mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change #49!

Gonna take a break after this vat of water if needed until I can refresh the RODI cartridges.....I'm almost sure I'm causing the cyano spots and the filter replacements are on their way.

-Matt

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change #49!

Gonna take a break after this vat of water if needed until I can refresh the RODI cartridges.....I'm almost sure I'm causing the cyano spots and the filter replacements are on their way.

-Matt

Don't Stop now. Don't want to be the last one riding this crazy train. Lol

Did another one today!

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not giving up - new filters should be here Monday if you believe in UPS estimates, and I'm only pausing if I run out of water between now and then. :)

On a funny note concerning the pH issue I mentioned earlier and elsewhere...I just discovered my pH test kit expired in 2011. LOLOLOL

What makes it especially funny to me is that I use all Salifert kits and they make it easy to see (I would have said impossible NOT to see...) the expiration date cuz it's stamped on a bright sticker right on the lid, and I check all my dates pretty regularly. I guess I have low regard for pH tests and just paid it no mind.... Heheh

-Matt

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another one bites the dust....

Haven't missed one since November 9th!

Now I get to have a great song running through my head when I reply:

Great job! :) There should be a prize of some sort for hitting water-change milestones.

-Matt

Edit: I guess happy, healthy corals are the prize, eh?

Last edited:
OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank's not very showy - think I'd have to show a before-after or time-series of photos to get anything out of it. Not sure I have enough photos to do that, but I can maybe pick some photos I do have and get updates to compare with. Time, time, time is the issue. Photos have always been low on my priority list, but it could happen! :)

Maybe Brandon's (or anyone else still playing!) tank is a better candidate? :)

-Matt

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, on another note, my long-disappeared colony of gorilla-nipple zoanthids just popped three little heads out today for the first time that I noticed. I gave em a scrub with a toothbrush just to given them the official welcome-back...I'm sure they'll be back again though. :(

Further proof that you can't (or at least I can't) kill a coral which you actually want to get rid of!

And for the nth time, a pox on anyone who recommends zoantids as a good beginner coral. (Shrooms are equally un-good!)

-Matt

Last edited:

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's OK I'm going to have a 110 full of pink and gold palys before too long.

:banghead:

I'm not much of a picture guy I could post the ones I do.

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change #51!

BTW, I found another thread (elsewhere) where folks are doing a pretty similar exercise, only focusing specifically on 1% daily water changes.. Been going for almost 2 years, so it's a pretty long read.

-Matt

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got another one in today. I got all my test kits in this week and I've been having problems getting my two part dosers set up correctly. After seeing my test results I think these daily water changes have saved my tank. I'm currently testing, testing, testing to find out my daily usage and the amount added back in by the WC to figure out how much I need to dose.

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes a week or less to get a positive lock on the tank's consumption if you are methodical. Maybe you're already doing something like this, but just in case...

Brightwell's instructions were how I learned to do it. The quality of their instructions are why I still - in spite of the cheapness of DIY chems - recommend people start out use their products. How expensive is a dosing screw-up after you save $2 on chemicals that come with a blank label, or if you're lucky a concentration level? The Reef Calculator only gets you so far. :)

Brightwell Aquatics - Alkalin8.3

That should link to the back label of their alkalinity product. Check the paragraph for the "Advanced" instructions to see their method. (Which is not magic, just methodical.) I think I took a whole week of testing the very first time, but I can usually pin down a usage rate within a few days of observation now.

As far as accounting for water changes, I would test soon after a water change. Really, as long as you are consistent with your timing it doesn't really matter when or what order you do them. E.g. If you do your water change in the morning and test at night - fine. Just do that every day and do both at the same time every day - at least for the duration of your doser setup. :)

-Matt

Last edited:

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been testing two or three times a day to figure things out. Once before the water change, one an hour after, and sometimes one more time. I've been testing at close to the Same time everyday to keep the sand 24 hour recordings.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 48 33.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 20.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 27 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back