Ball anemone issue

  • Thread starter Thread starter BDeVaney
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Ball Nems can multiply rapidly, but they aren't like an Aiptasia style infestation. The tend to get here and there, but don't grow to any size that should be a concern. It is however a form of Aiptasia, and with nutrients running rampant, they can get out of hand.
 
Ok well from all the pictures I've seen I am fairly certain they are ball nems, aiptasia or not they are starting to spread. Are they harmful to the other life in my tank?
 
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1383878539.673145.jpg
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1383878559.414054.jpg
here's a couple. I know they are kinda hard to see but I have those 2 and 5 or 6 more just like it. They aren't causing problems right now. It was just the spread of them that caught my attention
 
That is a ball anemone, they tend to get in and kill Zoa colonies in my tank. Kind of cool looking, all of mine only open at night. I try to get them out when I can though.
 
Ive got quite a few in my tank. Copperband Butterfly used to eat them.
 
That's what the guy at the LFS told me. He didn't have any in stock though and he said they are not fully reef compatible but that he has had luck with them. I might look into that. I've tried controlling the problem today with aiptasia X but I have left a few alive just to try to measure how fast they spread
 
I didnt' have any issue with my Copperband nipping at anything else. But I only had softies. I would occasionally turn over a few rocks for him, and he would pick it clean.
 
Mine are in a darker area as well. I checked out the copper and online. It would be cool to have one but my tank is way too small for that
 
You can inject em with lemon juice, like you would an Aiptasia. If you don't like them.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 42 31.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new