Maintaining Calcium and Alkalinity. What do you use and how does it work for you.

IPisces

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of us struggle with maintaining calcium and alkalinity in our smaller tanks. I have a 75 gal mixed reef that I am trying to maintian the calcium and alkalinity by dosing a two part product. I am currently using IO Reef Crystals salt mix. I am dosing Kent Marine Tech CB. 2oz of part A and about 1/2 oz of part B every morning. Alk fluctuates between 8.4 and 11.2. Not over night but over a period of a couple weeks. Cal stays low. Around 280-340. I know this is not the ideal ratio but its tought to dose just the right amount to keep the calcium and alkalinity at a constant level. I am still really new to this hobby. I started my first tank 2 years ago last month. I would like to learn more about the different approaches to maintaining these levels and to keep my system stable.

I would like to hear what others are doing to keep the calcium and alkalinity in there system. Please include
What size tank you are keeping?
Are you keeping sps and is it a lot of sps or just a few?
What salt mix are you using?
Are you dosing anything and what and how much? Are you running a calc reactor & how does it work?
Are you able to keep your system stable with what your doing or are you having trouble keeping the levels consistant?
How often are your water changes and do you dose your new saltwater before doing the water change to match the calcium and alkalinity levels in your tank?
Any other information that you feel will be helpful is appreciated.
How often do you test your water for calc & alk levels.

Lytehouse

just havin' fun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of us struggle with maintaining calcium and alkalinity in our smaller tanks. I have a 75 gal mixed reef that I am trying to maintian the calcium and alkalinity by dosing a two part product. I am currently using IO Reef Crystals salt mix. I am dosing Kent Marine Tech CB. 2oz of part A and about 1/2 oz of part B every morning. Alk fluctuates between 8.4 and 11.2. Not over night but over a period of a couple weeks. Cal stays low. Around 280-340. I know this is not the ideal ratio but its tought to dose just the right amount to keep the calcium and alkalinity at a constant level. I am still really new to this hobby. I started my first tank 2 years ago last month. I would like to learn more about the different approaches to maintaining these levels and to keep my system stable.

I would like to hear what others are doing to keep the calcium and alkalinity in there system. Please include

125 gal total water volume
dose alk/calc/mag
from BRS
with:
46bedd54.jpg

sps, lps and zoanthids

Reef Crystals

Are you dosing anything and what and how much? Are you running a calc reactor & how does it work?
Are you able to keep your system stable with what your doing or are you having trouble keeping the levels consistant?

Used the chart on BRS website to get paramaters to desired levels, then took couple weeks to tweek the dosing pumps.

How often are your water changes and do you dose your new saltwater before doing the water change to match the calcium and alkalinity levels in your tank?

water changes EOW, do not dose change water-- but do buffer it.

I got tired of worring about parameters all the time. The people around me are constantly replacing regulatos, refilling canisters or generally messing with their reactors.
A friend set up dosing on his 340 gal tank and it keeps his parameters spot on and all he does it check to see the hoses aren't clogged a couple times week and watches the tank.
Same has worked for me.

once weekly

OP
OP
IPisces

IPisces

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am keeping SPS, LPS and Zoas too.
The more I think about it the more I like the idea of the dosing pump.

I know there are a lot of people here that keep SPS and are doing something to dose their tanks. Your input would greatly assist the noob reefkeepers. Please add your two cent worth. They could be worth at lot more to others.
Anyone dosing the drip method by gravity? Thats what I was thinking about doing but can that be hard to control?

Last edited:

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without listing tank sizes and inhabitants, because I've used this method in several different tanks, I'll explain something that's worked for me.

Get your Alk/Ca/Mg levels balanced and at appropriate levels, first.

Once you're there, test your tank every day, without dosing anything, for about a week. Keep a written log going of dates and results.

At then end of that week, calculate how much each level has dropped. Now, using the Reef Chemistry Calculator, determine how much you need to dose, to bring your levels back up to appropriate levels and balanced. 'Reef Chemistry Calculator FV'

Dose those amounts and retest after a few hours, to confirm that your levels are appropriately high and balanced.

Now, you know how much you need to dose, WEEKLY, in order to keep your tank levels high enough and balanced. Divide those amounts, by the number of days, to figure out a Daily Dosage Amount.

Now, simply dose your Daily Dosage Amount, Daily! This will allow for smaller doses, more often, making dosing easier for you AND keeping your parameters much more stable. Once you've started dosing, daily, test every 2 weeks, to see if your Daily Dosage Amount needs to be adjusted slightly, up or down, to fine tune things.

As corals/coraline algae grow, in your tank, you'll need to adjust your daily dosing, to compensate, but this adjustment is something you can make easily, as you fine tune things, every 2 weeks or so.

OP
OP
IPisces

IPisces

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard people talk about dripping kalkwasser. Is that to maintain just calcium or does that also maintain alkalinity? I have seen kalk mixers and have also seen people dripping kalk water. I believe they were mixing the kalk water in with the top off water with an auto top of system. Can it be used this way to maintain calcium and alkalinity?

I'm still liking the dosing pump....

OP
OP
IPisces

IPisces

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Once you're there, test your tank every day, without dosing anything, for about a week. Keep a written log going of dates and results.

At then end of that week, calculate how much each level has dropped. Now, using the Reef Chemistry Calculator, determine how much you need to dose, to bring your levels back up to appropriate levels and balanced. 'Reef Chemistry Calculator FV'

Dose those amounts and retest after a few hours, to confirm that your levels are appropriately high and balanced.

Now, you know how much you need to dose, WEEKLY, in order to keep your tank levels high enough and balanced. Divide those amounts, by the number of days, to figure out a Daily Dosage Amount.

Now, simply dose your Daily Dosage Amount, Daily!

I have actualy used this method. I have been managing so far, well working on managing it, but I was hoping to get more ideas on other methods other than manually dosing every day.

spscrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was doing the daily dosing to keep my cal. alk & ph right seemed like I was forever running out of the 2 part solutions & always when I was broke! kept reading about people dosing kalk, after worrying about it for months I finally went with it I got a 1g clear container from Wal mart about 1$ drilled a hole for airline tubing about 2" from the bottom insterted air line tubing & superglued it in place (was a tight fit but did it just to be sure) and for a dripper I got a 3 pk of drippers from Lowes (under 10$ in irrigation section) worked perfect the drippers are adjustable to increase or decrease the drip rate every 4-5 days I clean it with 50/50 water & vinegar to clean out the tubing I use Mrs Wages I really couldn't believe how easy it was & yet had an amazing effect in my tank that coupled with adding led lighting from reeffiltration has turned my tank around before I'd get a sps frag & simply pray & pray if nothing else just don't let it die some did but some lived & were always brownish & didn't grow much now I am seeing so much color & growth I bought a pink & green abrotanoids 2 weeks ago, my first sps since adding kalk & the LEDs & son of a gun! it stayed pink & green & has already showing a bit of growth oh almost forgot I drilled a tiny hole in the lid to release pressure try it you will be happy!

spscrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry forgot this part it is a 95g sps tank I test once a week just a few sps but more to come (!) salt is red sea coral pro water change is 3 gal every 2 weeks only dosing is ammino acids by brightwell

KingRicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75g mixed reef that I perform 30g water changes every other week. I dose my NSW to get my parameters to where I want them.
CALC: 450 ppm
ALK:11 dkh
MAG: 1400 ppm
I don't dose between water changes.

I use the Randy Holmes-Farley DIY 2 Part. I use Instant Ocean and Reef Crystals salt mixes.

Dank Sinatra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without listing tank sizes and inhabitants, because I've used this method in several different tanks, I'll explain something that's worked for me.

Now, simply dose your Daily Dosage Amount, Daily! This will allow for smaller doses, more often, making dosing easier for you AND keeping your parameters much more stable. Once you've started dosing, daily, test every 2 weeks, to see if your Daily Dosage Amount needs to be adjusted slightly, up or down, to fine tune things.

As corals/coraline algae grow, in your tank, you'll need to adjust your daily dosing, to compensate, but this adjustment is something you can make easily, as you fine tune things, every 2 weeks or so.

Doesnt it sometimes take at least 24 hours to see the true effects of dosing, maybe even longer?

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnesium is a must to keep alk and ca in proportion. I have a 300 gallon tank and run a Ca reactor and a kalk reactor. Kalk keeps my Ca up at 450 and ph around 8.0 (depends on how much solution is in the reactor, how new etc) The Ca reactor keeps my alk up. I test every few days and adjust time on my Ca reactor to raise or lower the alk.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd have gone with the 3 channel doser and dose each element (Ca, alk, and Mg) individually.

I have a spread sheet for tracking so I can check for any trends. I like to keep my alk around 11 but stability is the key. I have been as high as 16.8 and not lost anything because I didn't do a drastic change. Just lowered contact time in the Ca reactor and let it adjust on its own. (16.8 was high, Ca was low and Mg was low. Once those were brought in to specs, everything levelled out)

I use whatever salt I win at raffles or I buy IO. I keep a mixed reef and everything is fine.

Must reads;

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Last edited:

racefan

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank you are keeping? 40B
Are you keeping sps and is it a lot of sps or just a few? A few SPS mostly softies
What salt mix are you using?I use Kent Reef Salt @1.025sg
Are you dosing anything and what and how much? Are you running a calc reactor & how does it work? I'm dosing BRS 2 part through my ATO water
Are you able to keep your system stable with what your doing or are you having trouble keeping the levels consistant? It took a little experimenting, but once I figured out how much my tank needed I just I add it to my ATO water. Levels are stable & constant now.
How often are your water changes and do you dose your new saltwater before doing the water change to match the calcium and alkalinity levels in your tank? 5 gals every other week 10 gals once a month, no dosing before hand.
How often do you test your water for calc & alk levels.Now that I have my levels stable I test about once a week

Last edited:
OP
OP
IPisces

IPisces

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnesium is a must to keep alk and ca in proportion.

My Mag stays at 1390-1400. At one point when I first set up the tank it was higher, but it has stayed somewhat stable at the 1390-1400 without dosing it.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd have gone with the 3 channel doser and dose each element (Ca, alk, and Mg) individually.

Is it your opinion then that this method would be easier to manage or more stable.

Also, if I was to switch from dosing the kent products to either dosing another brand or to start dripping kalkwasser, I am worried about loosing coral due to fluctuation in the parameters while trying to figure out how much to dose. I have all the test kits, so I can test daily.

OP
OP
IPisces

IPisces

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had considered not keeping sps any longer because of the few losses I have had. I am guessing it was from alk swings. It would only be one piece at a time, so maybe it was another reason, but I always attributed it to low alk or a swing in alk. I have a couple pieces that I just dont want to give up though, so I am continuing to dose.
I am being inspired by everyones feed back here. A few people have mentioned Bulk Reef Supply brand of two/three part additives. I've heard good things about their products before. I think I will look into their 3 part products.
The Bubble Magus is a great piece of equipment that I will may get. I am thinking of trying the irrigation drippers from lowes and trying gravity drip on them first. I'll have to look into those though to see how slow they can be set to drip.
If anyone has an opinion on other additives for calc/alk/mag, let me know. I know there are a lot of different brands out there and hearing from people whom have used them for a long period of time with good results are the best way to find the better additives.

Lytehouse

just havin' fun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if I was to switch from dosing the kent products to either dosing another brand or to start dripping kalkwasser, I am worried about loosing coral due to fluctuation in the parameters while trying to figure out how much to dose. I have all the test kits, so I can test daily.

As long as you are consistent in taking measurements and adjusting, you shouldn't have a problem.
As someone said above, consistency in paramaters is the key.

spscrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched from kent products and didn't have any problem I priced the jug at walmart today & was wrong at $1 or they went up they are 2.97 by mainstays & are square the drippers from lowes can be set very low drip or a stream if you drip too slow the kalk will block up the tip & it will stop I get it to do like a leaky faucet drip drip drip usually takes about 15 hours to use the gallon which is my evaportation rate for the day

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2 part dosing, Kalkwasser drip, and occasional Mag dosing with Brightwell's Mag. I hardly ever have to add any cal, the kalk keeps that up to par. I do add a LOT of alk though.

120g diplay, 40g sump, 12g frag tank.

I have lots of SPS frags with a few mini colony's.

Seachem Marine Salt

Yes, 2 part kalk and mag. No cal reactor.

LOL I think so, I never check.

I do about 10 to 15g of water changes a month. I never check the new saltwater before adding it.

I'm bad, almost never, just keep an eye on coral growth and I do have a few "canary" corals that I watch, when they look bad I know it is time to check params.

OP
OP
IPisces

IPisces

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched from kent products and didn't have any problem I priced the jug at walmart today & was wrong at $1 or they went up they are 2.97 by mainstays & are square the drippers from lowes can be set very low drip or a stream if you drip too slow the kalk will block up the tip & it will stop I get it to do like a leaky faucet drip drip drip usually takes about 15 hours to use the gallon which is my evaportation rate for the day

Those drippers sound like they should work pretty good. My next problem is space now. I need to find a space to put the holding containers. I have an end table sitting next to the tank that they could sit on but they are also in front of a window. That would probably cause algae to grow in them. Plus they would be an eye sore. I will have to think of a way to disguise them.

Your using Mrs Wages pickleing lime! What is the difference between that and kalkwasser? Is the pickleing lime better to use? Isnt that mainly for calcuim, not alk?

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 26 16.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 65 41.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 14.0%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 35 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 5.7%
Back