mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change #40!

Things are busy, busy again, so having to drip a pretty hefty makeup dose again: 300 mL of each part.

Heheh.

Gonna drip them seperately this time so I can (comfortably) drip them a little faster. (Mostly speaking of the alk. part.)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

-Matt

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change #41!

Hopefully I'm back on track for at least a few more weeks! :)

-Matt

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change #43!

Sampled Mg today and it has already dropped to 1200 ppm.

I haven't been tracking closely, but I'd guess I've gone through about 1 gallon of Recipe 2. (This is what actually prompted me to test Mg again.)

It would appear (based on tests for Mg, alk and Ca) that I have to dose about 1.2 liters of Mg, 714 mL of Ca and 175 mL of alkalinity.

Gonna start with 1 liter of Mg and 350 mL of Ca and retest.

-Matt

P.S. I finally started removing some of the "dead frag wood" from the tank and freeing up space for water movement last night....skimmer has been going crazy. :) Also got the idea in my head that I may save my big monti rock DRY as a kind of trophy instead of busting it all up and trying to "replant" on it as I had been thinking. I might follow suit on all my populated rocks: Frag off a piece of everything I want, then yank the whole rock and let it dry out, bleach it and save it somewhere. :) Anyway, it's an idea....

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even in its present state there's still a large quantity of SPS and a couple of LPS laying down THAT MUCH skeleton every day. :)

(And why daily dosing is really the way to go vs what I'm doing at the moment.)

-Matt

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even in its present state there's still a large quantity of SPS and a couple of LPS laying down THAT MUCH skeleton every day. :)

-Matt

I'm doing daily dosing now too. But I have a 12g nano so not so much. Lol

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

-Matt
So after doing this for about a month and half, what would your opinions be on daily water changes vs dosing? Sounds like it's doable for nanos to replenish the parameters but in a tank with much more corals growing at a rapid rate it might be easier to just dose?

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't look at it as a water changes vs dosing thing, but what you say about light load or tiny tank vs heavy load is true.

Regardless of my dosing regiment, I've mostly always done 20% weekly water changes for their independent benefits.

"Water Change A Day" is really all about me finding a way/time to do ANY water changes.

If I break them down to this size, they are so fast and easy to accomplish that even I am still getting about 20% per week done. :)

Others might find the fast and easy aspects desirable for different reasons, of course. Or they may simply like the stability it brings.

-Matt

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change #46!

(Missed posting this yesterday somehow...oops! Another coming later.)

-Matt

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work!

I'm still on this train, been doing at least six five gallon changes a week but more often than not all seven days. I'm too lazy to count how many. According to my calendar I've only missed two since October 6th.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change #47!

Well I broke out the power head and 1/2" hose again to blast out the rocks and siphon as much crud as I could.

HOLY COW it's surprising how much c**p builds up! I pulled a measuring cup or even a cup and a half of muck out!*

And I only have three little one-inch fish!

And I JUST did this how many posts ago? (#200) At least it took ~5 years to get this way, I guess. :xd: And at least having the tank bare-bottomed makes cleaning it up a pretty simple exercise.

To all you folks with fish jammed in your tank....(wait for it)...up to their gills...I can only imagine the buildup you get - and how quickly. I recommend every last one of you go bare-bottomed with your tank asap! :)

-Matt

* That's only what a regular fish net recovered from the siphon stream....there were a lot of fines as well. Gotta do this "filtering" of the waste stream to save the bigger stuff from going down the drain...sandy material can block a drain trap pretty bad.

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually one of my water changes a week I'll blast the rocks with a powerhead and on another day I'll vacuum stuff from inside of my sump.

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually one of my water changes a week I'll blast the rocks with a powerhead and on another day I'll vacuum stuff from inside of my sump.

I think that sounds like a great policy! :)

What's your bio load like, btw?

-Matt

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that sounds like a great policy! :)

What's your bio load like, btw?

-Matt

I wouldn't consider it a heavy bioload, but not as minimal as yours. Mostly smaller fish (wrasses, chromis, gobies) and a couple of medium sized tangs in a 110 tall. I want to add plenty of more. I'm also utilizing pellets and a turf scrubber. I'd consider it a medium on the heavy side of medium (if that's not vague enough.)

Last edited:

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 40 22.7%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back