‘Ugly’ Fish you now love

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure we’ve all got a fish we once saw as ugly but now couldn’t live without, I know I’ve got atleast 5-6 on my list. So, here’s some of the fish I once bullied and now love;
1. Paracheilinus hemitaeniatus - I saw a male back in August, and I had never disliked a fish more than that. 5 months later and that same LFS has a ‘pair’. The setup for the fish system has completely changed and just showed how nice this fish truly looks. Whether this was also induced by my love for Paracheilinus piscilineatus im unsure.

2. Siganus niger - I’ve had a weird time with this fish. A few years ago (2021ish) I wanted to see one in person, then in October finally did. At first, it was… Strange. But at the same time, you didn’t actually see the fish as the back and sides of the tank were black. Well, throughout the day I did find it to be a fish I loved as I watched it camouflage and go nearly completely white. Well, here is that same fish.
IMG_8236.jpeg

What fish did you find Ugly and then actually turn out to love?

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have one but I would like to. Definitely ugly but interesting at the same time!
F7DD6C66-F56B-41C6-921D-11757D40F836.jpeg
The LFS where I work has one of these, he is the grumpiest rock I’ve ever seen. Definitely adorable though.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The LFS where I work has one of these, he is the grumpiest rock I’ve ever seen. Definitely adorable though.
It is so interesting to watch them move with their fins adapted to leg and feet and the way they suck in food in like 1/100 of second.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powder brown tang. Saw a few in a LFS and thought they were ugly and just poop colored. But I ended up getting one as a replacement DOA for a puffer (the guy didnt have another puffer and I was okay with the trade). I think he is stunning and beautiful now! Named him Coco.

Attachments

• IMG_4044.jpeg
    IMG_4044.jpeg
    131.8 KB · Views: 59

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love lawnmower blennies. Right now I've got a starry blenny (basically the same) and it's so fun to watch.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg a pipe fish. In a reef tank? How's he doing with flow? Feeding?
I have a few pipes in my reef. Those dragonface don't live long because they eat more pods than a mandarin and in a normal reef tank, there is just to much competition. I also have a pair of mandarins, a pair of Ruby Red dragonettes, and a pair of bluestripe pipefish.

The bluestripes I have always kept and they seem to live about 5 or 6 years as that is their normal lifespan. I have no problem with them and they require no feeding on my part.
They also constantly spawn

These Janss Pipes are another story.

I kept this guy for 7 years but I had to feed him and he only ate frozen mysis. Nothing else not even live worms. But it was my favorite and beautiful fish about 7" long.

These multi banded pipes never last long no matter how much I feed them. Again, to much competition in a normal reef so I don't keep them any longer.

If I can't keep a fish for it's normal lifespan, I don't want them

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few pipes in my reef. Those dragonface don't live long because they eat more pods than a mandarin and in a normal reef tank, there is just to much competition. I also have a pair of mandarins, a pair of Ruby Red dragonettes, and a pair of bluestripe pipefish.

The bluestripes I have always kept and they seem to live about 5 or 6 years as that is their normal lifespan. I have no problem with them and they require no feeding on my part.

I kept this guy for 7 years but I had to feed him and he only ate frozen mysis. Nothing else not even live worms. But it was my favorite and beautiful fish about 7" long.

These multi banded pipes never last long no matter how much I feed them. Again, to much competition in a normal reef so I don't keep them any longer.

Even if it didn't work, still nice to see something different for a while. It's not that exciting when everyone has the same fish.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pipefish are so neat looking!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back