20230926_180324.jpg

00W's AIO Smorgasbord

Aquarium Profile and Equipment

What type of saltwater aquarium is this?
Mixed Reef
Total Water Volume
115
When did you start this tank?
Jun 16, 2015
What is your aquarium made of?
Glass
Aquarium Length (inches)
48
Aquarium Width (inches)
18
Aquarium Height (inches)
24
Aquarium Overflow/Drain
Drain Style (durso, herbie, etc)
Aquarium Sump
YES
Sump Water Volume
20
Aquarium Stand
Wood
Aquarium Controller
NO
Protein Skimmer
NO
Protein Skimmer Make and Model
Lifereef vs3-24
Aquarium Reactors
  1. None
Return Pump
Eheim compaction 3000
What types of equipment are you using for water flow and circulation?
  1. Powerhead
  2. Wavemaker
Water Flow and Circulation Equipment List
Jebao OW 20 x2, OW10, Jebao 1300, 2 sicce small WaveMaker.
Aquarium Lighting
  1. T5 Fluorescent
  2. Natural Sunlight
Lighting Equipment List
Odyssea T5 HO fixture
Lighting PAR and Goals
Low
Dosing Equipment Detail
None
Auto Top Off or ATO
NO
Aquarium Heating and Cooling
  1. I am using a heater or heaters
Water Temperature
77
Heating and Cooling Equipment Detail
Eheim 300w with ink bird controller

Aquarium Water Chemistry and Parameters

pH Level
8.3
Specific Gravity
1.027
Nitrate or NO3
19
Phosphate or PO4
1.12
Calcium
440
Alkalinity
7
Magnesium
1300
Salt Brand
Red sea blue bucket
Trace Element Dosing
Kent essential elements

Aquarium Natural and Mechanical Filtration

Substrate
Bare Bottom (BB)
Substrate Level
No Substrate
Live Rock
75
Live Rock Type
Unknown
Nutrient Export
  1. Protein Skimmer
  2. Filter Sock
Water Changes
YES
Water Change Details
10% every Monday

Aquarium Tank Inhabitants (fish, coral, invert etc.)

Fish List
  1. Angelfish
  2. Clownfish
  3. Surgeonfish Tang
  4. Other Predatory
Total Fish
4
Coral List
  1. Zoanthids
  2. Soft Coral
  3. Mushroom Coral
  4. Other
Total Corals
6
Invert List
  1. Anemone
  2. Snails
  3. None
Total Inverts
0
Livestock Detail
Have a trigger which is not listed.
Livestock Quarantine
  1. No Quarantine

Aquarium Nutrition (fish, coral, invert etc. feeding)

Fish Feeding Frequency
Multiple Daily Feedings
Coral Feeding Frequency
Do Not Feed Coral Directly
Fish and Coral Feeding
  1. Flake
  2. Pellet
  3. Frozen
  4. Algae Strips
  5. Other
Auto Feeder
NO

Additional Aquarium Information

What do you think are the keys to your success in reefing?
Patience
I agree with @luis angel on this. There are LFSs that unfortunately don't deserve our business.

My current favorite LFS, and the one I go to the most often, is also one of the furthest away. It is run by a couple, probably in their 30s, that are only open four days a week but they get to know their customers, they are friendly, have realistic (read middle of the pack) pricing and genuinely appreciate the business, and they have two adorable dogs that like to hang out in the store.
We work very hard to put our money where one is treated badly. I am not very picky when it comes to food, but if I go to a restaurant where they have bad costumer service I will never go back, even if it has the most delicious food. The same applies to many things in life.
 
Speaking of that, I also discovered why I love beer so much, it's part of me too :face-with-tears-of-joy: :face-with-tears-of-joy::face-with-tears-of-joy:
20170109_115341.jpg
Heineken used amber bottles back then? :zany-face:
 
Do you guys remember me telling you about going to my LFS the other day and basically being ignored by the owner? Well I thought I would try it again today because I wanted to get a few red plants for my tank at work. They have cameras and a loud bell that comes when someone comes in the door so there is no way they didn't know I was there. I looked at the fish and plants and even looked at the aquariums for sale as well as the reptiles and vivariums I was there a good 15 minutes and no one bothered to come out of the office to ask if I needed help or anything. So I just left after I got into my car I seen the owner look out the window but then it was like he was hiding behind the huge sign on the window and looking out around it.
Sorry Amanda that's lame....
 
I'm not one to turn the other cheek, don't go there anymore, you have a beautiful lfs 1 or 2 hours from your house, tell your husband to get in the car one day on the weekend, go there and have lunch somewhere in the trip
That's a plan!!
 
It gets in your blood and becomes a part of who you are. I totally understand
My best friend and I went twice a week off the coast in California for about 10 years.
Can't say I miss everything about California but that I definitely miss.
Think I left part of my soul out there somewhere....
 
Wasn’t there some jerk on there that suggested reefing just wasn’t for you and you should take up gardening instead? What nerve! They should be kicked off R2R!
:thinking-face:
 
Do you guys remember me telling you about going to my LFS the other day and basically being ignored by the owner? Well I thought I would try it again today because I wanted to get a few red plants for my tank at work. They have cameras and a loud bell that comes when someone comes in the door so there is no way they didn't know I was there. I looked at the fish and plants and even looked at the aquariums for sale as well as the reptiles and vivariums I was there a good 15 minutes and no one bothered to come out of the office to ask if I needed help or anything. So I just left after I got into my car I seen the owner look out the window but then it was like he was hiding behind the huge sign on the window and looking out around it.
Weird!
 
I agree with @luis angel on this. There are LFSs that unfortunately don't deserve our business.

My current favorite LFS, and the one I go to the most often, is also one of the furthest away. It is run by a couple, probably in their 30s, that are only open four days a week but they get to know their customers, they are friendly, have realistic (read middle of the pack) pricing and genuinely appreciate the business, and they have two adorable dogs that like to hang out in the store.
Never been there. Which one is this???
 
We work very hard to put our money where one is treated badly. I am not very picky when it comes to food, but if I go to a restaurant where they have bad costumer service I will never go back, even if it has the most delicious food. The same applies to many things in life.
I've walked out of more than 1 establishment for that very reason.
 
The LFS we have been going to is always very welcoming. One day I went there with a bunch kids, some mine, some nieces and nephews. One employee, Kyle, had the kids test every possible parameter of the water I brought in, while the owners' daughter showed my niece how to get a school of fish to follow her fingertips back and forth.
 
The LFS we have been going to is always very welcoming. One day I went there with a bunch kids, some mine, some nieces and nephews. One employee, Kyle, had the kids test every possible parameter of the water I brought in, while the owners' daughter showed my niece how to get a school of fish to follow her fingertips back and forth.
that's great that they let the kids be involved. One time I didn't appreciate it was when the nurse said to my 3 year old..."Would you like to do Daddy's blood draw?". Ummm Yeah, my 3 year old drew my blood.
 
that's great that they let the kids be involved. One time I didn't appreciate it was when the nurse said to my 3 year old..."Would you like to do Daddy's blood draw?". Ummm Yeah, my 3 year old drew my blood.
What!! That's great. She must be a tough cookie :-).
 
Last edited:
What!! That's great. She must a tough cookie :).
with me saying "please don't move the needle, please don't move the needle". but I made it through just fine. no crying! just surprised the nurse allowed that.
 
@luis angel days like today make me feel like you picked the right area to get into the trades :face-with-tears-of-joy: spent half the day trudging through knee high snow tracing wires for pole lights that aren't working.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 19.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 40 31.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 19 14.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new