A Water Change A Day...

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brandon, what kind of progress / improvements have you been seeing?

James

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brandon, what kind of progress / improvements have you been seeing?

James

The colors of my acros has improved and it seems that some have started to actually branch off as opposed to just being a stick lol. Zoa growth has improved my golden torch is actually turning gold again. And my parameters have stayed pretty consistent even with my dosing pumps being shut off. Also PE has been incredible.

TimSc2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a good camera to show the color change in the tips of this acro that went from brown to a blueish-purple in two months but you can at least see the growth achieved during the daily water changes. May not be impressive to others but it is a major achievement for me.
102813.jpg
122713.jpg

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice photos! And fwiw, I'm glad you don't have a better camera - I can see what your tank "really" looks like better this way. My photos have the same "look and feel"...as I imagine most folks' do.

The little Acro. in the shade at about 7 o'clock below the featured piece has put on some dramatic growth too! Is it just a trick of perspective, or has he not only gotten longer branches and more coralites, but he's also gotten thicker overall?

-Matt

TimSc2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The little Acro. in the shade at about 7 o'clock below the featured piece has put on some dramatic growth too! Is it just a trick of perspective, or has he not only gotten longer branches and more coralites, but he's also gotten thicker overall?

-Matt

That's my purple juice acro which as you observed has also experienced considerable growth. I am surprised that most of the growth and coloration is within the shade of the acro above. I now see that you need to consider future growth when orginally placing frags. At least in this case it has worked out so far.

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's my purple juice acro which as you observed has also experienced considerable growth. I am surprised that most of the growth and coloration is within the shade of the acro above. I now see that you need to consider future growth when orginally placing frags. At least in this case it has worked out so far.

Absolutely.

It's also true that almost all "award winning" tanks look far to coiffed vs nature IMO. Too perfect. My thought is always: "You're telling me those colonies grew to be that big in that tank and NONE are growing into each other, NONE have shaded out bases, etc in that whole time? Right." Of course the accompanying article gives an equipment list and a livestock list to drool over, but squat about how the tank got to be that way or how it's kept that way.

Corals in "weird" or random places seems more naturalistic to me....plus you often get to see a different side of a coral than you knew, as things that were in full sun grow in and some things get shaded. Your "purple juice" acro is a good example, Ponape birdsnest is another...tho not sure you have that one. :)

-Matt

labas39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have approximately 70 gallons of total water and I've been doing 5 gallon water changes 3 to 5 times a week for about 6 months now. I started because I was getting lax in my larger water changes and I started to get an algae problem. After I started the smaller water changes, my algae issues have decreased substantially.

I'm a believer.

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have approximately 70 gallons of total water and I've been doing 5 gallon water changes 3 to 5 times a week for about 6 months now. I started because I was getting lax in my larger water changes and I started to get an algae problem. After I started the smaller water changes, my algae issues have decreased substantially.

I'm a believer.

Good work!

"Don't Stop believin'"

:thumbup:

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change #55!

I'm sticking with the paddle mixing method for a bit - at least when I have enough time to stand there while mixing.

Somehow not having to set up the pump and then drain it and put it away after mixing each batch makes it feel like I'm saving a little time. Maybe I'll time it someday and do a comparison. :)

-Matt

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope to jump on this ban wagon tomorrow, my xmas present to myself was 2-50ml/min dosing pumps that i will attempt to setup to do 2 gallon daily waterchanges.

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope to jump on this ban wagon tomorrow, my xmas present to myself was 2-50ml/min dosing pumps that i will attempt to setup to do 2 gallon daily waterchanges.

Hey there Greg! Glad to see you jumping on the Wagon! If you're going to use the pumps for your WC's make sure they dose at the same speed if not you could have some salinity issues.

29/29 in December!

Last edited:
OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Row, row, row your boat.

That just seems like too much work for me.

:banghead:

Seems like more work than it really is I think. If I can remember to have my phone on me I'll try to make a vid. :)

-Matt

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change #56!

I finally realized what I'm liking about paddle mixing, and I don't think it's the time savings, if there is any.

It's that my hands can stay dry through the whole water change if I do it that way. :) Sweet! Water changes just got (even) easier.

My new best friend:
23091p.jpg

LOL.

And in reality I don't have to stand over the batch continuously while mixing this way....just nearby to keep it moving when it loses its stirring momentum. And since my hands are dry I'm finding different things to do.

-Matt

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been having fun thinking about how this "water change a day" strategy wold apply to nano and pico tanks.

Wouldn't it be easy to have an amazing, tiny SPS system with mostly water changes this way?

I mean even 10% daily is only a gallon....and I think up to 20% or 30% would be possible without causing any stress. Maybe even higher quantity than that because there's so little fluctuation in water quality, there wouldn't be much room for any kind of "shock" that one would typically associate with changing too much water at once.

Now I need a smaller tank and I don't have one. :) Hm.

Is anyone else doing this on a nano already? With stony corals? SPS?

-Matt

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaned up the front glass a bit an noticed definite signs of growth and better color on my Pavona. Finally! :)

-Matt

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back