014.

Disturbed my sand bed prior to this water change, will blow the rocks off tomorrow and on Sunday I will vacuum the sump.

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change #59!

Can't believe I'm down to my last bag of salt in this box already!

I need to find a local place with decent salt prices. I want to be able to run out an pick up a box of salt vs waiting on shipping for a change.

bknapp: Way to boost nutrient export!! :thumb: You're on that problem like stink on...eh...detritus! (Pun. Couldn't resist...sorry. :wink:)

-Matt

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One if the big-budget solutions. It works if you can swing it! :) And easier once it's all set up.

Pretty similar to the Reef Filler isn't it?

-Matt

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only issue with an automated water change system such as that is the lack of actual interaction with the tank (ie: the manual removal of detritus, the vacuuming of the sump, blowing detritus and other matter off of the rocks.)

That being said it's a very cool set up and it's very well thought out. Great work.

Guess I don't understand why people make it seem like a chore to do water changes.

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change #60!

Still a little hard to believe how fast I'm going through salt and water now. Out of water again last night and opened my last bag of salt too. It's great! :)

-Matt

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only issue with an automated water change system such as that is the lack of actual interaction with the tank (ie: the manual removal of detritus, the vacuuming of the sump, blowing detritus and other matter off of the rocks.)

That being said it's a very cool set up and it's very well thought out. Great work.

Guess I don't understand why people make it seem like a chore to do water changes.

LOL, Lack of interaction?, No such thing Sir. All the other tasks are still required and done. BTW- i agree with you that waterchanges should not be a chore hence making it simpler encourages more compliance. Before this i did them via a waterchange system in garage with a pump, and a garden hose, and have yet to do less than 30% WC per month in over 8 years. What i dont care to do is lift buckets, LOL, :)

MCarroll- Not familiar with Reef Filler, and its cheaper than you think to get this done.

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MCarroll- Not familiar with Reef Filler, and its cheaper than you think to get this done.

I'm sure it's a lot richer than my set of three-dollar 5-gallon buckets and fifteen dollar mixing paddle. You might catch me showing off mixing with a $40 Seio pump. Then there's the four dollars worth of siphon tubing. ;)

I kid. $[how much did you spend?] is not really a lot in the grand scheme of a reef tank, and if this is what it takes in your scenario to "git er dun" then it's money well spent. The biggest thing I have a problem with is the replacement tubing being required every year, or even twice a year. Appears to be around $40-$50 per pump!! I didn't spend a lot of time reading or searching, but after getting out from under halide bulb replacements, I'd not be in a hurry to get under another requirement like that.

(OEM pic)
ChemTechDuplex.jpg

The Reef Filler is set up in a similar fashion to the Stenner you are using, but uses a diaphragm style pump with essentially infinite usage life. They run around $250 for a single-head or $350 for a dual-head, no wearable parts like tubing. I think these things have been on the market ever since Champion Lighting started advertising (80's?) so they've got a small, but very dedicated following if you Google around.

Also Made in USA last I knew. Looks like the OEM got gobbled up by Siemens, but I'd bet they're still made here. The upside is that it looks like today you can order a dual head unit direct from their website for $299 (up to 30 gpd...+$42 for all faster speeds). Only $199 for most single head units. Looks like Siemans may even offer free shipping. Huh!

-Matt

Last edited:

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, Lack of interaction?, No such thing Sir. All the other tasks are still required and done. BTW- i agree with you that waterchanges should not be a chore hence making it simpler encourages more compliance. Before this i did them via a waterchange system in garage with a pump, and a garden hose, and have yet to do less than 30% WC per month in over 8 years. What i dont care to do is lift buckets, LOL, :)

I meant no disrespect and, I hope it came across that way.

I don't think that personally a set up like yours would work for me. I guess I'm the weird one who actually enjoys the tasks evolved with this hobby. Lifting buckets doesn't bother me (maybe I am the strange one.)

:screwy:

3/3 in 2014

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MCarroll- the dual head stenner was $273 including shipping, all parts necessary to install, and 2 sets of extra tubing. Hnonestlly havent priced out replacement tubing. That champion one certainly looks like it could do it also. Keep up the good work.

bknapp- i was not taken as disrespect, on the contrary. You are not "a strange one", i also enjoy working on the tank, after all its our passion. I do however dislike hualing buckets, maybe cause ive been doiing this for over 20 years, and im getting older, LOL Ide rather spend a few hours a week, cleaning and scrapping the glass, rearranging corals and rocks, changing chemical media, testing etc.... Dont forget i still have to keep the fresh salt water bin full, etc....:)

teddy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have an easier system for water changes, i have 2 rain barrels. the ro/di goes to one which is my top of water, i take water from this to my other barrel via pump and tubing for my salt mix, which also has pump n tubing, all i have to do is run my siphon tube from tank to tub; drain what i need gone; run tubing from salt barrel to tank and fill, each day i take tube from ro/di water to tank to top off, both barrels have heater and power head in it to keep movement going and it mixes salt for me ..

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MCarroll- the dual head stenner was $273[....]

Same ballpark then. If I had $200-$300 that was in-pocket and not already earmarked for another purpose, I think I'd consider strongly doing something like this.

[...]i also enjoy working on the tank, after all its our passion. I do however dislike hualing buckets, maybe cause ive been doiing this for over 20 years, and im getting older, LOL[...]

..and this is the main reason. :) Moving 5 gallons of water -- once from wet-area to the tank, once from the tank back to the wet area for the big lift to the sink drain -- is about my limit for comfort! :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back