☆☆ - Fall 2023 Grow-out Contest - Vote for yours today!!! ☆☆

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Fall 2023 Grow-Out Contenders

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted bubble gum digi becauseit makes away better candidate for a growout contest than a humilis which I suspect will not fare as well for many (given the mortality I’ve seen with hardier acros in other contests)

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
https://maps.app.goo.gl/m8dA7ejkn7hk7CWZ8
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted bubble gum digi becauseit makes away better candidate for a growout contest than a humilis which I suspect will not fare as well for many (given the mortality I’ve seen with hardier acros in other contests)
Its a pretty bullet proof coral but I already have a nice piece growing away. Im hoping for something that I dont have. I dont have the humilis but its not really on my list.

OP
OP
StatelineReefer

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've already killed the bonsai I got the beginning of summer. maybe i should have voted for something I have a chance at...
or is it redemption?
Viola Davis How To Get Away With Murder Abc GIF by ABC Network

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im way to excited about this lol
When will we actually order/start ? Mid Oct Mid Nov ? Just curious on time frame on when everything comes together.

I think it depends how quickly sign ups fill up and payments are sent. I know usually signups run about a month or so, but @StatelineReefer may have a better guage. If I remember right, I know Adam doesn’t like to ship late November/December due to possible delays but I could be wrong.

OP
OP
StatelineReefer

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends how quickly sign ups fill up and payments are sent. I know usually signups run about a month or so, but @StatelineReefer may have a better guage. If I remember right, I know Adam doesn’t like to ship late November/December due to possible delays but I could be wrong.
You're absolutely right on all those counts. Once Adam and I have talked over pricing and packages, orders will be taken and we'll ship. We've gotten pretty efficient at it, so this time around it should be a breeze. I expect every order will be in hand by mid November. Barring extremely cold weather and replacements, we should be well underway by then.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yeah, I'm completely with you on this. In fact, I specifically chose all of these because they're relatively fast growers(bonsai being the slowest lol) versus glamorous looking, and felt they would make for a better contest, I was really pushing for like a birds nest or digital, because not only will that open up the contest to more less experienced sps keepers because they're so hardy but we'd also have basketballs by the end of the competition.

food for thought.

I mean, as much as I love the space laser, that contest is almost like watching pain dry. if we went with digitata or bird nest even by comparison, there would be monthly, explosive growth, especially by the third or fourth month. by the end of the contest wed be judging colonies rather than side nubs. lol.

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Yeah, I'm completely with you on this. In fact, I specifically chose all of these because they're relatively fast growers(bonsai being the slowest lol) versus glamorous looking, and felt they would make for a better contest, I was really pushing for like a birds nest or digital, because not only will that open up the contest to more less experienced sps keepers because they're so hardy but we'd also have basketballs by the end of the competition.

food for thought.

I mean, as much as I love the space laser, that contest is almost like watching pain dry. if we went with digitata or bird nest even by comparison, there would be monthly, explosive growth, especially by the third or fourth month. by the end of the contest wed be judging colonies rather than side nubs. lol.
Paint dry? Well @billyocean would win that, he fertilizes his tank with paint thinner all the time.

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
https://maps.app.goo.gl/m8dA7ejkn7hk7CWZ8
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@StatelineReefer

I sent Adam a message asking about the contest but he missed the part about if I should hold off on my current order that we had talked about shipping this week.

Is there a entrance fee? are you just buying a frag ?

I was going to have him hold of on my current order to save on shipping but not sure how this all works is it posted somewhere ?
thanks

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@StatelineReefer

I sent Adam a message asking about the contest but he missed the part about if I should hold off on my current order that we had talked about shipping this week.

I was going to have him hold of on my current order to save on shipping but not sure how this all works is it posted somewhere ?
thanks
If im remembering correctly when we started the bloodbank battle it was 100$ buy in and free shipping. You could also piggyback an order onto that free shipping if you wanted. I may not be 100% correct on that, it was over a year ago now.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@StatelineReefer

thanks

There is a “buy in/entrance cost”. My understanding is the cost will be based on which coral wins, and likely plus shipping unless you do an add on order to achieve a free shipping threshold. If it’s like past contests, the buy in/entrance cost usually includes the frag, a contest sticker, and special ruler.

That said, Adam is usually really good at holding orders if you wanted to hold it longer. I’d just reach out to him by email as it’s usually quicker than PM.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back