OP
00W

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK @tbrown tagged me in on the mud but i have also been entertaining the mangrove idea so now I'm following. Nice to meet you.
Lots of light get the pods not the ones that have already sprouted roots. If the roots get damaged in shipping or just in general they won't make it. Red seem to be most common I'm going to try to find black pods.
Very nice to meet you too!

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK @tbrown tagged me in on the mud but i have also been entertaining the mangrove idea so now I'm following. Nice to meet you.
Lots of light get the pods not the ones that have already sprouted roots. If the roots get damaged in shipping or just in general they won't make it. Red seem to be most common I'm going to try to find black pods.
Welcome!

OP
OP
00W

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok good to know.
Yes same seller sells the pods too.
Was thinking to grow them outside the tank until they grow roots, maybe in a glass of tank water??
I don't know but I really want to get rid of this insufferable algae scrubber which does ok,don't get me wrong just can't deal with the light. It's bright.
Plus one less plug in appliance on my tank is fine with me. :smiling-face-with-smiling-eyes:

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the record: I went to the doctor today (finally). She wrote me an order for an X-ray on my lower back so I'll do that Thursday likely. She doesn't think it's compression, so she's leaning more towards a mild sciatica. She's going to recommend chiropractor and possible physical therapy if the X-ray is clear.
So glad they are leaning towards sciatica (not that that’s not f -n-ggg painful) but better than compression!

Ok, taking bets on who has the most ridiculous MRI results on spine- me or Timmy? I say this cause he likes to and usually does win everything- lol

Last edited:

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That my friend is good news! Swing by my office and I’ll work on you for free. This is how I spent my morning also.
92C29F7D-CCD3-4FE1-85D9-BD59CA292B5B.jpeg
Are u the one in the bed or it’s a patient? I’m soo confused

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I went ahead and ordered some mangroves. I think I have enough residual light from the fuge and since my fuge is 20 inches long, I'll plant them on the other side.
Needing a good substrate to secure the roots, definitely a problem I had from my last adventure.
Any help here is appreciated.
Thinking about regular sand, Aragonite, coral rubble, crushed coral
What y'all think?
Coral rubble, sooo cool looking

Calmwaters

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is more accurate the plastic ammonia alert that goes in the tank or am API freshwater ammonia test? Fish are acting normal but I am just being careful. I don't have water made to do another water change tonight as I used what I had last night. I am mixing 30 gallons more right now but it's not at the right temp because I was tired last night and forgot to plug the heater in the barrel back up last night. Could I add seachem to detoxify any ammonia that might be in the tank? The liquid test is showing 1.0ppm which if it were that high i would think the fish would be acting strange.
20240318_184916.jpg

Last edited:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What is more accurate the plastic ammonia alert that goes on the tank or am API freshwater ammonia test? Fish are acting normal but I am just being careful. I don't have water made to do another water change tonight as I used what I had last night. I am mixing 30 gallons more right now but it's not at the right temp because I was tired last night and forgot to plug the heater in the barrel back up last night. Could I add seachem to detoxify any ammonia that might be in the tank? The liquid test is showing 1.0ppm which if it were that high i would think the fish would be acting strange.
20240318_184916.jpg
looks good ,did you peel sticker off badge ?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are u the one in the bed or it’s a patient? I’m soo confused
Testing, what put me in the hospital in December came back. In 2024 I’ve been on a high dose of prednisone more than I haven’t. But the results gave the Doctor a game plan. I’m going to get bimonthly infusions and hopefully sent to my home so I don’t have to go to an infusion center. My wife is a nurse and my daughter is a nurse practitioner. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. I bet the young reefers on here are sick to death about hearing about us older reefers health problems, lol ( that’s laugh out loud for you older reefers).

Calmwaters

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing, what put me in the hospital in December came back. In 2024 I’ve been on a high dose of prednisone more than I haven’t. But the results gave the Doctor a game plan. I’m going to get bimonthly infusions and hopefully sent to my home so I don’t have to go to an infusion center. My wife is a nurse and my daughter is a nurse practitioner. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. I bet the young reefers on here are sick to death about hearing about us older reefers health problems, lol ( that’s laugh out loud for you older reefers).
Sending you big hugs and lots and lots of prayers my friend.

OP
OP
00W

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh Kev.
All my best every day!
Peace and prayers my friend.

OP
OP
00W

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok where are my math people? Water in my roughly 35 gallon barrel is 1.030 how much fresh will I need to add to get it back down to 1.027?
Not my strong suit.
I'm going to say 2 gallons and see how close I am when Tim gets back. ;)

OP
OP
00W

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is more accurate the plastic ammonia alert that goes in the tank or am API freshwater ammonia test? Fish are acting normal but I am just being careful. I don't have water made to do another water change tonight as I used what I had last night. I am mixing 30 gallons more right now but it's not at the right temp because I was tired last night and forgot to plug the heater in the barrel back up last night. Could I add seachem to detoxify any ammonia that might be in the tank? The liquid test is showing 1.0ppm which if it were that high i would think the fish would be acting strange.
20240318_184916.jpg
I have never used either test.
These seem to be good.
I know on the forum people say the API ammonia test is bunk so stay with the badge.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok where are my math people? Water in my roughly 35 gallon barrel is 1.030 how much fresh will I need to add to get it back down to 1.027?
Sorry, I went to public school.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 51 25.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.2%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 49 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back