20230926_180324.jpg

00W's AIO Smorgasbord

Aquarium Profile and Equipment

What type of saltwater aquarium is this?
Mixed Reef
Total Water Volume
115
When did you start this tank?
Jun 16, 2015
What is your aquarium made of?
Glass
Aquarium Length (inches)
48
Aquarium Width (inches)
18
Aquarium Height (inches)
24
Aquarium Overflow/Drain
Drain Style (durso, herbie, etc)
Aquarium Sump
YES
Sump Water Volume
20
Aquarium Stand
Wood
Aquarium Controller
NO
Protein Skimmer
NO
Protein Skimmer Make and Model
Lifereef vs3-24
Aquarium Reactors
  1. None
Return Pump
Eheim compaction 3000
What types of equipment are you using for water flow and circulation?
  1. Powerhead
  2. Wavemaker
Water Flow and Circulation Equipment List
Jebao OW 20 x2, OW10, Jebao 1300, 2 sicce small WaveMaker.
Aquarium Lighting
  1. T5 Fluorescent
  2. Natural Sunlight
Lighting Equipment List
Odyssea T5 HO fixture
Lighting PAR and Goals
Low
Dosing Equipment Detail
None
Auto Top Off or ATO
NO
Aquarium Heating and Cooling
  1. I am using a heater or heaters
Water Temperature
77
Heating and Cooling Equipment Detail
Eheim 300w with ink bird controller

Aquarium Water Chemistry and Parameters

pH Level
8.3
Specific Gravity
1.027
Nitrate or NO3
19
Phosphate or PO4
1.12
Calcium
440
Alkalinity
7
Magnesium
1300
Salt Brand
Red sea blue bucket
Trace Element Dosing
Kent essential elements

Aquarium Natural and Mechanical Filtration

Substrate
Bare Bottom (BB)
Substrate Level
No Substrate
Live Rock
75
Live Rock Type
Unknown
Nutrient Export
  1. Protein Skimmer
  2. Filter Sock
Water Changes
YES
Water Change Details
10% every Monday

Aquarium Tank Inhabitants (fish, coral, invert etc.)

Fish List
  1. Angelfish
  2. Clownfish
  3. Surgeonfish Tang
  4. Other Predatory
Total Fish
4
Coral List
  1. Zoanthids
  2. Soft Coral
  3. Mushroom Coral
  4. Other
Total Corals
6
Invert List
  1. Anemone
  2. Snails
  3. None
Total Inverts
0
Livestock Detail
Have a trigger which is not listed.
Livestock Quarantine
  1. No Quarantine

Aquarium Nutrition (fish, coral, invert etc. feeding)

Fish Feeding Frequency
Multiple Daily Feedings
Coral Feeding Frequency
Do Not Feed Coral Directly
Fish and Coral Feeding
  1. Flake
  2. Pellet
  3. Frozen
  4. Algae Strips
  5. Other
Auto Feeder
NO

Additional Aquarium Information

What do you think are the keys to your success in reefing?
Patience
Potential stocking list:
2 clowns(Have)
2 bengali cardinalfish(Arilrive Friday let's hope they play noce)
1 Fox face
1 Starry blenny
1 Pyramid butterfly
1Sand sifting goby?
Wrasse the rest?

Thoughts? Order of acquisition suggestions? If I had everything on this list would more than one wrasse be an option? I have a 4' 120g tank.
You might get kicked off here if you don’t include a tail spot!
 
You might get kicked off here if you don’t include a tail spot!
Should it jive well with a Starry? I love Starry blennies so I have to have one of them..
 
Mine is probably actually very overstocked but I seem to have a decent nutrient export and everything is happy and healthy.
If you have to add No3 and Po4 to the tank, I think there is no sign that you have too much livestock lol
 
Wouldn't the foxface control most of that or do you think both of them would be suitable? I know i'll have to feed seaweed sheets either way. I just donr knlw how much of abhurting these fish would put on the algae.
What size tank again? Sorry, I'd search but one hand on the grille.
 
Updated, and improved stocking list. Thoughts? Especially thoughts about order of introduction?
2 clowns(have)
2 bengali cardinalfish(arrive Friday, let's hope they play nice)
1 Fox face
1 Starry blenny
1 Pyramid butterfly
1 Springeri damselfish
1 Halichoeres chrysus
1-2 Mccoskers flasher wrasse(single or male and female????)
1-2 Cirrhilabrus rubripinnis(single or male and female????)
1 Ctenochaetus truncatus(square tail bristle tooth tang)
Sand sifting goby?
Leapord wrasses when I'm confident I can keep an "expert only" fish alive lol
 
Updated, and improved stocking list. Thoughts? Especially thoughts about order of introduction?
2 clowns(have)
2 bengali cardinalfish(arrive Friday, let's hope they play nice)
1 Fox face
1 Starry blenny
1 Pyramid butterfly
1 Springeri damselfish
1 Halichoeres chrysus
1-2 Mccoskers flasher wrasse(single or male and female????)
1-2 Cirrhilabrus rubripinnis(single or male and female????)
1 Ctenochaetus truncatus(square tail bristle tooth tang)
Sand sifting goby?
Leapord wrasses when I'm confident I can keep an "expert only" fish alive lol
What? Still no tailspot blenny, really? You probably hate tacos!
 
Updated, and improved stocking list. Thoughts? Especially thoughts about order of introduction?
2 clowns(have)
2 bengali cardinalfish(arrive Friday, let's hope they play nice)
1 Fox face
1 Starry blenny
1 Pyramid butterfly
1 Springeri damselfish
1 Halichoeres chrysus
1-2 Mccoskers flasher wrasse(single or male and female????)
1-2 Cirrhilabrus rubripinnis(single or male and female????)
1 Ctenochaetus truncatus(square tail bristle tooth tang)
Sand sifting goby?
Leapord wrasses when I'm confident I can keep an "expert only" fish alive lol
Leopard Wrasse are not hard I'm far from an expert and mine has done great from day one. They are beautiful fish in my opinion. And you still have room for a tailspot....
 
What? Still no tailspot blenny, really? You probably hate tacos!
No one answered about how a Starry and a tailspot would get along so I assumed no news meant "we don't talk about that here..." :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
 
No one answered about how a Starry and a tailspot would get along so I assumed no news meant "we don't talk about that here..." :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
I think they will be fine together if I remember right from my research.
 
Potential stocking list:
2 clowns(Have)
2 bengali cardinalfish(Arilrive Friday let's hope they play noce)
1 Fox face
1 Starry blenny
1 Pyramid butterfly
1Sand sifting goby?
Wrasse the rest?

Thoughts? Order of acquisition suggestions? If I had everything on this list would more than one wrasse be an option? I have a 4' 120g tank.
Sorry @Calmwaters ended up bouncing up the replies anyway, but thanks!!

Plenty of room for wrasses. Great genuses to add:
-Halichoeres (pigs)... chrysus, leucoxanthus, iridis, pallidus ($$), lapillus ($$$), biocellatus and claudia... could also manage a melanurus if it plays nicely.
- Macropharyngodon (leopards)... any of them. Could even go with two contrasters like a bipartitis and negrosensis.
-Paracheilinus (flashers)... any combo of them, with caution on the eightline
-Cirrhilabrus (fairies)... Can combine with caution, refer to diagram below.
1736127183952.png

-Anampses... some would say an Anampses would work like a meleagrides or neoguiaicus in a 4fter, but I feel woth other larger fish it might be cramped. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
-Pseudocheilinus... at your own risk, not recommended
-Pseudojuloides (pink streak)... tank might be too active for these shy giys, but if tank tirns out to be really peaceful, a male/female or fem/fem pair of pinkies is delightful
-Wetmorella (possums)... like the pinkies, but some individuals do better than others in larger tanks

If your tank were mine, I'd mostly be worried about the clowns but proceed with 2 leopards (black and blue star), a radiant (Halichoeres iridis), a blue flasher (cyaneus), a royal flasher (angulatus) or diamondtail (attenuatus) if I'm flush, and 3 peaceful fairies (isosceles or brunneus, rhomboidalis, equisitus, lubbocki, bathyphilus, or if I'm burning cash an earlei). All personal preferences! Pinkies and possums probably not, although I love my pair of pinkies--I'd prefer them being established first before the others came in. Re: clowns, I'd be ready to grab them and put them in prison. My clown pair started harassing my brunneus, and the second they looked at the pinkies twice they were out.
 
Updated, and improved stocking list. Thoughts? Especially thoughts about order of introduction?
2 clowns(have)
2 bengali cardinalfish(arrive Friday, let's hope they play nice)
1 Fox face
1 Starry blenny
1 Pyramid butterfly
1 Springeri damselfish
1 Halichoeres chrysus
1-2 Mccoskers flasher wrasse(single or male and female????)
1-2 Cirrhilabrus rubripinnis(single or male and female????)
1 Ctenochaetus truncatus(square tail bristle tooth tang)
Sand sifting goby?
Leapord wrasses when I'm confident I can keep an "expert only" fish alive lol
Don't get two of the same fairy or flasher. In our closed systems they don't maintain the social structure and almost inevitably both transition to males and fight to the death. I'd avoid with Halichoeres as well. Leopards with caution--basically be ready to grab if both transition.
 
Sorry @Calmwaters ended up bouncing up the replies anyway, but thanks!!

Plenty of room for wrasses. Great genuses to add:
-Halichoeres (pigs)... chrysus, leucoxanthus, iridis, pallidus ($$), lapillus ($$$), biocellatus and claudia... could also manage a melanurus if it plays nicely.
- Macropharyngodon (leopards)... any of them. Could even go with two contrasters like a bipartitis and negrosensis.
-Paracheilinus (flashers)... any combo of them, with caution on the eightline
-Cirrhilabrus (fairies)... Can combine with caution, refer to diagram below.
1736127183952.png

-Anampses... some would say an Anampses would work like a meleagrides or neoguiaicus in a 4fter, but I feel woth other larger fish it might be cramped. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
-Pseudocheilinus... at your own risk, not recommended
-Pseudojuloides (pink streak)... tank might be too active for these shy giys, but if tank tirns out to be really peaceful, a male/female or fem/fem pair of pinkies is delightful
-Wetmorella (possums)... like the pinkies, but some individuals do better than others in larger tanks

If your tank were mine, I'd mostly be worried about the clowns but proceed with 2 leopards (black and blue star), a radiant (Halichoeres iridis), a blue flasher (cyaneus), a royal flasher (angulatus) or diamondtail (attenuatus) if I'm flush, and 3 peaceful fairies (isosceles or brunneus, rhomboidalis, equisitus, lubbocki, bathyphilus, or if I'm burning cash an earlei). All personal preferences! Pinkies and possums probably not, although I love my pair of pinkies--I'd prefer them being established first before the others came in. Re: clowns, I'd be ready to grab them and put them in prison. My clown pair started harassing my brunneus, and the second they looked at the pinkies twice they were out.
Theres a lot of names I need to research haha! Awesome write up thank you very much!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new